Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2767   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
desurfer (1261) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - APR 4, 2003
UPDATED: APR 2, 2004 First of all, the label is really cool. Then theres the beer. Deep ruby body with large rocky, tannish head. Huge aroma of berries and alcohol. Taste is surprisingly mellow, with a sweetness that is strong but not overpowering. There are notes of grape and malt. I see the comparison to a fine Port. It hides the 9% ABV well. Overall a great tasting beer that drinks well.

bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - APR 2, 2003
Beautiful dark reddy brown pour with a medium beige head. Fruity aroma of plums, mixed berries, cherry syrup, vanilla and hazelnuts. A top on the line beer. Very smooth, and a cool name!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
GearHead (32) - Woodridge, Illinois, USA - MAR 31, 2003
I think this was my first real "beer". I tried it a couple years ago and I have been trying all kinds of different beer since. I went back to it the other night and the taste took me away again. The deep color and fruit smell made me salavate just waiting for a taste. A nice bit of bubbly in the beer. Good fruit and roast flavor. Still one of my favorites.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
bruno1378 (126) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 30, 2003
smells and looks great, but really didn't like the taste at all. had a very strange aftertase that I couldn't place. Reminded me of the strange aftertaste that I didn't like about La Maudite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DYCSoccer17 (3513) - Woodland, California, USA - MAR 30, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2007 Beautiful mahogany color beer with a robust khaki-colored head. This beer is extremely carbonated (maybe its more carbonated in the 12 oz bottles?) Aroma is very intriguing with a fruity bouquet. The start isnt doesnt equal the aroma, it is much more mellow. The finish is good for a 9% beer. I do notice the ethanol aftertaste more with Trois Pistoles than La Fin du Monde, though. Still a very enjoyable beer(9/5/8/4/17 4.3).------- bottle purchased at BevMo in Natomas. Fruity, vinous, raisin, dried plums, brown sugar, and molasses are all present in the nose. Some candy sugar sweetness also is there. Aromatic, delightful. Moderately hazy light mahogany/dark amber body with a faster dissipating head than expected. Head is light tan. Spritzy, vinous, fruity, plummy, followed by some yeasty esters and some roasted maltiness. The flavor is nice, but this is not as nearly as rich or flavorful as I initially thought. Either my palate is getting spoiled or this beer is slipping in terms of quality...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 29, 2003
In a smaller capped bottle, I'd like to try this in the corked bottle. When I have someone to split I will probably try it. Dark ruby color. Tan, creamy head. Very little sediment. Almost no carbonation. Very yeasty aroma, just like a Strong Belgian should be. Very sweet flavor. Yeasty flavor. Slightly spongy mouthfeel. Very tasty concoction.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Probiere (992) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 26, 2003
Snap, crackle, pop! It’s a strange thought when you realize that it’s your beer talking and not your cereal. A steady quarter inch head topping what looks incredibly like port wine. I smell. . .strawberries and citrus and plums and dusty hay. Yeast and alcohol too. First sip is too raw and carbonated. I let it warm for a bit. Rich and full flavors of tart fruit with a hint of malt. Dryish swallow with sweetish, lingering aftertaste. Quality. . .but. . .I didn’t really like it. Too much like thick sparkling wine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAR 22, 2003
Translucent brown color, crisp on the palate, tiny bubbles lacing down the side of the glass. Nose of dark fruits, ginger(?).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
vector (163) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 18, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2003 Poured with huge foamy head much like other Unibroue beers I've tried. The beer was rusty colored and cloudy. The initial smell was slightly fruity with a overwhelming malty sweetness. Some fruity notes to the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mreeves (276) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - MAR 17, 2003
Excellent beer. My favorite from Unibroue. Dark, highly carbonated, unfiltered. Very smooth and full of flavor. Similar to Chimay but much cheaper. Highly recommended.