Valley Brew Stockton Sour (Phils Wild Mild)

(RETIRED)
Valley Brew Stockton Sour (Phils Wild Mild)
     click to upload
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 29   MEAN: 4.12/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
This beer started as an English Mild, prior to hopping the wort it was cooled and transferred into a fermenter and a blend of three Belgian strains of Pedio, Brett and Lacto were added. The beer was entirely fermented in the wild state and aged for 2 years. Our initial batch of 1 BBL has been followed by a second 1 BBL batch. A larger 7 BBL batch is planned in the near future.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sunevdj (3176) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - MAY 18, 2008
Bottle at the brewery. Pours a hazy dark amber with almost no head. Quite sour with some sweetness. Aromas of malts and residual sugars. Also hints of glue and lactose. Very soft carbonation. Milky mouthfeel. Very nice, and a lot like the Rodenbach. Thanks!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
AgentSteve (1614) - SF Bay Area, California, USA - MAY 15, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2008 Pours like cognac with no head and no carbonation. The nose is tart cherries and a touch of funk. It floats over your tongue like velvet. The flavor is cherry sour front, evolving to a sweet mid, that gives way in the end to a toasted nuttiness. Excellent brew!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAY 10, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2008 Wait ok check glass, yeah it still says Valley Brew even though I could swear I briefly glimpsed Rodenbach on it. I close my eyes and smell it again and I am instantly transported to pre-Palm Roselare. Wow this has a spectacular nose, crack in liquid form that could just as easily be the perfume of a bikini model. Did Steve channel the Rodenbach gods or perform some strange voodoo beer ritual over this? I am afraid to taste it because that amazing nose cannot be topped. Big yet soft yet bold and spicy with herbal fruit notes and wonderful bread and oak come thru. Oh shit my glass is almost empty but at least I saved money on that plane ticket. And it could not be named after a nicer guy, uglier than hell but a damned great guy. >>>>>>>>>>> Wild Mild aka The Road Back-While taking a stroll through the fields of Flanders sipping from a Valley Brewing Chalice I could have sworn that I heard whispers telling me to take the road back, but where was it and where would it lead? As I took in the beauty of my surroundings and the amazing liquid in my glass I noticed a road to my left nestled in the trees. As I followed the winding road all of my senses alive with the sounds and sights of nature I realized that a simple journey could transcend almost any experience. When I turned the last corner a sign came into view but it was too far away to read and the sun was setting directly above it so that I could not focus directly ahead of me, I picked up my pace and noticed that I was down to my last quaff of Brew the sign was directly in front of me and I was finally able to make out what it said which was simply, Roselare. Wild Mild is a beer that pays homage to the wonderful brewing traditions from Flanders Belgium. Soft and delicate yet bold, spicy, herbal and tannic with a wonderful appetizing acidity this is a marvel of depth, complexity and balance that belies its strength, a great beer to enjoy with a good cigar or as an alternative to Red wine with dinner.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerguy101 (5287) - Newark, California, USA - MAY 4, 2008
Tasted at the February Northern California Beer Tasting. WOW!! This sour poured a murky amber brown color. Little of no head, no carbonation. The aroma is malt, woody and tart, with some funk. At first I thought this was an old Rodenbach Grand cru, then it sort or reminded me of a Valley Brew effenbock, then I wasn’t so sure. Damn nice beer though. The beer is very complex and seems to change character with each sip. Lots of malt, fruitiness, funk and tartness. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MesandSim (7119) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - APR 30, 2008
A Mes rate: bottle at Chris_O’s Ha Ha Ha Ha Gimme the Cheese Tasting.
Beautiful red amber brown with no head or carb. Awesome aroma that is both sour and malty and just an excellent combination. The yeast is obviously Belgian and very Rodenbach. Lovely fruity notes and just all round perfectly poised. Flavour is not quite so fantastic but it’s still a cracker. Awesome sweet / tart balance, lovely and soft and a glorious prickly yeasty warmth in the belly a la Rodenbach as it should be. Very slight oxidised and metallic notes. Dry and fruity finish with more lip smacking sourness. Complex and bloody brilliant.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
harrisoni (13800) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - APR 25, 2008
Bottle at Chris_o’s The Wolf tasting. Beer of the evening for me. Rather a lovely sour aroma. Bit of wood. In mouth, sweeter and maltier than you would expect from the aroma. Great sour finish. Good sour beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
thewolf (11188) - Kolding, DENMARK - APR 22, 2008
Bottle @ Chris_o.
[my 2700th rating]
Pours deep coppery amber with no head - which is no surprise, as it is not carbonated. Aroma is wonderful, complex, yet mild. Some port character with a great spiciness to it - especially herbs like thyme and a good woody finish. No carbonation makes it wonderfully oily as well - even despite the impressively low ABV. Flavour is dry, woody, crip maltiness and a subdued berry note. Wonderfully tart, really balancing nicely into everything else. A truly well-composed brew - too bad there was so little, and now, that there are no more :o(

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GG (2039) - NorCal, California, USA - APR 3, 2008
Steve just knocked this one out of the ballyard. I mean this is one friggin’ great beer. He broke this one out after a visit from Phil_L and faro, and let me tell you this is quite exquisite. I have no doubt in my mind that if this were available to more people, this would quite easily be in the top 25. It’s that good.

The aroma is huge amount of wood, soft caramel, funk, tart and balsamic-like with huge fruit notes. The flavor manages to incorporate the same aroma notes and eases into an incredible finish. This stuff just want to make you roll the liquid around on the palate to extend the pleasure of drinking. You can get lost in a beer like this. Kudos to another masterpiece by Steve.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Phil (178) - Kent, ENGLAND - FEB 13, 2008
BeerGeeks - Feb, 12’08. At the Valley Brewing Plant. A drink among friends... what a beer first up. Blind, this was a Flemish Red, old Rodenbach in style, and very much in flavour. Really really impressive stuff. This would kick most new Flemish sours into a cocked hat, probably all of them. Limited in volume, but so f’ing good... and, I was smiling like a goon when I was given this. Great woody notes, light caramel, amber red hues, and that typically light body - and the funk just so easy... the tart well incorporated. Damn it this was supposed to be my 100th beer! argh! It is that gooooood!