overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2363   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
In November 1992 Maudite (the damned one), was the first strong beer to be distributed in Quebec grocery stores. Maudite is a mahogany-colored, rich-tasting premium beer that has a distinctive, complex taste. Because of the warmth it releases, this strong character beer must be served cool but not cold. Perfect with pasta, red meats, stews and spicy dishes, it also makes a good aperitif and after-dinner drink.
Maudite has a typically Quebecois name that is reminiscent of the legend of the Chasse-Galerie (the legend of the Flying Canoe). Legend has it that a group of lumberjacks struck a deal with the devil to fly home in their canoes, guided by Satan himself, to make it home in time for Christmas.
Gold medal winner in 1995 and 1996 and the Chicago Beverage Tasting Institute.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 27, 2002
Very enjoyable. Better than some of the other Unibroue beers I have tasted but still not as good as Trio Pistoles.

homebrewer799 (12) - Roslindale, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 21, 2002
If I could bathe in this stuff, I’d drink my own bath water. Also get’s point’s for having Satan on the label. I always try to put Satan on my homebrew labels. What can I say, he’s the man! Strong malty flavor with a very noticable alcohol taste (which I love inb any beer). Very nice hop characteristics as well & some interesting fruity esters. I guarentee this beer is a cornocopia of flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NDmullet (208) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - JAN 18, 2002
this beer reminds me of autumn, the color of changing leaves and apple butter. medium, consistent head. slightly cloudy after adding yeast. aroma is full of apples and burnt fruit (raisins, apricots). tingling mouthfeel, although a little bit thin. quite complex flavor, tart, full of spice, and a touch of astringency. definitely in your face. finish is dry and slightly alcoholic. not perfect, but very enjoyable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 14, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2003 Have you ever in your life seen better labels on beer than those by the Unibroue brewery in Quebec? That being said this is a monstrous beer. Possibly the finest produced in North America and better than many of the beers it is attempting to copy, such as Duvel (Limited).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - JAN 6, 2002
Slightly cloudy orangy/brown. Nice white head and lace. Nice ’belgium’spicey nose of apples and maybe cloves?? Taste similar to a Weizenbock, malty, some citric acidity, spicyness.Superb balance. Very smooth and quite drinkable for 8%. Will kick your ass.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Turbotommy (32) - Westlake Village, California, USA - JAN 4, 2002
I was really suprised with this stuff. I randomly pull it out of a cooler at a UCLA football game and said to myself...’What the hell is this shit!?!’ My brothers, friends, and I thought the label was the coolest thing ever. Anyway, when I drank it and was expecting something nasty it turned out to be very good! Most importantly, it was my first beer, so I was in perfect sense. Sadly, I have no idea where I could possibly find more of this stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 29, 2001
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2003 A powerful spicy fruity ale with a peachy alcohol aroma. I had a 12oz bottle and can't wait to try a bigger one. 12-29-01: I'm sipping a 25.4 oz and I don't remember rating the 12oz bottle of this. After checking the bottle pile, yes I had it before. I'm knocking the palate to a 5. Great beer, way to keep them Belgians working! Like Chimay, but more offerings at half the price.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DavefromChicago (201) - Illinois, USA - DEC 29, 2001
A nice red ale. Fits well in the Unibroue product line, between the rich, strong Trois Pistoles and the clean, citrusy La Fin du Monde. Insignificant head, yeasty, winy aroma. Flavor is malty, not too sweet but finishes with a hint of sourness which detracts some from the overall experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Fantomasus (204) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - DEC 22, 2001
Hard for my inexperienced palate to rate. An odd, interesteing beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
vtmobile (42) - Alabama, USA - DEC 14, 2001
Beautiful autumn gold color, a hint of haziness, nice head, fine, lasting carbonation, great aroma. Complex, interesting taste with a hint of lemon or orange, moderate malt taste. Flavor that lingers and blooms into your nose. Worth the money! A beer to savor with good friends who are worth it.