overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2286   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JorisPPattyn (7772) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - JUL 21, 2003
Thé Belgian cultbeer in America. Let's see what I make of it. Deep amber-red, clear. Good amberish-creamy head, collapsing with lace. Nose: licorice, "jap", black syrup. That starts nice. Carbon gass. Fleeting impression of lactic acid. Quand même. Tart. Woody, vinous. Nowhere as complex as a RGC, however. Black "jap" aroma is gone, licorice remains. Very much lactic acid, also an obvious metallic tang. Dry out-effect, good carbonation, not fizzy. There is a strange flavour in the aftertaste that smacks of artifical flavouring. I relate it to the "gas" and "syrup" notes in the nose. I'm less than overawed. There is a woody touch, but for a beer boasting to have ripened on oak, I 'wood' expect something less metallic, infinitely more complex. Peter Bouckaert, can I have a la Folie now, please?

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 15, 2003
I must of had a wicked bad bottle, because all I got was vinegar. Certainly a drain pour. Good color though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - JUL 13, 2003
Plum and dough congeal in the nose, dark garnet with minimal head. THICK dark plums, raison bread, rum cake, and oak. Finishes with more woody notes and sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Rastacouere (6119) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 10, 2003
UPDATED: APR 4, 2004 Dark brown ale with a very small off-white head that disappears swiftly. A smell of fruits I can't quite all identify(dark berries, cherries, plums) with apparent vinegar and a vegetal note (dry parsley or something). As it enters the mouth, sour and sweet blackberries are well blended together with a honeyish malt sweetness and a bit of funk, notes of cloves, wood and clover. Refreshing despite being warm. It's mostly sweet still with high carbonation and a medium body, rather filling for the style. Oak comes back in the aftertaste that remains sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JUL 7, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2004 (Bottled) Dark brown with a small white head. Fresh aroma with some sourness. Gentle and smooth notes of candied fruit in the background. Silky-smooth in mouth with taste of dried cherrys, caramel. Waited for some sourness who didn't arrive. Instead, a vinous and sweet aftertaste of syrup, brown sugar and sweetened cherrys.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - JUN 25, 2003
well, i tried several minutes to pronounce the name of this beer, which wrenched my palatte around considerably, perhaps diminishing my total gustatory acuity (greater wrenching was yet to come). kind of a fizzy poodle-hair shag of beige bubbles: loud ones--sounded like a sparkler going off. a rosewood or cherrywood color, like a well worn pipe. and fairly fume-agacious with the aromas: like with champagne you can smell the carbon dioxide, then there's russian laquer boxes and goat cheese, and how a mule's tail can smell when he's having an uppity day. flavor is nice, a dense cider of sour cherries, plums and golden delicious apples, with a few drops of black chocolate resin. meanwhile the carbonation hacks away frenetically at the tongue-- would work wonders cleaning battery terminals. too tart for salads, perhaps decent to season saurkraut. lemony finish. i liked it. real cute. i was ready for a beer afterward tho.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Roli (405) - laval, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 17, 2003
I was wondering if I should rate it for the quality of the beer or for i mutch I liked it. I don't really enjoyed that beer, but I could taste the quality in it. Fruits, wine, and spice give it a sour and sweet taste, but a little too sour for me (maybe later..)Ain't my kind.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 13, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2004 Re-rate--- WOW.... I had this on tap at obrien's and damn....I am impressed. I still havn't had too many sour ales, although my cupboards are filled with many, but this beer is now one of my favorites. Pours a deep brown with a beautiful frothy, rich head with aromas of red berries, and even a little chocolate. Flavor is more of the same with a sourness that makes you want more. A slight tobacco ,smoke and the greatest mouthfeel...damn.... I am impressed. OLD RATING -This is my first flemish ale tasting so I have nothing to compare it too, but this was very flowery and sweet. Very tart. would be suuitable with a heavy dinner. 6/4/7/2/14-3.3

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JUN 13, 2003
It's been so long since I've had one of these Flemish ales. Delicious red wine qualities with snappy sourness and perfect effervescence. Tartness strangely hits me in the back of the throat, which is fun at the beginning, but gets rather irritating as I drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
EddieG (169) - Palos Heights, Illinois, USA - JUN 9, 2003
Enjoyable sour ale that was more balanced than the previous sours tried. Brown in color with hints of cherries and dry spice to complement the tartness. A nice lasting head that left lace throughout the glass after sipping for a long while. A nice beer.