overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2743   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kumite56 (473) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - APR 27, 2003
A nice complex brew that hides the relatively high ABV well. Spicy, fruity aroma. Tate is fairly complex, dry and fruity with a high degree of carbonation and in my opinion a little less robust that I had expected. Pretty red/brown color with a tan head rapidly diminishing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 27, 2003
i normally tend not to like the stronger ales but this one was pretty good. dark color with some fruity tinges to it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
guzzler67 (1563) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - APR 27, 2003
Dark, cloudy appearance. Nice head, but it doesn't stick around too long. Initial taste was tart cherry, the aftertaste a bit more raisiny. Very smooth finish. Alcohol punch will hit you when you are done. A subtle, complex, well-crafted beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
iam (369) - Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA - APR 21, 2003
Beautiful dark mahogany colour with a huge head that lastes forever. Aromas of malt and cherries(?)Taste not as sweet as I thought it might be and has a nice balance between the fruit and caramel malt. Alcohol wasn't too strong but was noticable. This baby just keeps getting better as it warms

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Voivod (304) - Como, ITALY - APR 15, 2003
Deep brown colour, generous creamy head. The aroma is really nice, strong and sweet (toffee), with fruity traces (cherry and strawberry). From a so strong aroma I'd have imagined a really sweet beer, but I was wrong: Trois Pistols is a really balanced beer, quite delicate and smooth with a good complexity and good fruity traces (strawberry, cherry and raisin). The sweetness (caramel, vanilla, toffee) is balanced by a nice sourness. Long aftertaste, even if a little too much alcoholic. An high quality beer; this was my first Unibroue beer but surely not the last one!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - APR 9, 2003
Cloudy amber brown color,No head of any kind.Sweet malty aroma fruity.Almost smells like rasberry os IMO like a lambic or strawberry soda pop.Very faint alcohol in the aroma as well.Flat as hell no carbonation.slightly sweet some fruit tones to it hard to put my finger on just what kind of fruit.Theres a slight watery feel to this as well with the after taste being slightly bitter fruit with a alcohol like finish.I guess i don't see the attraction to this beer its nothing special and IMO not worth trying again it just doesn't float my boat.There are definately better belgian's out there

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
desurfer (1252) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - APR 4, 2003
UPDATED: APR 2, 2004 First of all, the label is really cool. Then theres the beer. Deep ruby body with large rocky, tannish head. Huge aroma of berries and alcohol. Taste is surprisingly mellow, with a sweetness that is strong but not overpowering. There are notes of grape and malt. I see the comparison to a fine Port. It hides the 9% ABV well. Overall a great tasting beer that drinks well.

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - APR 2, 2003
Beautiful dark reddy brown pour with a medium beige head. Fruity aroma of plums, mixed berries, cherry syrup, vanilla and hazelnuts. A top on the line beer. Very smooth, and a cool name!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
GearHead (32) - Woodridge, Illinois, USA - MAR 31, 2003
I think this was my first real "beer". I tried it a couple years ago and I have been trying all kinds of different beer since. I went back to it the other night and the taste took me away again. The deep color and fruit smell made me salavate just waiting for a taste. A nice bit of bubbly in the beer. Good fruit and roast flavor. Still one of my favorites.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
bruno1378 (126) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 30, 2003
smells and looks great, but really didn't like the taste at all. had a very strange aftertase that I couldn't place. Reminded me of the strange aftertaste that I didn't like about La Maudite.