overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2672   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
dhurtubise (568) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 19, 2002

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 18, 2002
Very nice, but it not in the same league as a high quality trappist ale. It does not have the fine aroma that I want in a BSA. Taste is light for the style.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SimonPatrice (312) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 18, 2002
Hazy dark brown but lighter than I remembered. Winey, spicy aroma with notes of bubble gum, bready yeast, green apples and blackberries. Very complex. It has flavors of berries, alcohol, plums? and roasted malt. A fine beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - AUG 14, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2003 Rerate - 10/20/03:
I don't really like this now. It has an odd mix of Juicyfruit gum and tomato juice. Very complex, but I just couldn't shake this tomato juice thing...it really turned me off. The numbers reflect this sample.

Original rating - 8/14/2002:
Nice nice. Strong floral aroma. The taste was much like wine. The high alcohol content isn't really noticable in the taste. This beer is an opaque brown...really pretty. I'm not quite ready to rate beers this complex yet, so I'm sure I will re-rate this someday.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - AUG 12, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 23, 2003 (Re-rate) A hazy dark brown almost ruby colored. Moderate but persistent tan head. Aroma is of vinous fruits(raisons,figs,berries), vanilla, subtle yeast and others, simply stellar. Flavor consists of huge malts that ride along the whole way,clove,maybe mint, marshmellow,vanilla, touch of honey,fruity sweetness (overly ripened cherries?) and yeasty twangs on the side of tounge. Almost thick bodied, very mellow,cant taste the alcohol but can feel it. The yeast is a bit more dominate as it warms but adds another dimension to this gift. This is why we drink beer boys..........

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nagash (207) - Paris, FRANCE - AUG 12, 2002
Caramel, chocolate and cherry taste. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sparky99 (4) - petoskey, Michigan, USA - AUG 7, 2002 does not count
this was a very good effort for a belgian strong ale that surely lived up to its name. its a must try brew!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - AUG 6, 2002
Very thick and potent. Its very port like. Its also not very much my style, i detest port. The aroma was like chocolate and cherries, other fruits. the finnish was something i couldnt describe, but the taste was just port and thats it. The alcohol isnt hidden too well at times. It kind of grows on you, but dont let THIS review influence you. I feel bad rating it lower due to its prestige.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MrDick (347) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 5, 2002
Every beer I rate as I listen to Tom Waits Sounds like sweet perfume But there’s never a rose in the night The ale pours dark and smooth Like blood seeping from a cut And the flavor really shines As it blossoms Chocolate, orange, and cinnamon Strikes against the tongue Like a crooked tower bell That I overhead one day As I drank down trois pistoles.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Erol99 (24) - Ontario, CANADA - AUG 3, 2002
Wow... I bought this beer b/c this site rated this the 2nd best canadian beer... and I’m not dissapointed. I can’t really taste the 9%.. the flaour is strong, fruity... sweet, sort of like a wine but still a beer. Definately something I’ll buy again. One of those beers you sit down and enjoy. Wouldn’t chow this down at a party to get drunk.