overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2319   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Dogbrick (8023) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 6, 2003
Thanks to Darkover for the trade. I am still a little new to Flemish Sour Ales, Rodenbach Alexander being the only other one I have tried so far. From what I understand both are good examples of the style. That being the case I am fairly certain this is not a style I am a big fan of. Pours a dark amber/brown with a thick multi-colored head (beige with light brown splotches), with thin lacing. Aroma is alternatingly fruity and sour. The flavor actually reminded me of some Ohio Buckeye Brown that I tried not too long ago that had gone way past the "best by" date. Tart and vinegary flavor is tangy throughout. The finish is like an oaky Merlot. I was able to drink most of this in small doses, but I just can't appreciate the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
fraternie (815) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 4, 2003
Reddish-brown body, thin head. Some sourness in the aroma, notes of cherry, a bit medicinal. Tart cherry malt flavor, very carbonated. Medicinal, acidic finish, but there is some nice sourness and moderate complexity here.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
LeoR (57) - Arkel!, NETHERLANDS - MAY 1, 2003
Quite sour taste, it smells like white cheese, which isn't a recommendation.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - APR 28, 2003
Can I get some fish n' chips to go with my malt vinegar? Oh, no wait! This is only a nasty-ass Flemish Sour. And that it is. Awfully sweet, and horrifically sour. I thought I was drinking a lemon drop laced with lead that had been steeping in a barn for a month. This hurts!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - APR 26, 2003
It isn't that I don't like sour beers, but the vinegar is just too much. Huge acid and sour character makes this all but undrinkable in my book. I can taste that it is quality beer, but it doesn't taste good to me.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
ericnixon (740) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 20, 2003
Wow, i had no idea that the people who make Zours candy also made a beer. Sorry, but i'm not a huge fan of drinking fruity vinegar.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
PushEject (42) - Palmdale, California, USA - APR 16, 2003
Footy nose with hints of fruit. Reminiscent of a lambic. Tart and sour flavor. A lambic without the fruit, perhaps. Complex flavors that went way too sour for my taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - APR 9, 2003
Deep, reddish brown color with a thin, off-white head, the aroma is very fruity and sour with hints of vinegar. This is unlike anything I have had. The flavor is sweet and malty, with a bit of tartness and sour notes. It reminds me of some salad dressings, but not in a bad way. This beer is difficult to describe. Very complex and has some nice flavors, but the vinegar notes get to me a little.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 6, 2003
Boston Beer Summit 2003: Shiney, deep brown color, almost a little disturbing. :) Pungently sweet and fruity aroma. The flavor was awesomely sour and fruity and malty. I was really surprised. Finishes quickly, leaves the mouth going "Ooooh!" A friend compared it to sweet wine vinegar, and I could see where the comparisons could be made, but this it definately not something to be used on a salad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mwsf (360) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 4, 2003
Deep, deep mahogany color. Fruity aroma. Huge flavor. A bit of maltiness. Slightly sweet. Strong tartness on the back of my tongue. Wonderful blend of flavors. Slight oakiness. Possibly a touch of barnyard but it tastes like lactic/pedio dominates the funk. Excellent beer!