overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2555   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hapjydeuce (979) - Carlsbad, California, USA - MAR 21, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2008 Iíve come back many times to rerate this beer, and I find myself enjoying it a bit more each time I get it. I can remember my reaction the first time I had this...blegh! Appearance is similar to flat coca-cola, deep burgundy / copper-brown color. Thin lace and no head, but plenty of carbonation. Wild yeast funk in the aroma, but less so than other prominent sour ales; mostly sweet oak wood notes and some pepper and ginger. The bolder flavors linger towards balsamic / vinegar notes. Tingly carbonation on the palate with each sip. A bit more sour funk versus the stronger acetic acid nose would round it out nicely in my book.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
robinvboyer (3568) - Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 19, 2007
bottle at the Beer Bistro. Awesome stuff! very nice and tart, with a slight grape flavour. very smooth, and satisfying. excellent in this style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 19, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2011 Itís been a while since Iíve tried this beer and itís more complex and satisfying than I remember. It pours a ruddy deep ruby color, with a frothy head and huge funky nose. But the flavors are subtler than this wood suggest, balancing the crisp dry grape notes with not only woody-ness but also with an intensely creamy quality, for lack of a better term. This doesnít so much detract from the tartness as provides a winning contrast - and it also makes this fine beer stand out from other sours.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JoeinDahlem (1378) - Berlin, Berlin, GERMANY - MAR 14, 2007
Bottle. Cola-like appearance, thin head. Sour red wine aroma. I feared this beer would be too sweet, but it actually a nice balance between a sweet kriekish flavor and a sour, sparkling grape juice. My favorite part was the dry, old, filthy finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
William (202) - Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - MAR 14, 2007
On tap at Belgie in Utrecht. A bit too sweet for my taste, almost comparable to some Kriek beers. Nice head and beautiful glass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hoser (370) - Cowtown, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 11, 2007
My wifeís favourite beer, and of late there is always some in the cellar. Page 476 of Michael Jacksonís Great Beer Guide.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
cathcacr (643) - Oregon, USA - MAR 10, 2007
I wouldnít say sour, so much as bitingly, harshly tart. I donít think Iíve ever had anything anywhere near as tart. Aroma pungently tart. But itís a rare occasion that you have an aroma thatís actually there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
CheersMate (1315) - Fremont (Seattle), Washington, USA - MAR 9, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2007 I liked this beer due to the fact that it was a nice surprise. I had no idea what to expect. When I first popped the top on this sucker I was not expecting a sweet and sour smell, but it definitely did have one. After the pour, I noticed the beer had a brown and red hue. Great color. The total shocker came when I actually drank the beer, and I must say it was VERY sweet. The taste of cherries lingered inside of my entire mouth. Creamy, very little head, and a very fruity aftertaste. I was surprised and the only reason this beer did not rate higher was due to the fact that it at times was TOO sweet. Not my favorite, but also not bad. Cheers!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
estoves (41) - GŲteborg, SWEDEN - MAR 9, 2007
Bottle.Dark ruby brown body with a large fizzy and creamy lasting head. Sour smell of wineager. Flavor is sour, sweet with som notes of wood and sour berries. Way to sour for me, probably not bad for its style, but i certainly dont like the style now.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Wolfenstein (96) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2007
Bottle: pours dark brown with little head. It has a nice wine aroma. A bit tart but still sweet. Big cherry nose. A bit like a sour green apple on the finish.