overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2332   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 14, 2003
Still trying to get my cheaks to stop puckering after this one. The flavor was like sour grapes with vinegar notes. The aroma was sour and vinegary with a slightly sweet fruity background. the burgundy body is topped by a medium thick off-white head with a good amount of lace. Full bodied, dry and slightly warming.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
WestsideThreat (13) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 10, 2003
Very cool beer. Very sour and very sweet. Different than most Belgian sours. The carbonation is TERRIBLE though, the overall impresion would have been higher if it was spot on. There is no head and very fizzing. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. Very fun beer regardless. I'm looking forward to it warming up, to see what subtleties are unearthed

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - MAY 10, 2003
Bottled. Crimson, deep mahogany with a light lacy head. Sour, sour and more sour. Twist of something else, not sure what. A new experience but not my style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Dogbrick (8119) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 6, 2003
Thanks to Darkover for the trade. I am still a little new to Flemish Sour Ales, Rodenbach Alexander being the only other one I have tried so far. From what I understand both are good examples of the style. That being the case I am fairly certain this is not a style I am a big fan of. Pours a dark amber/brown with a thick multi-colored head (beige with light brown splotches), with thin lacing. Aroma is alternatingly fruity and sour. The flavor actually reminded me of some Ohio Buckeye Brown that I tried not too long ago that had gone way past the "best by" date. Tart and vinegary flavor is tangy throughout. The finish is like an oaky Merlot. I was able to drink most of this in small doses, but I just can't appreciate the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
fraternie (819) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 4, 2003
Reddish-brown body, thin head. Some sourness in the aroma, notes of cherry, a bit medicinal. Tart cherry malt flavor, very carbonated. Medicinal, acidic finish, but there is some nice sourness and moderate complexity here.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
LeoR (57) - Arkel!, NETHERLANDS - MAY 1, 2003
Quite sour taste, it smells like white cheese, which isn't a recommendation.

1.1
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - APR 28, 2003
Can I get some fish n' chips to go with my malt vinegar? Oh, no wait! This is only a nasty-ass Flemish Sour. And that it is. Awfully sweet, and horrifically sour. I thought I was drinking a lemon drop laced with lead that had been steeping in a barn for a month. This hurts!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - APR 26, 2003
It isn't that I don't like sour beers, but the vinegar is just too much. Huge acid and sour character makes this all but undrinkable in my book. I can taste that it is quality beer, but it doesn't taste good to me.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
ericnixon (740) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 20, 2003
Wow, i had no idea that the people who make Zours candy also made a beer. Sorry, but i'm not a huge fan of drinking fruity vinegar.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
PushEject (42) - Palmdale, California, USA - APR 16, 2003
Footy nose with hints of fruit. Reminiscent of a lambic. Tart and sour flavor. A lambic without the fruit, perhaps. Complex flavors that went way too sour for my taste.