overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2231   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - JUN 25, 2003
well, i tried several minutes to pronounce the name of this beer, which wrenched my palatte around considerably, perhaps diminishing my total gustatory acuity (greater wrenching was yet to come). kind of a fizzy poodle-hair shag of beige bubbles: loud ones--sounded like a sparkler going off. a rosewood or cherrywood color, like a well worn pipe. and fairly fume-agacious with the aromas: like with champagne you can smell the carbon dioxide, then there's russian laquer boxes and goat cheese, and how a mule's tail can smell when he's having an uppity day. flavor is nice, a dense cider of sour cherries, plums and golden delicious apples, with a few drops of black chocolate resin. meanwhile the carbonation hacks away frenetically at the tongue-- would work wonders cleaning battery terminals. too tart for salads, perhaps decent to season saurkraut. lemony finish. i liked it. real cute. i was ready for a beer afterward tho.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Roli (405) - laval, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 17, 2003
I was wondering if I should rate it for the quality of the beer or for i mutch I liked it. I don't really enjoyed that beer, but I could taste the quality in it. Fruits, wine, and spice give it a sour and sweet taste, but a little too sour for me (maybe later..)Ain't my kind.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 13, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2004 Re-rate--- WOW.... I had this on tap at obrien's and damn....I am impressed. I still havn't had too many sour ales, although my cupboards are filled with many, but this beer is now one of my favorites. Pours a deep brown with a beautiful frothy, rich head with aromas of red berries, and even a little chocolate. Flavor is more of the same with a sourness that makes you want more. A slight tobacco ,smoke and the greatest mouthfeel...damn.... I am impressed. OLD RATING -This is my first flemish ale tasting so I have nothing to compare it too, but this was very flowery and sweet. Very tart. would be suuitable with a heavy dinner. 6/4/7/2/14-3.3

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JUN 13, 2003
It's been so long since I've had one of these Flemish ales. Delicious red wine qualities with snappy sourness and perfect effervescence. Tartness strangely hits me in the back of the throat, which is fun at the beginning, but gets rather irritating as I drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2003
Enjoyable sour ale that was more balanced than the previous sours tried. Brown in color with hints of cherries and dry spice to complement the tartness. A nice lasting head that left lace throughout the glass after sipping for a long while. A nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
guzzler67 (1484) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - JUN 9, 2003
Color of a hazy Beaujolais. Cherries and apples in the aroma. Grapes, raisins and cherries add to the tart and sour taste. Complex style that the ordinary palate needs to adjust to in order to appreciate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUN 7, 2003
(Best by 4/May/04) The beer poured effortlessly out of the bottle and produced a magnificent head. The nose is bursting with cherry, iron, and spice. The palate is medium in body with a pleasant dryness that is coupled with a Champagne sparkle. The beer is enormously fruity and refreshing. As for the finish, it is lingering and quite tart. I really like this style of beer, refreshing and perilously drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 2, 2003
Brown color with a tinge of orange. Fluffy beige foam. A wine vinegar aroma with some oak and light fruitiness in the background. Malt sweetness and tart cherries heavy in the flavors. Hints of metal distract. Light and refreashing. As it warms additional malt flavors emerge. I think I need a large sample.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
jgb9348 (4493) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Well, this will be the first flemish review for me, so here goes. I bought this because of a review of two sales people at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo, New York. The pour is very nice, a dark brown/burgundy colour with a 95% opacity. A small slightly tan head is on the top with some large bubbles. The aroma is almost completely vinegar smelling. Vinegar types of champagne, zinfandel and even a slight balsamic smell. Imagine a combination of those three vinegars and you might begin to imagine the smell of the beer. The taste was very unexpected...almost soda like. I am a person who loves sour foods, so this was right up my alley. Very bright sour beginning of sweetened/soured fruit and some vinegar. A medium bodied beer which goes down very nice without the slightest hint of alcohol. The only real reason to dock this beer points is the palate factor. After the inital sour taste, there is very little else, except drying. But overall a great beer, and I can't wait to try another Flemish to see where this one ranks!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 14, 2003
Still trying to get my cheaks to stop puckering after this one. The flavor was like sour grapes with vinegar notes. The aroma was sour and vinegary with a slightly sweet fruity background. the burgundy body is topped by a medium thick off-white head with a good amount of lace. Full bodied, dry and slightly warming.