overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2698   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ando (105) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - DEC 10, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 20, 2008 *I like it will buy it again* the cork says exp date nov.2007 app: NICE, I poured it right into a duvel tulip, a 2 finger head. deep rich garnet ruby color kahki colored head.. its just pretty. smell: sour, little dark viniger, some spiciness in the nose. I love this smell. I really do. something inviting and wamring about it. taste: Yum Yum Yum. a little sweet and meek up front then mild sour tartness then more refined sweets, then booze on the breath like a nice post white wine sip. actually the soft fruity sweet finish reminds me a lot of a very mild white wine... little pepper in it to. has a little spice and spritz in the back of the throat that reminds me of the way sparkiling cider that I had to drink on new years when I was young felt. very balanced, very smooth then exciting then smooth again. I was a little worried that it would be a lot more sour than it is.. cause I have this big bottle all to myself. BUT its easy sailing. mf: spritzy, alive.. I wish it was more carbonated. and or thicker.. I dunno. Its good.. Actually silky, thats it, I wish it was more silky. drinakble?: very very drinkable.. the cider type spritz spice, slows you down a little.. also the feeling like drinking to much cider, that if you chugged vats of this you would have to sit down on the pot for a long time slows me down a bit. OverAll: today was my 1 year day of joining BA, great beer to have as a reward for putting up with that silly site. This is really great beer, and if you are scared of the whole wild beer sour tart pucker thing, no worries here. It is there but mild. I think some of the lady’s might even love this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DenverLogan (1009) - MileHi, Colorado, USA - DEC 10, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2007 The Duchesse tastes more like a black cherry soda than a beer! Minimal head but big aromas. I describe it as a liquid SweetTart with balsamic notes. It pairs wonderfully with: smooth cheese, stinky cheeses, hearty soups, endive salads (can be used to make salad or other dressings). It’s lovely with turkey and cranberry, pork roast, carbonades, and especially with desserts from tiramasu to chocolate molten cake. There’s no fruit in this one but it tastes like cherries. Not like a real lambic or kriek because of the sweet and balsamic component. There is some variations in the taste of this beer from batch to batch. While drinking a glass it seems to mess with my tongue in fun ways so I taste differences as the glass airs out. Truly fascinating but if sharing with newbys, don’t call it a "beer!" Many will immediately not like this beer, but many non-beer drinkers will love it at first sip! Many experimenting with sours (gueuze, framboise, etc) will find it a lovely excursion. I find it a bit more complex than Monk’s Sour, which I also like. Moonlight Brewing in Calif. is doing a similar funky Flemish styles with their 60 to Life and others. But there’s nothing like the Duchesse!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
wj94 (69) - Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2007
This is actually the first sour ale I’ve ever had. It was....interesting. Almost tasted like someone dumped some champagne in a brown ale and called it a new drink. Aroma itself is sour and smells of cherries/cranberries/orange. Flavor is tough to describe - very tart, a little malty, hint of apple on the finish. I expected something more sour than this, but still enjoyed it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JamesD (243) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2007
This beer is fairly odd. I was expecting something more sour than this, but it is still good. In appearance it is like looking through a burgundy prism. The aroma is higly sour and smells somewhat of red wine and cranberries. The flavor is more subdued. It is tart, crisp, combined with maltiness and a little bit of raisin flavor. It reminds me of a Spanish manzanilla sherry I once drank in terms of fruitiness. Specifically there are hints of raisin, raspberry, some green apple. At first I was disappointed because I was expecting something very sour, but the more I sip it, the more I appreciate it’s mellow blend of sourness, maltiness, and earthy fruit. Seek this out and buy a bottle!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - DEC 5, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2007 Tart and crisp. Unripened grapes and tart cranberry, many green grapes and pleasant green apples and bitter bacteria cultures. Super acidic and very rotten cherries that come to life when the carbonation hits the tongue to activate the flavours. A bit of orange peel in there too. Then the sugars and a subdued maltiness hits you. Very vinous. My first sour, and many more to come. Simply fantastic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
lordeche (479) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 5, 2007
Pours red-brown with frothy head. Aroma of cherry, oak, yeast, sweet molasses malt and some vinous notes. Flavor is only slightly sour cherry and grape with really well balanced sweetness. Amazing balance, but not much in the way of sourness. To be honest, I’m not sure what to make of this one, as it is really drinkable but doesn’t strike me as a well-made sour ale.

riversideAK (6040) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - DEC 3, 2007
Brown with red hue and a nice light brown head. Aroma is musty, yeasty, and fruity with some vinous notes and a little balsamic vinegar. Flavor is lightly sour with some grape like vinaigrette. Rather light, and extremely easy to drink. Good stuff. My first Sour Ale, and I like it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beltramelli (470) - Campinas, BRAZIL - NOV 30, 2007
Inusitado (mas bom) aroma de cola de sapateiro (!), intenso e maravilhoso. No refrescante paladar, azeitonas verdes e cerejas. Final de uvas vermelhas. Uma cerveja única.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
leninthedesert (116) - Nevada, USA - NOV 28, 2007
Pours a rich cherry/amber color with a full and frothy head. Aroma is reminiscent of sour apples. Comes on strong and sour but mellows into a fruity-sweet and warm-alcohol finish (almost aperitif). Incredibly complex palate that manages to be both fruity and earthy, sour and sweet. A great beer in short - a fine sour ale.

jalichio999 (502) - BRAZIL - NOV 27, 2007
Garrafa. Coloração avermelhada, com creme bege. Vinho, malte, doce, salgada. Carbonatação média. Álcool diferente. Personalidade. Aroma de fermento e cola de sapateiro. Única. Singular. Leve, suave. Sabor muito intenso pra pouco álcool. Um dos rótulos mais lindos que já vi. Parece quadro.