overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2471   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jde123 (766) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - FEB 20, 2004
This beer came streaking out of left field straight at my face. It was really quite good, mysterious dark aroma of a box of crushed cherries secreted away in an old attic. Very unique antique chestnut color, quite nice. Mouthfeel was a little watery, not the rich creaminess I was expecting. Decent flavor overshadowed by this beers other attributes. Overall a decent selection, highly recommended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ClarkVV (3929) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 20, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 15, 2005 11.12 oz bottle, 2003 I assume. Pours a nice dark red-burgundy, with some dark browns and almost a violet tinge. Unfortunately, quite clear. Small amount of light brown head and a big winey, musty smell. Wood and of course tart cherries. Though the cherries are very subtle in the aroma. Not so in the flavor. Cherries, cherries and more cherries. There is a nice sourness to it that begins to balance the sugary cherry flavor. Vinegar on the finish and a full body are some highlights. Has a lovely woody flavor as well. A bit too sweet for my liking, but as it warmed, the finish grew more sour. Very spritzy texture. Like liefmans goudenband mixed with a syrah and some kriek lambic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
BIGC (29) - USA - FEB 19, 2004
WOW, better than Roddenbach, the aroma will awaken your sense of smell. deep amber color with a decent head. Oaky, tangy, sweet and sour. Needs to breathe for full enjoyment. Try it with a tiny splash of grenadine if it's too sour. Overall this one could be the better flemmish red but Roddenbach has the name and longevity. A must try for beer connoisseurs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - FEB 19, 2004
Deep Mahogany with a long lasting beiege head. Tart cherry aroma with a pronounced vinegar note. Pleasant taste of tart sour cherries, with some malt and oak notes as well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - FEB 19, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2007 Strange stuff. My first experience with Flemish sour ale. And boy, is it sour. Very interesting, though, and I love the color. I do detect some dark malts in the vinegary aroma. MUCH better as it warms. I suspect the kids would go ga-ga over this one, being that is as least as sour as those super sour gummies. RE-RATE 2-4-07 Fantastic. Strong woody aromas with a cherry candy background. Flavors of lactic infection and candy. Unique beer that is thoroughly refreshing. One of my favorites.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
kujo9 (1093) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - FEB 19, 2004
Mohogany w/red highlights and lasting beige head. Sour/lactic aromas from the start, light toasted malt beyond that w/ some hints of diacetyl and an oak woodiness; also lightly musty. Very sour when chilled, turns well balanced to even a little sweet as it warms. Vinous fruit in the mid palate and into the finish which is lightly tart and semi dry; light dicetyl and hop flavor in the aftertaste. There is also a little earthy malt character. Moderately high carbonation, I thought it would be higher, medium bodied, and dry mouthfeel. I was not quite sure what to expect from this one since it is not my favorite style of beer, but I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it as much as I did. I can't handle more than one or two at a time, or very often, but this was a very good change of pace for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 14, 2004
A little too sweet for what I'm used to with a good Flemish Sour. However, the aroma is nice and tart and of cherries. I need to be making an ugly face in order to prove that an ale is sour enough, and this just doesn't do it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
y0cola (361) - fremont, California, USA - FEB 14, 2004
Sour cherry, whiskey, and fresh grape wine aroma. Translucent dark brown color. Highly carbonated which stings your tongue and leaves a tart bitter finish which follows the very winey, vinegar, and malty flavor. Flavor also hints at tomatoes and a very woody whiskey. Lacks slightly in the assertiveness of the flavor.

Cobra (1100) - - FEB 8, 2004
Wow! Am I surprised. I didn't think I'd like this beer, but I am indeed surprised. 11.2 oz. brown, slender long necked bottle. The best before date is 10/06/04. Poured out a deep cherry red color, almost mahogany color. Slight cream colored head to it that hung around for the trip. Served in my Rodenbach glass. Appropriate glassware I believe. Aromas of gueuze, lactic wheat malt, oak barrels, slight vinegar aroma dissipated soon after pouring. Highly carbonated, tingly on the tongue. Tart, tangy, and delicious. A great beer for something I just happened upon. I'd definitely have this again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - FEB 7, 2004
Aroma is cherries, plum, caramel, and vinegar. Pours a clear red-brown color, off-white head leaves good lacing. Flavor is on the sweet side, malt being prominent, there is some Belgian yeast spiciness, and a nice acetic sourness comes through in the end. Medium body. A refreshing and tasty sweet-n-sour Belgian beer.