overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2524   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rybowen (105) - Los Angeles 90039, California, USA - AUG 5, 2006
Beautiful red color with off-white head and an exotic, winey aroma. Flavor is sour, balanced with malt, which is interesting, and assertive. Yeasty flavors underneath and a tinge of hops in the finish. Nice, outside-the-box brew. I like it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
frankR (145) - Davis, California, USA - AUG 4, 2006
New brew at my local beer store under the Belgium section. The label said blend of 8 oak barrel aged ales, sounds up my ally. The brew pours with a rich dark amber liquid and light frothy head. Aroma is an ambrosia balsamic vinegar and Jack Daniels oak barrel. Flavor is sour? Strangely this is my first "Flemish Sour Ale". Iím not sure what to make of the flavor; my palette is unaccustomed this. Nonetheless interesting enough to write my first ratebeer.com review in over two years. My favorite part is the palette. It has a chardonnay oil film type texture while having a bold thick body. Having never tasted another "Flemish Sour", itís hard to tell where this stacks up. I’ll keep my eye out for another.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Trooper11 (468) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - AUG 4, 2006
Pours a deep red color, with a large off white, foamy head that diminishes quickly leaving behind a strong fruity sour grape aroma with a hint of alcohol. Light body with medium carbonation. Very fresh, crisp grape flavor. Medium sweetness. Taste to me like a sparkling wine. Nice drink though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
abb73 (27) - Orlando, Florida, USA - AUG 3, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2006 Had this on tap. Nice sweet and sour candied fruit aromas. Pours a slightly hazy reddish-brown with a very fizzy head that was quickly diminishing, but left a decent amount of lacing. Nice and sour like a gueze with a good ripe fuity balance. Definitely a little balsamic vinegar in the back, which is more pronounced in the bottle version than this tap version. This has quickly become one of my favorite beers. If you know someone who wonít drink beer because they prefer wine, give them a taste of this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
kimcgolf (872) - Dacula, Georgia, USA - AUG 1, 2006
This was my first Flemish Sour, and it really grew on me. Poured to darlk brown with hints of red, and a thick tan head that lasted for the whole drink and left excellent lacing. The aroma was very funky, reminded me of those old Paz Easter Egg Coloring kits where you drop a colored tablet in pure vinegar. I was afraid of what I would be drinking next. To my great surprise, the taste was excellent. It was sour fruit, and at first caught me off guard, but I quickly adapted. Finish was dry, sour and warming. I bought this in a 4pack, and was concerned that I may have over-bought. Now, I know I will be heading back for more.

TonyBanannas (36) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 31, 2006
Whoa, pretty complex stuff. Bottle, poured a deep red, just about maroon, clear. Light tan head, little lace. Ok, where to start. Aroma is almost wine like. Taste is vinegary, though multiple fruits seem present. Iím talking about grapes, prunes, raisens, and apples. I can invision all these things when I take a sip. Lightly sweetend finish. Not a bad brew, evern for someone who enjoys the more bitter beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
lgklotet (432) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JUL 31, 2006
Dark red colour, opaque. Huge aroma of wine and cherries. Palate is incredibly rich and full, sweet and sour at the same time. Layers and layers of flavour going on here. Must have this again!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
bubbleflubber (1982) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - JUL 28, 2006
The pour is dark, deep ruby-prune with a quickly diminishing head and no real lacing (I watered the glass a bit first, to be fair). The aromas are of vinegar, silos, sourmash and fresh cherries. Vinegar flavors accompany very sour fruits and a syrupy tart finish. This coats the tongue, sometimes unpleasantly pungent, and makes for a vinegar fruit juice mouthfeel. I canít say that this is my favorite style nor brew, as I KNOW vinegar in depth, as I once had to take straight multiple shotglasses of it daily (for health). The bottle Iím currently rating has EVERYTHING to do with vinegar.... almost too pungent for me to enjoy, but I do appreciate the complexities at work, and am rating accordingly. This is certainly a "specialty" drink, and one that Iíll be happy to revisit later to see if the flavor contingencies are veered more toward "sour fruit" than "vinegar" (there is a difference, even though some might argue differently). My bottle may have been non-indicative of style.

sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 20, 2006
Draft at Dilly Deli: Dark brown to black pour, with a light tan head. Aroma of grapes, prunes and other dark fruits, some alcoholic sweetness. Flavor, dark fruits, dry grapes, a bit sour/tart. Nice finish, really a good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jason (1727) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 20, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2006 Bottle enjoyed during the blackout over candlelight and a good book. Very nice smell, almost too pungent at first but got me excited for the ale. Keeps a great appearance with a great head that stayed until the end and a dark ruby color. Very nice sour taste. At first it might be too much but comes along great as it warms. The taste left me wanting more each time. Very enjoyable and I think that the poweroutage helped me enjoy this since I had nothing else to do. Great dessert beer and one I need to pick up more of. Cheers!