Urban Chestnut Magpie
     click to upload

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 3.08/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.9   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
Our Smoked Brown Ale in honor of ’Newcastle’ and their club. Sung to - "When the Saints Go Marching In"
Who’s that team we call United
Who’s that team we all adore
Oh, we play in Black and White,
And we all know how to fight,
We’ll support you ever more.

Oh when the Mags, go marching in,
Oh when the Mags go marching in,
I want to be in that number,
Oh when the Mags go marching in.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
seymour (1478) - Maplewood, Missouri, USA - OCT 12, 2012
Sampled at the brewpub. It poured a nice hazy copper color with lasting beige foam and lace. Extremely strong smoky aroma which masked most everything else but faint caramel, fruity ale esters. Too smoky, not balanced, but I will say it tasted real (as opposed to the artificial "liquid smoke" essence of some smoke beers.) Tasted like a Newcastle with ash stirred-in, not very pleasant. Light-medium body, average carbonation, charred aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
gregwilsonstl (1143) - Missouri, USA - JUL 5, 2012
This is interesting. Smokey and tastes like Bacon. Hazy brown. Pecans. Flavorful, but not well balanced.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
kwoeltje (2232) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - JUL 3, 2012
(sample at brewpub) brown with off white head. Smoke/peat aroma. Flavor is roast malt with a lot of smoke.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
phaleslu (6812) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 23, 2012
Draft at the brewpub. Pours a hazy, dull, brown-hued amber with a small, lasting off-white head. Aroma of mild smoked malts, peat, pork, brown sugar, and a grassy, earthy, leafy note. The flavor folows just about the same lines, with mild smoke along with peat, earth, and a little backing sugary sweetness. Medium-bodied, with medium carbonation and an earthy, peaty mouthfeel. I thought the smoke was a bit too mellow and it was all a bit muddled. Not as overwhelming as vyvvy warned me it was.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
vyvvy (4134) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - JUN 22, 2012
Pour brown, since it is smoked brown ale and all, with an off-white head that has decent retention. The aroma overwhelms me with bacon, peat, meatiness and all things smoke. Medium bodied with semi-sharp carbonation. The flavor begins much like the aroma with lots of smoked malt giving lots of meaty flavors. However, there is some maltiness that can be detected that has a toasty nuttiness. It’s also fairly sweet as well. The finish adds a sour aspect that doesn’t work for me either. I love UCBC, but this one is not for me at all. Even considering this is a smoked beer and trying to be objective I still couldn’t rate it any higher. Hopefully this beer works for other folks better than it did for me.