overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2650   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 19, 2002
Mmmmmm. Nice, rich, fluffy head that rises full, then quickly deflates. Lovely caramel-y aroma that’s sweet and inviting, with an alcohol bite in the background. The flavor is smooth, but with an alcohol bite. The port comes through strong. Great for after dinner hanging out with good friends and good conversation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
argo0 (11450) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 19, 2002
Quickly dissipating head leaves a still liquid that’s a little on the red side of muddy brown. Aroma is curranty/raisin and sour cherry, with hints of malt and alcohol. In the flavor, the fruity and malty richness is impressive, as is the complexity. One drawback is that the alcohol presence is more than I would like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAY 18, 2002
Not my favorite beer, a little too sour. But Belgian Strongs arent my favorite style to begin with.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
CQC (224) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAY 17, 2002
Sweet malty aroma with chichory and Liquorish. Most enjoyable. etc.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Davhgbrew (938) - Coconut Creek, Florida, USA - MAY 16, 2002
A dark lively brew, very faint aroma, palate is smooth, finishes balanced with hints of grapes. Great brew, my favorite from Unibroue.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
spaque99 (8) - Quebec, CANADA - MAY 15, 2002 does not count
My favorite beer in Quebec.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 13, 2002
I dislike gushers, even though I have made a few. That said, my first taste came quickly - lips to bottle while I reach for the glass. A bit assertive out of the bottle. What remained poured to a high head with a murky brown color. Scent of sweet lavender. Very smooth feel. The alcohol really comes out in the finish. Flavors of dark cherries, bananas and currents. Slight oak in the dry finish as it warms.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - MAY 13, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 19, 2007 The best birthday gift I ever got. Brilliant cherry/berries/cookie dough aroma. Deep brown color with beautiful rocky light brown head. Just the right amount of bitterness and sweetness. Vinuous and fruity. Only gets better as I drink more. Watermelon aftertaste. I am going back to the store tomorrow to buy more. Best beer I’ve had so far. UPDATE: this is just too cloying sweet for me now.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Steak (124) - New York, USA - MAY 11, 2002
The aroma was an intoxicating blend of various berries and burnt chocolate. The dark blood red-purple color was a superb. Tastes so sweet to start, then turns sour, and then just the right amount of hops in the finish...incredible. I also got a hint of chocolate after licking my lips! Does share similar charactertistics with dark wine in the dry aftertaste, but that’s not a bad thing. The only neagative was that the carbonation was a bit on the extreme side, unfortunately. Superb, and closer to a wine than a beer in my eyes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - MAY 11, 2002
I bought this because some have said it tastes like Rochefort 10. Not quite... it tastes like Ommegang. It lacks the thick and creamy mouthfeel, and the alcohol is too hot. Not bad, but disappointing. Try Weyerbacher Quad if you want a REAL and acceptable substitute for the real thing.