overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2391   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
trokini (1025) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 15, 2006
Very enjoyable beer. Pours a clear brown with no head. Aroma is sour malt and apples. The taste is very light and smooth. Sour up front that turns sweet, almost like a brewer’s take on champagne. It got better as it warmed. Will definitely seek this one out again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ross (2100) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - MAY 13, 2006
Dark colored pour with a small head that bubbles away quickly. Smells sour and fruity. Taste is the same but it provides a nice oaky flavored backbone to it to nullify the sourness. An interesting brew to say the least. I liked it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mjg74 (2492) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 11, 2006
Bottled. Pours a dark ruby color. Aroma is sour, with hints of champagne. Slighty sour up front with a roasted flavor. Some sweetness. Very tart at points. Reminds me a little of champagne for some reason. Slightly fruity in flavor. Pretty full flavored.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bartzilla (551) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 8, 2006
Nice! Sour. Like eating salt and vinegar potato chips, minus the salt and potatoes. This would be a great summer brew. A good example of a sour beer that’s not overdone for the sake of a large ingredient list. I’d love to make something like this, but I don’t have the patience for the souring process or the fermentation time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
shrubber85 (7956) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - MAY 5, 2006
Bottle. Dried cherry / fruit wine aroma. Light reddish brown color with small head. A very nice sweet-tart dark cherry flavor - very much like a fruit wine. Great taste and easy to drink.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 3, 2006
I did not really care for this beer, but had to rate it in a way that was fair. It has a lot of taste and aroma. Very strong on both categories, so rating it lower do to the fact that I would probably not drink it again would not be a good way to have consistent ratings. Anyways, smells and tastes almost exactly like malt vinegar. The first thing I thought when I had this beer at the local pub was that it would go great with fish and chips. Very acidic. Ok, so, well, I lied... I would drink it again. I know, it’s strange, I liked it, in a weird sort of way... Something about it, maybe the mystery of it has me wanting more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JFURYCAT (1079) - East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 30, 2006
Another awesome beer from Tidiaguy! At first I wasn’t too impressed and I was thinking of plums mixed in cabernet but this really grew on me halfway through. The tartness is more mellow compared to other sour ales as it blends nicely with the fruity and oaky elements.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 27, 2006
330 ml bottle, purchased at BevMo, La Jolla. Pours a gorgeous deep mahogany red, with a creamy beige head that lingers nicely. Aroma of light apple cider, vinegar, oak, tart cherry, a little earth and must. Wow, initially displays an almost syrupy sweet fruity flavor, which quickly reveals woody notes and continues to a sour raspberry and vinegar finish. Refreshingly fruity and yet alarmingly sour all at once. Nice blend of tart, tannic and sweet. Medium body and a fine, tickling carbonation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Beerdedone (2743) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2006
UPDATED: APR 26, 2006 Bottle sampled with Stegosaurus. Pours a bronze red\brown with an off-white head. Aroma of fruit and alcohol. Flavor is sweet, fruity, with a sour tart finish. I didn’t care for this at all, and halfway through the bottle i got bored and dumped mine.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - APR 23, 2006
I bought a bottle of this on the suggestion of a random guy at the bottle shop. While I agree with his assessment that "this beer kicks ass", I feel I should go into more detail. Poured gently into a snifter from a bottle that read "Best Before 3/30/07", this beauty developed a slightly fizzy tan head that maintained nicely. The body color was more red than brown, and was simply gorgeous when held up to the light. While I am not very experienced with wine, this beer’s aroma reminded me a lot of some reds that I’ve sampled. I also noted some oaky notes in it too. After a few minutes I thought I smelled roasted meat as well...strange but true. Not knowing what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised by acidity noted on the tip of the tongue, and tartness- especially midpalate. In the finish there was still tartness, balanced by a strange sweetness. Very interesting beer and damn good.