Brewed by Verhaeghe
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2578   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Edmoe (241) - Orlando, Florida, USA - NOV 8, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 9, 2007 Pours dark brown with red accents. One finger of thick tan head. Aroma is intense sour with Worcestershire. Very satisfying full mouthfeel . Very sour...cherries...hint of soy. Sour/bitterness lingers for a bit, then finishes clean. Incredible! The first time I had this I couldn’t stand it. Now I can’t get enough! Thanks to Boboski for turning me on to this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
AtlAggie (241) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 27, 2009
On draft at Twains in Decatur. Reddish brown in color, nice frothy tannish head. Aroma pleasantly of sour dark cherries, hints of vinegar and slight wood. Flavor moderately sour, not overly assertive--underlying dark fruit and sugar sweetness that you don’t always find in a sour. Mild tartness, vinegar. Finishes slightly sweet, not really with the dryness I would prefer. Still, nice sour--probably the most accessible I’ve had.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
karsten (240) - odense, DENMARK - MAY 31, 2002
A beautiful redbrown appearance. Sour, sweet and very refreshing. This is after drinking rochefort 8 + 10.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
UnsofistaCat (240) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - JUN 27, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2005 Wow. I just tried a new kind of beer, a so called Flemish Sour Ale, and think its absolutely disgusting. I hated this so much that I’m not sure I’ll even risk more hard-earned cash on a higher rated brand of this sour puss. Smelled of cooking wine with a dark brownish color with tints of red. Tasted of moldy wine and apple vinegar. Couldn’t even finish it. On a positive note, I am imagining this ale being a great ingredient in an improvised North Carolina bbq sauce. Ironically, like another recent review, my mom actually liked it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hoptagon (239) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - FEB 25, 2009
750ml. Bottle. Deep burgundy color with a soft tan ring of foam. Musky aroma with tart fruits and aged wood. Shows characteristics of balsamic, but with more sugar and less vinegar. Flavor is similar with pronounced acidic cherry and sweet malt characteristics. Mouthfeel is somewhat fizzy and medium bodied. Definitely a bit sour on the tongue with notes of the oak barrel throughout. Finish is dry and lingering.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
abstractbeer (239) - NORWAY - DEC 27, 2011
330 ml bottle. Poured into a tulip shaped glass. Brown color, extremely clear, thick off-white head. Tiny bubbles are racing up the edges of the glass, settling into a beehive-like pattern. Sour aroma of green apples, red berries and oak, some vinegar-y notes. The sourness (in the aroma) seems to be quite massive, but I’m still a newb when it comes to sour ales, so I might be wrong. Time to take a sip! Full body, lively but pleasant carbonation. Definitely not massively sour. Actually, the finish is surprisingly sweet! Flavor is oak/wood, artificial cherry candy flavored medicine (!) (I can’t describe it any other way... ), and some green apples, a hint of raisins. There’s a also a strangely metallic flavor here, not sure where that comes from. Overall: Complex, sweet, but with a (not overwhelming) sourness to back it up. Nice!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
AAEA (239) - California, USA - DEC 23, 2014
11.2 FL OZ ($5.49) this was not my cup of tea however my girlfriend liked this, she said is was nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JLLSU (238) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - NOV 28, 2012
12oz---> tulip. Pours a bright ruby/brown with a fizzy head that disappears quickly. Aroma is acetone and sweet cherry. Tastes of light vinegar and sweet red dessert wine. Nicely carbonated, medium mouthfeel. A bit sweeter than I like my sours, but solid none the less.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
simardsam (238) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 28, 2013
Bière brune aux reflets rougeâtres avec un petit collet beige. Arômes légèrement vinaigrées, de tomates vertes. Elle est à la fois sucrée et acidulée, il est possible de goûter des pommes vertes, des raisins, des prûnes et de petits fruits mûres. Plus elle se rapproche de la température pièce, plus des notes de cerises ressortent et elle perd un peu de son acidité.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Luk_ (238) - Quebec, CANADA - APR 29, 2014
UPDATED: MAY 6, 2014 It took me so much time to truly appreciate this beer, so I understand the haters here. Appearance is magnificient. Brown pour with red highlights and a lasting thick creamy offwhite head. One of the most beautiful lacing there is. Once it’s over, my glass is completely coated with lacing. Aroma: This is certainly not unanimous as there is a lot of balsamic vinegar which can be offputting but I like it. There is a decent amount of musty wood, red wine, some burnt brown sugar. I also get some subtle notes of nuts and chocolate. Taste: Probably the perfect balance between tart and sweet. To be more specific, some cherries and plums, lots of wood, maple syrup. Mouthfeel: Light yet holds everything together. It is certainly not sticky considering the sweetness, nor as dry as a sour which gives this beer the opportunity to express its sweet and sour profile. Low carbonation but not much is needed here. Overall: A very unique, harmonious and elegant beer that has no evident flaws. My favourite go to beer with Orval.