overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2371   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gorbalev (2943) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 26, 2004
Well, certainly my first beer of this style. Iíve got to say a beer full of surprises. First the appearance - a dark reddish brown. The aroma is certainly balsamic vinegar, but there is an equal amount of raspberry in there as well. The taste is sour and very sweet, which I enjoyed, but the vinegar aroma didnít carry over much for me. The finish is dry, sweet and short. I really really enjoyed this and was not totally expecting too. Thanks Rudge75, this was truly a great beer experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Joeh (2049) - Buckinghamshire, ENGLAND - MAY 26, 2004
Bottled. Sweet sour, vinegary, acidic. Sherbet. Very much like the Rodenbach, but not quite as good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2535) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - MAY 24, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2008 First rating, Iíd like to preserve: Grapey with balsamic vinegar in the nose and flavor, which is sweetish and complex, but man, that balsamic vinegar is everywhere, hard to judge of its good or not. I like vinegar and had only recently sat down and tasted some quality stuff, but when its the dominant flavor of a beer...? Dark amber color. Acidic and strong. Hard to rate.

Next up, a few years later and a second bottle of it, and no hints of balsamic vinegar. Yes, there is plenty of acidity, but its also quite sugary sweet and presents with a bit sweet n sour profile, moderately vinous, only vaguely fruity. Fairly smooth and easy to drink too. Iím keeping the numbers the same actually, but for entirely different reasons.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 21, 2004
Small bubbly head, reddish color with medium carbonation. Great sour fruit aroma. Sour, fruity, sweet, complex, reminds me of some good port wines. Slightly bitter finish. It is a beer I like to drink last in a session, I like the fact that the foam clings to the glass, a very good and enjoyable beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jimhilt (2421) - Bow, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 17, 2004
Pours with a two-finger white head leaving that fades quickly but leaves a good lace. Clear, deep reddish amber. Nose is raisin. Tastes of raisins and apricots, smooth with sweetness but has a slightly tart finish. Complex - sweet and sour. A 330ml bottle was $3.50 from Colonial Liquors, Acton, Ma.

Dixen (1465) - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA - MAY 17, 2004
Bottle at DBF 2004. Deep red body, with a nice white head on top. The aroma is sour, sweet, leather, balsamic vinegar, very complex. Flavor is about the same, and some saltiness. Very good one. Im beginning to like these sour ales.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - MAY 11, 2004
Iím rating this with ample leeway to the fact that I just canít learn to appreciate this style nor do I understand what a good Flemish Sour is. It should have a nice balance between sweet and sour flavors. I tasted both, but there is certainly no balance. Balsamic vinegar flavor dominates, brown sugar super-sweetness comes in second then there is a salty aftertaste. Try as I did to enjoy, to look somewhere for some inkling of pleasure, I found only shrieking taste buds and cringing lips. It tasted as though it were made with stagnet, metallic drinking fountain water. While I admire anyone that can enjoy this beverage, as far as Iím concerned the Duchesse wears no clothes (actually, she is kinda hot).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Silphium (3178) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAY 7, 2004
Mmmm...no. Every now and then I stumble across a beer that is unique but simply not good. This is one of those beers. I can confirm the balsamic vinegar aroma and flavor (even bordering on raspberry vinaigrette), but I also picked up a honey/soy aspect I didnít much care for either. Cloyingly sweet with a metallic aftertaste. Notes of sour apple peel and salt were also detected. About the only compliment I have for this beer is its deep red body. Otherwise, this is reminiscent of a cheap port. Though the beer isnít awful by any means, I still believe the Duchesse should be put to pasture, perhaps as fertilizer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - MAY 2, 2004
I have never enjoyed a beer more than my first Duchesse. I was amazed, and still am. It is not for everyone, one of those love/hate beers. Has a distinct aroma and taste of balsamic vinegar with a contrasted, but complimenting sweetness. I honestly took an hour to drink my first one. Amazing, complex, Duchesse...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
mkobes (2141) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - MAY 2, 2004
Very fruity. Enjoyable beer. Falvor is fruity. Tastes like sour fruit.Deep red in color. Nice head. Malty flavor. Too sweet.