overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2293   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - FEB 21, 2005
Perfumey, sweet, pleasant aroma. Color is a clear dark red-brown. Taste is sour and sweet. The sourness is of the stinky cheese variety. I feel like I’m drinking bacteria. The sweetness ruins it a bit. The sweetess is really simple; like sugar water. It’s almost like putting sweet n’ low in iced tea.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
stouby (3700) - Holbæk, DENMARK - FEB 20, 2005
Bottle, at beer festival. Brown with off-white head. Fruity aroma and flavor. Sweet and acidic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DocLock (7731) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 17, 2005
Thanks to beerhandy for this. Pours cloudy ruby/orange through light (dark brown in ambient light) with smallish head. Aroma of big tart cherries, malt, prunes. Tastes very tart, with tons of cherries, a solid malt backbone, and some finishing earthy peat elements. Complex and nicely balanced. Delicious.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
steview (1019) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 7, 2005
mmm, cold and in a tulip / a great complement to my sherbert. sugary acidic fruit, woody, and delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - FEB 2, 2005
Bottle courtesy of wohlfs. Pours dark mahogany with a thin beige film for head. Very sour vinegar nose. Also has hints of dark fruit in the aroma. Initial flavor is grape like wine that turns very sour. Very oily mouthfeel. Has a strange sweet/sour aftertaste. Once you get past the initial sourness, this is a very good brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sully (1377) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - JAN 31, 2005
Tasted both on-tap and from the bottle in Brugge. The former is certainly the best way to sample this beer as it comes out beutifully. There is a russet body with white head in the pour followed by a large burst of cidery fruit aromas. The apple and pear comes through but there is a hint of blackberry and cherry as well. The taste is smooth and reminiscint more of a fruity rose style wine. I could imagine this one in the Aussie summer with a kilo of fresh prawns with the cricket on TV.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
GoldenSpunky (120) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 29, 2005
Guest Draft at the Old Toad. Alittle hesitant to try this sour ale but the risk payed off. The aroma was of sour apples and cherries. I was prepared for a very sour taste but when i took my first sip I was pleasantly surprised. The sour beginning was overtaken by the sweet finish. The flavors were all over the board but all good. The high carbonation of this sour ale brings out the flavors in every sip of this exquist style of ales.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JAN 29, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2006 Id like to re-rate this. Phenominal! I could live off this stuff. The right balance of complex offputting shades of red...sour apples, grapes, and lots of black cherry. Small vinegar texture, good for the heart. Lots of bubblies and a neat well laced head. You cant do wrong with this stuff. I will admit the first time I had this, I was a bit culture shocked...took a few times for me to become a fan.!

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Schooly (2) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 27, 2005 does not count
Awful. Looks good, but that is where it stops. Tasted rotten apples and hints of metal. Tasted like carbonated rotten apple juice. The next morning, I woke up with a cooking sherry taste in my mouth. Is this even considered beer? I wonder if I got a bad batch. Like RAYBOY01, I could not finish it

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 22, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2006 Finally started to come around to this style of beer...although I must admit it took quite awhile and a bunch of attempts. This one is definitely an aquired taste. Very tart/sour aroma along with some fruitiness and wine-like characteristics. Vinous texture as well. Very tart flavor with sour fruits like cherry and raspberry. It took me a year, but I finally did a 180 on this wonderful beer. My mind is right now!