overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2684   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MrDick (347) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 5, 2002
Every beer I rate as I listen to Tom Waits Sounds like sweet perfume But thereís never a rose in the night The ale pours dark and smooth Like blood seeping from a cut And the flavor really shines As it blossoms Chocolate, orange, and cinnamon Strikes against the tongue Like a crooked tower bell That I overhead one day As I drank down trois pistoles.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Erol99 (24) - Ontario, CANADA - AUG 3, 2002
Wow... I bought this beer b/c this site rated this the 2nd best canadian beer... and Iím not dissapointed. I canít really taste the 9%.. the flaour is strong, fruity... sweet, sort of like a wine but still a beer. Definately something Iíll buy again. One of those beers you sit down and enjoy. Wouldnít chow this down at a party to get drunk.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - AUG 2, 2002
Iíve been beer hunting for about 8 years now, and for some reason, I never have gotten around to buying any of the Unibroue lineup. I think that something about the graphics and the bottling sets me off. So, it is with superb delight that I write this review. The bottle opened with a champaign-like pop. Surprisingly, some beer foam followed (I might have agitated this sucker during the car ride home.) Alcohol was quite evident in the aroma, but I could sense fruit and malt hiding behind. Now for the coup de gras, the flavor of this magnificent beer. Fruit tones envelop the tastebuds as alcohol warms the tongue. Wonderful malt complexity and the yeast go a long ways contributing a nice ester-y spiciness. Overall, this is one of the best beers I have tried in the past year. Thanks to Ratebeer for pointing me in this direction!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
shintriad (700) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 1, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2003 Not as good as other Unibroues I've had, but if you like the thick, port-like variety of beer this is for you. Very heady taste and aroma, dark, cloudy reddish appearance and a thick, almost too-sweet flavour. I like the fact that it's got a kick to it, but I find Maudite much more refreshing and tasty. Rerate: After my horrible experience with Blanche de Chambly, I can't help but notice similar Noxema-esque notes to this brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - JUL 31, 2002
I initially had this too cold, and the aroma reminded me of smelly socks, with the flavor being like the sauce you get with broccoli beef at a bad chinese place with the broth from the socks mixed in. However the second one i had warmer and i noticed the fruity aroma a little more as well as the referance they make to port wine. However, still doesnt quite do it for me, perhaps the buzz helped it taste better as well. Still a decent brew all the same.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 28, 2002
Nice Dark Amber brown color, the aroma and flavor are spicy yet sweet. A very good brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUL 26, 2002
The first thing that hits me is that this stuff tastes and feels like coca-cola. Luckily that initial impression dims impressively as the spicy yeastiness rises through and a tasty warmth spills over, but the beer seems cheapened still, littler than it should be.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
senjiro (35) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - JUL 16, 2002
very nice spiced fruit flavor. remarkable rust golden color. perfect mouthfeel.

aracauna (3138) - Georgia, USA - JUL 15, 2002
This may sound odd but the flavor reminded me a bit of watermelon. Maybe it was the esters combined with some of the other yeasty flavors but it was interesting. Smells like a good belgian should. Not as spicy as some, but the estery fruitiness is good. Having trouble with some of the spicier belgians, this is a good beer to me. It had less of the fuzzy mouthfeel that a lot of Belgians have. I think thatís a good thing as some feel too fuzzy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUL 12, 2002
UPDATED: APR 10, 2005 7/12/02: Fizzy carbonation. Complex sweet, spicy flavor. Warms the tummy and packs a wallop. Iím starting to like Belgians. 8/12/03: The pour is the color of prune with a thin tan head. Aroma is of sweet, fruity malt and yeast. Complex flavor includes hints of cherry, grape, spices, yeast and a little port wine. Mouth feel is champange like. It has a long dry mouth watering aftertaste. The 9% ABV makes its presence known.