Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2767   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nagash (207) - Paris, FRANCE - AUG 12, 2002
Caramel, chocolate and cherry taste. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sparky99 (4) - petoskey, Michigan, USA - AUG 7, 2002 does not count
this was a very good effort for a belgian strong ale that surely lived up to its name. its a must try brew!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - AUG 6, 2002
Very thick and potent. Its very port like. Its also not very much my style, i detest port. The aroma was like chocolate and cherries, other fruits. the finnish was something i couldnt describe, but the taste was just port and thats it. The alcohol isnt hidden too well at times. It kind of grows on you, but dont let THIS review influence you. I feel bad rating it lower due to its prestige.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MrDick (352) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 5, 2002
Every beer I rate as I listen to Tom Waits Sounds like sweet perfume But there’s never a rose in the night The ale pours dark and smooth Like blood seeping from a cut And the flavor really shines As it blossoms Chocolate, orange, and cinnamon Strikes against the tongue Like a crooked tower bell That I overhead one day As I drank down trois pistoles.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Erol99 (24) - Ontario, CANADA - AUG 3, 2002
Wow... I bought this beer b/c this site rated this the 2nd best canadian beer... and I’m not dissapointed. I can’t really taste the 9%.. the flaour is strong, fruity... sweet, sort of like a wine but still a beer. Definately something I’ll buy again. One of those beers you sit down and enjoy. Wouldn’t chow this down at a party to get drunk.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - AUG 2, 2002
I’ve been beer hunting for about 8 years now, and for some reason, I never have gotten around to buying any of the Unibroue lineup. I think that something about the graphics and the bottling sets me off. So, it is with superb delight that I write this review. The bottle opened with a champaign-like pop. Surprisingly, some beer foam followed (I might have agitated this sucker during the car ride home.) Alcohol was quite evident in the aroma, but I could sense fruit and malt hiding behind. Now for the coup de gras, the flavor of this magnificent beer. Fruit tones envelop the tastebuds as alcohol warms the tongue. Wonderful malt complexity and the yeast go a long ways contributing a nice ester-y spiciness. Overall, this is one of the best beers I have tried in the past year. Thanks to Ratebeer for pointing me in this direction!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
shintriad (700) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 1, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2003 Not as good as other Unibroues I've had, but if you like the thick, port-like variety of beer this is for you. Very heady taste and aroma, dark, cloudy reddish appearance and a thick, almost too-sweet flavour. I like the fact that it's got a kick to it, but I find Maudite much more refreshing and tasty. Rerate: After my horrible experience with Blanche de Chambly, I can't help but notice similar Noxema-esque notes to this brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - JUL 31, 2002
I initially had this too cold, and the aroma reminded me of smelly socks, with the flavor being like the sauce you get with broccoli beef at a bad chinese place with the broth from the socks mixed in. However the second one i had warmer and i noticed the fruity aroma a little more as well as the referance they make to port wine. However, still doesnt quite do it for me, perhaps the buzz helped it taste better as well. Still a decent brew all the same.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 28, 2002
Nice Dark Amber brown color, the aroma and flavor are spicy yet sweet. A very good brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUL 26, 2002
The first thing that hits me is that this stuff tastes and feels like coca-cola. Luckily that initial impression dims impressively as the spicy yeastiness rises through and a tasty warmth spills over, but the beer seems cheapened still, littler than it should be.