overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2774   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ilovedarkbeer (2711) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - DEC 14, 2007
Pours a brown color with a yellow white creamy head. Smells of meat and sugar. Tastes like beef, sugar, honey, and some spice. Very different and somewhat hard to get used to but I can see the merit.Nice beer in the flemish style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
pintsize (1042) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 14, 2007
12-13-07 bottle. Deep amber brown colored with nice lacing. Smells of a white wine spritzer and cherries - not awful - just a bit heavy on the alcohol in the smell for me. Sour, but acutally it was much more sweet in flavor than anything else, I was very surprised. Crisp dry finish. Aroma, taste, and even slightly the texture remind me of white wine. Overall, I would like to have again. I would prefer more sour and less sweet though.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
lb4lb (2587) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 13, 2007
Dark, deep reddish brown pour that lets some light through. Smell is kind of a funky, sour cherry and wine like aroma without a strong offputting vinegar scent. Gooey band-aid-y aroma that I donít care for, though. If that were in a regular beer it would be called infected. If itís in a Sour Ale, its pleasant?? Flavor is sweeter and less sour than expected. Fairly sweet up front, but finishing dry with a bubbly champagne like body and flavors that are reminiscent of cherry, grape and cranberries. A bit hard to describe as its only my 1st or 2nd sour ale. All in all, not a bad experience and a unique beer that is like a funky fruit soda. I would have to get used to that odd smell though, to really enjoy this beer again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ando (105) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - DEC 10, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 20, 2008 *I like it will buy it again* the cork says exp date nov.2007 app: NICE, I poured it right into a duvel tulip, a 2 finger head. deep rich garnet ruby color kahki colored head.. its just pretty. smell: sour, little dark viniger, some spiciness in the nose. I love this smell. I really do. something inviting and wamring about it. taste: Yum Yum Yum. a little sweet and meek up front then mild sour tartness then more refined sweets, then booze on the breath like a nice post white wine sip. actually the soft fruity sweet finish reminds me a lot of a very mild white wine... little pepper in it to. has a little spice and spritz in the back of the throat that reminds me of the way sparkiling cider that I had to drink on new years when I was young felt. very balanced, very smooth then exciting then smooth again. I was a little worried that it would be a lot more sour than it is.. cause I have this big bottle all to myself. BUT its easy sailing. mf: spritzy, alive.. I wish it was more carbonated. and or thicker.. I dunno. Its good.. Actually silky, thats it, I wish it was more silky. drinakble?: very very drinkable.. the cider type spritz spice, slows you down a little.. also the feeling like drinking to much cider, that if you chugged vats of this you would have to sit down on the pot for a long time slows me down a bit. OverAll: today was my 1 year day of joining BA, great beer to have as a reward for putting up with that silly site. This is really great beer, and if you are scared of the whole wild beer sour tart pucker thing, no worries here. It is there but mild. I think some of the ladyís might even love this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DenverLogan (1097) - MileHi, Colorado, USA - DEC 10, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 12, 2007 The Duchesse tastes more like a black cherry soda than a beer! Minimal head but big aromas. I describe it as a liquid SweetTart with balsamic notes. It pairs wonderfully with: smooth cheese, stinky cheeses, hearty soups, endive salads (can be used to make salad or other dressings). Itís lovely with turkey and cranberry, pork roast, carbonades, and especially with desserts from tiramasu to chocolate molten cake. Thereís no fruit in this one but it tastes like cherries. Not like a real lambic or kriek because of the sweet and balsamic component. There is some variations in the taste of this beer from batch to batch. While drinking a glass it seems to mess with my tongue in fun ways so I taste differences as the glass airs out. Truly fascinating but if sharing with newbys, donít call it a "beer!" Many will immediately not like this beer, but many non-beer drinkers will love it at first sip! Many experimenting with sours (gueuze, framboise, etc) will find it a lovely excursion. I find it a bit more complex than Monkís Sour, which I also like. Moonlight Brewing in Calif. is doing a similar funky Flemish styles with their 60 to Life and others. But thereís nothing like the Duchesse!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
wj94 (69) - Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2007
This is actually the first sour ale Iíve ever had. It was....interesting. Almost tasted like someone dumped some champagne in a brown ale and called it a new drink. Aroma itself is sour and smells of cherries/cranberries/orange. Flavor is tough to describe - very tart, a little malty, hint of apple on the finish. I expected something more sour than this, but still enjoyed it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JamesD (243) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2007
This beer is fairly odd. I was expecting something more sour than this, but it is still good. In appearance it is like looking through a burgundy prism. The aroma is higly sour and smells somewhat of red wine and cranberries. The flavor is more subdued. It is tart, crisp, combined with maltiness and a little bit of raisin flavor. It reminds me of a Spanish manzanilla sherry I once drank in terms of fruitiness. Specifically there are hints of raisin, raspberry, some green apple. At first I was disappointed because I was expecting something very sour, but the more I sip it, the more I appreciate itís mellow blend of sourness, maltiness, and earthy fruit. Seek this out and buy a bottle!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - DEC 5, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2007 Tart and crisp. Unripened grapes and tart cranberry, many green grapes and pleasant green apples and bitter bacteria cultures. Super acidic and very rotten cherries that come to life when the carbonation hits the tongue to activate the flavours. A bit of orange peel in there too. Then the sugars and a subdued maltiness hits you. Very vinous. My first sour, and many more to come. Simply fantastic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
lordeche (479) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 5, 2007
Pours red-brown with frothy head. Aroma of cherry, oak, yeast, sweet molasses malt and some vinous notes. Flavor is only slightly sour cherry and grape with really well balanced sweetness. Amazing balance, but not much in the way of sourness. To be honest, Iím not sure what to make of this one, as it is really drinkable but doesnít strike me as a well-made sour ale.

riversideAK (6140) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - DEC 3, 2007
Brown with red hue and a nice light brown head. Aroma is musty, yeasty, and fruity with some vinous notes and a little balsamic vinegar. Flavor is lightly sour with some grape like vinaigrette. Rather light, and extremely easy to drink. Good stuff. My first Sour Ale, and I like it!