overall
Brewed by Brasserie à Vapeur
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Leuze-Pipaix, Belgium

RATINGS: 461   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
9%vol. 33, 75 and 150cl Beer very amber in color, strong, nose fruity and delicate, soft and round with the palate; slightly hopped but correctly spiced (roasted chicory, coriander, and sweet orange peel, among other ingredients). Bottle fermented and complex. On the Port-y side fresh. Spiced distinctly with orange, corriander and chicory. Should cellar nicely.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
fiulijn (16395) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 6, 2003
Cochonnette. Beautiful red-amber color. Aroma of malt; warm alcohol. Good body strength, but average malt presence and a touch of alcohol; warming. Strong ale, lacking of character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
JPDIPSO (5045) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2003
Amber color with a ton of "floaties". Fizzy foamy head. I don't suppose it would be quite as fizzy if I had not dropped it as I checking in at the hotel and the cap started to leak and I was forced to sip it over the cap as I went to my room... Sweet yellow currant aroma. Sweet honey and grape flavors. Really sweet. Light pepper and orange in the finish. Much to sweet for my tastes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Kåstå (1273) - Mol, BELGIUM - JAN 24, 2003
Amber coloured beer wtih a small head. Fruity liquorice aroma. There is a slight metallic taste, unfortunately. Light bitter and liquorice taste with hints of port wine. A well balanced beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheBeerGod (5537) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - JAN 8, 2003
This one wasn’t bad. Pour a dark brown with lots of sediment. The head was light brown and the sediment mixed with the head. The odor reminds me of citrus fruits and slight spiciness. Definite alcohol taste to it but the taste is somewhat dry. There’s a slight zip on the tongue when it touches it. There’s also some candyish notes within as well. It’s sweet, indeed. Worth trying. One thing I didn’t like is the stupid label - a pig running with a white t-shirt that has a pig on it. C’mon, we can do better than that!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - JAN 2, 2003
what a label,that is one happy pig, my label different though quite similar to picture.My label is a female, and is wearing a T-Shirt. I smell Vinegar, thats not good, decent lace,predictable head, yep its bitter, and a disapointment at first, there is some Belgian sugar in here though as well as some pepper,not good for beer,it is quite different, somehow reminds me of flavored soda pop, can’t think if I like it or not, quite an odd beverage,apple abounds here, not orange so much, but there is corriander here too, your choice if you find a bottle, can’t say if I would have another one,well maybe.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - DEC 8, 2002
Petite Vapeur.Ive had terrible and great beers from this brewery.This bottle was very good.Brown sugar, brandy, cocoa aroma.Murky brown appearance with fine carbonation.Mellow coffee caramel spicy flavors with orange zest finish.Lingering dryish licorice finish.I think this ale benefited from aging a year or so.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - NOV 30, 2002
Lots of thick foam on the pour, clouded reddish/amber body. Nice sweet fruity aroma, apple, grape and blackcerry syrup. Vary sweet on the palate, green apple, very yeasty, high alcohol finish but hardly sours or bitters. Sludgy sediment around the top of the bottle after pouring.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 23, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2003 a headless bright orange swamp..visible fumes of tart lemon, guezeishness..barnyard citrus carnivals..how surprised I was to find absolutely NO carbination whatsoever..I'm not sure what is going on here? woody notes on top of unexplainable chardonney-like vibes..some metalicness in the aftertaste..turns very chardonney-like..now that I think about it..tastes more like wine than beer.. drying apricots & plums with more metal...vinous endings and apricot aftertaste

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MrDick (351) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 19, 2002
I poured this ale, my attention diverted to some other dimension, and then realized my glass was full of the yeast sediment from the bottom of the bottle. Not that I don’t like the yeast, but little chunks were floating EVERYWHERE. Not to be deterred, I continued with the drinking. Poured dark brown with little head. Sour. Malty. Bitter. Hints of fruit. Not an exceptional belgian ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerguy101 (5338) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 20, 2002
Dark brown color, small head. Very malty, sweet with an apple like flavor. Flavored with orange peel and coriander. Taste is a complex blend of fruitiness, chicory, hop bitterness and malt sweetness. Some alcohol bite (9%). Mouthfeel is smooth and full, slightly oily (alcohol). Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Interesting beer.