overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2396   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - JUN 28, 2004
Excellent Flemish Sour Ale. Blend of lightly sour cherry taste. Truly fabulous finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3283) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - JUN 26, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2005 Keith-very tasty beer. brown/red color with a sweat fruit aroma. very smooth and complex taste that completes this pleasure to the senses.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JUN 23, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2004 Brewtopia’04. Aromas of vinegar; barny like a lambic. Reminds me of a spoiled reisling in its insistent sour grapiness. I don’t get any of the spice notes expected. Odd, sticky-tart mouthfeel. I’d like to try a whole serving some time.
Re-Rate, 09.17.04 I'm happy to see that my Brewtopia notes aren't too far off, but I think I like this beer alot more now than I did then. The beer is aromatic and unusual - big cherry, sour apple, vinous, toffee, tobacco. Flavor and palate are integral. This beer is intensely tart (yikes!) with big vinous, kabinett reisling and cherry flavors, and ending with hints of brett. Good, unusual, not at all quaffable, intriguing beer. I'm sticking with my original numbers, I think they're right on.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Radek Kliber (6519) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - JUN 21, 2004
Nice, pleasant sour aroma, sour sugar candy like. Dark ruby amber, big thick foamy head. Sweet sour set of flavours welcomes you, burnt caramel follows. Interesting Belgian ale mixed with sour notes. Nice too see sour Kriek like character .This is first time I had chance of having such hybrid.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - JUN 16, 2004
Very emjoyable. I’ve been sampling this nightly for that past week or so, trying to get a read. Sweet sticky head that attaches to the lip and continues to grow. Nice sour vinegary aroma. A little too sweet, but enough sour not to make it distracting. A great beer and good representative of style.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUN 16, 2004
This was a incredibly good beer. Nose is like fruity wine. Dark amber brown color. Very smooth and fruity taste, especially cherries. The underlying ale taste mixes well with the fruit for a very well balanced and delicious brew. I’m glad I got the 750 ml one, just 12 oz of this wouldnt have been enough.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
arjoseph (639) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 15, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 30, 2006 Re-rate: I had a bottle of this to finish off the night at Hop Duvel in Gent, and I was incredibly underwhelmed. The body was watery, the sour wasn’t sour, and the flavor was flat. I don’t know if I gained some perspective on it having had so many dope sour beers the past few days, but I felt like the beer could no longer have its lofty ranking in my list. So I bumped it down a few in the overall (from an 18 to a 16) and one in the flavor (from 10 to 9). I wasn’t willing to go further, as I really did have many good experiences with this beer before the last time.

Bottle into ale glass. BAM. DOPE. What other words in all caps can describe this beer? WOW. HELLA TIGHT. From the smell to the last drop (at which a tear fell from the corner of mine eye, a melancholy tear of lost bliss...), this was great. The aroma was complex; I was picking up all types of sumptuous things, like raisins, prunes, brown sugar, a little nutmeg. The beer poured with a light brown, fizzy head that wasn’t big to begin with and pretty much stuck around. It was clear amber glory in the glass. When the beer allows you to take your first sip, you pause and pray a prayer of thanks unto God for putting his monks in Belgium and guiding them on their righteous path. Lightly sweet, moderately acidic, flavors of cherry and sour apple fill your mouth and tantilize all available senses with the help of some soft carbonation. Reluctantly, you swallow, and your mouth is filled anew with the finish (at this point, cherubim swept upon me and I basked in a wash of holy light, wrapping me like a blanket neither cool nor warm). I can’t find anything wrong with this beer at all. Some might find it too sweet, but it takes a lot of sweetness to get me to that point. Halleluiah. Amen.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
OKBeer (1171) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - JUN 15, 2004
Medium brown/ruby colour with a frothy and fizzy, mostly diminishing tan coloured head. Dark bread, light oak, and light acetic/vinegar aroma. Modrately acidic (acetic) flavour, some dark bread, red wine, and light yeasty flavours, finishing with a lingering acetic sourness. Light bodied but dry and refreshing mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUN 12, 2004
Bottle. Outstanding! Tart, sweet, but well-balanced. Very complex flavor consisting of cherries, brandy, cognac, grape. Gentle mouthfeel like a calm stream in the woods. Slight effervescence.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
thehoff (596) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JUN 10, 2004
Reddish brown with a nice quarter inch cream head. Smells of cardboard, caramel, malted candy. Sour definitely. Vinegary. Definitely not like a beer. Different than anything that I have ever had. Sour yet strangely bitter.