overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2229   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jazz88 (2527) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 12, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2003 Bottle (7 4 7 4 16). Dark red with a light brown head. A sugar sweet berry aroma. Very fruity in flavor with a hint of oak and a sweet palate with an aftershock of sourness. Re-Rate on tap at the Toronado Belgian beer month (8 4 9 4 18). Deep mahogancy color with a tan laced head. Sweet, tart, fruity, and a full mouthfull.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
schm1005 (151) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 11, 2003
It's like they put granny smith apples in a red ale. It makes me smack my lips with the sourness. I have never had a sour ale before so I am impressed. I wasn't sure that I would like it that much but they balance the sour fruity tones with adequate malt flavors so it is not overwhelming. I enjoyed this beer though I may not be able to drink too much at one time.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - FEB 11, 2003
Ocassionally I have a beer that works its way into the recesses of my brain and sparks sudden flashes of memory from god knows when - like some olfactory snapshot of my childhood. This for some reason, brought an image of the first time I ever tried my parents' wine. This is a mix of fermented green apple, clove, sour grape, and potpourri. There is a sharp hint alchohol and an insistent tinny taste that runs along the palate and sits on the back of the tongue - very very tinny, tastes like I licked a metal pole. But, save for the unpleasant finish this is a decent red.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Oakes (11786) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 9, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 14, 2005 Well-named, as its burgundy colour would indicate. Mix of woody lactic notes, tomato, pomegranate, apple skins and acetic notes. Sweet maltiness in the palate, alongside icing sugar, caramel apples, and a light acetic note which spoils an otherwise clean lactic undertone. Sweet & sour, quite drinkable, but I do find the acetic notes to be rather off-putting. You have to love acetic acid (vinegar) to love this beer. If you don’t, it’ll go down the drain.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - FEB 9, 2003
I can not appreciate this style, the winney taste distracts for me. The sweet and sour I can understand but it just does not come together for me

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SteC (131) - Oostende, BELGIUM - FEB 6, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2007 This one is a typical beer in its style, initially very spicy and fruity, and more bitter and sour later on. Very surprising when you drink this one for the first time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - JAN 30, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2003 My perspective has changed quite a bit after sampling other examples of this style. I'm not sure how I gave it a 2.4 initially. No head to speak of, fairly carbonated, mostly cherry flavors, earthy/soggy (like a forest after a heavy downpour). Noticed a touch of pepper. I disliked the metallic twinges that fluctuated from extremely evident to non-existent depending on the sip. I'll be getting this one again, if only to contrast and rerate yet again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JAN 30, 2003
The aroma nearly scared me off. As others have mentioned, balsamic vinegar to the max! There is also a good measure of acetone and acetaldehyde. Once my nose got over the initial shock, additional notes began to emerge: Various tart fruits, and a backbone of saddle leather. This sits in the glass with a reddish brandy-like color and a thin, articulate head that will not let go. Taste is sour and tart, and pretty sweet. Mostly cherries, but some sour apples and even plum. The finish is somewhat discordant with the rest of the beer as it swoops in from above; somehow the finish is pretty dry and it drains your mouth of all flavors but the sour very quickly. Fleeting metallic hints.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JAN 30, 2003
Ruby red, quite a large bubbly head that sloooowly faded. Initial tastes were sour bing cherry candy, mellowed as it warmed. Tart on the sides of the tongue and thickly sweet down the middle. Finish was a dry woodiness with some lingering sour/tart.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JAN 27, 2003
This beer poured a very dark red color and formed an amazing, huge pillow like head that left some very amazing laticed like lace. Heavy and beautiful style carbonation present. An aroma of malt and wine(but not sure of style). A flavor of malt, wine, and cherries. The finish was rather tart, brought on by the heavy carb and the wine aspect no doubt. It was the finish that hurt this beer in the end from getting a higher rating from me. I felt it hurt the overall flavor of the beer. But it is not a bad beer and worth trying.