overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2286   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JAN 29, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2006 Id like to re-rate this. Phenominal! I could live off this stuff. The right balance of complex offputting shades of red...sour apples, grapes, and lots of black cherry. Small vinegar texture, good for the heart. Lots of bubblies and a neat well laced head. You cant do wrong with this stuff. I will admit the first time I had this, I was a bit culture shocked...took a few times for me to become a fan.!

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Schooly (2) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 27, 2005 does not count
Awful. Looks good, but that is where it stops. Tasted rotten apples and hints of metal. Tasted like carbonated rotten apple juice. The next morning, I woke up with a cooking sherry taste in my mouth. Is this even considered beer? I wonder if I got a bad batch. Like RAYBOY01, I could not finish it

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 22, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2006 Finally started to come around to this style of beer...although I must admit it took quite awhile and a bunch of attempts. This one is definitely an aquired taste. Very tart/sour aroma along with some fruitiness and wine-like characteristics. Vinous texture as well. Very tart flavor with sour fruits like cherry and raspberry. It took me a year, but I finally did a 180 on this wonderful beer. My mind is right now!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kane (111) - USA - JAN 13, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2005 This rating is based on a tapped version. Served in its proper glass it was a dark brown with a 1.5 inch off-white head. Aroma was a mild sour fruit. Here is where the similarity between the bottle version and the tap version differ. The bottle version I have tried is sour and effervescent, the tap version is sweet and flat. I prefer the bottle version, which is my response with most Belgians.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TBone (12333) - Pori, FINLAND - JAN 7, 2005
Bottled, 25cl (BB 04/2006)
Dark red cherry color, brown small head, sour fruity aroma of vinegar. Flavor is sour cherries, raw grapefruits and dry apple cider. Light to medium bodied. Finish is sweet apples and fruits and lambic sourness with rubbery tones. First this had maybe too unique palate to enjoy but after few sips this turns to be interesting and complex.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dorwart (2359) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Almost no head with very little carbonation. Head does appear upon swirling. Sour grape aroma with some raisins, oak and a bit of molasses. Color is a a nice dark reddish amber. Succulent flavor of cherries, sour grapes and a bit of malt for balance. Flavor is thin but very juicy. Makes the mouth salivate. Finish is pretty dry and slightly sour. A very good sour ale and one of the better ones I have had.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
sayravai (4667) - Helsinki, FINLAND - DEC 21, 2004
(Bottled) Dark amber color with a medium, tight and very lasting, beige head. Strong, wineous and earthy sour cherry and vinegar aroma. Sour and acidic, but also sweetish-malty, cherry flavor. Medium-bodied, sticky, foamy-carbonated palate (was quite warm, though). ABV very well-hidden. A nice one as a Flemish sour. This would make a great salad dressing with some added garlic, olive oil and spices :)

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
jefcon (1357) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - DEC 20, 2004
Decent-looking, but that’s not the point here. The aromas of vinegar and even horseradish are strange and out of place. The finish is sickly sweet. I wondered if something had gone wrong with the bottle fermentation until I read other reviews. Maybe it’s my unsophisticated palate, but I simply didn’t like this "Flemish Sour Ale," and cannot vouch for the beer or the style. Sorry.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dorqui (2083) - Brescia, ITALY - DEC 19, 2004
Dark red color much elegant one. Adherent and compact foam of optimal duration. Intense and delicate scent. Smell of wine and yields red. In mouth it is warm and wrapping, its do not feel themselves nearly 6.2% degrees. He is similar very to an Italian wine called Bonarda. Indeed optimal.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 10, 2004
A very interesting dark amber beer with strong hints of raisins, grapes, cherries and currants. Very reminiscent of a fine dessert wine.