overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2539   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
mixinnixon2000 (227) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 24, 2009
Bottle. pours dark red color with small off-white head. great sour/tart flavors from various fruits. what you expect from a sour ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
bradlyc77 (226) - Sebastopol, California, USA - MAR 22, 2009
On tap. Deep ruby brown, aroma is acidic and malty. Tart taste with some cherries, brown sugar, some raisin, and woodiness. Not a huge fan.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
eraserhd10 (226) - new haven, Connecticut, USA - APR 18, 2004
My first ever experience with the style known as a Flemish Sour Ale and I'm incredibly impressed. A dark, rich burgundy color. A very layered, complex taste. Definitely can taste the "sourness" but also black cherries, dried apricots and a strong, STRONG presence of Balsamic Vinegar. Must be drunk slowly and carefully to be fully appreciated!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jerd16 (226) - Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - MAR 27, 2014
Dark ruby pour with 1 finger off-white head. Dark fruit, belgian yeast, some oak on nose. Qualities combine to create a bouquet reminiscent of a red wine. Very light beer despite decent carbonation. Very sweet at first, before sour cherry sweets overwhelm. Not grindingly sour as some can be. It achieves a leaning balance. Dark fruits. Fairly dry on finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Phatz (225) - Paradise, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2006
Wow! This beer was definitely the beer of the night! So much thanks to BA, ’YBSober’ for this beer was phenomenal! This was my first Flanders Red Ale and I am going to make it a point to seek out much more of this! I thought I was in heaven. I know I am in love with the Duchesse (don’t tell me wife;-). Appearance: This Duchesse poured out a beautiful dark caramel color with some golden tan highlights on her elegant body, and then fantastic head made of tight off-white foam. This leads into the sticky circles of off-white lacing, left lining the glass. Smell: The aroma is quite vinous, with a wine grapes aroma, a nice tartness, (those not in the know might think her a port wine) and yet an underlying caramel sweetness. It is spiced and complex; very much like the Holiday Spiced Wine from Mount Hope Winery (with what might be cinnamon and a splash of lemon in the aroma as well). Taste: The taste, like the smell was very complex and pleasing! The front of the palate is mildly tart dry grapes and then there is a nice layer of brown sugar and caramel that sweetens up the palate. Layer upon layer I realized more and more tremendous depth as the fruits began to reveal themselves; first apples and plums, cherries, a prune and then mixed berries. All the while, I couldn’t help but to think, this beer must be oak aged because the magnificent flavor of oak, and a subtle hint of leather, kept swatting at my taste buds. This beer has an incredible depth of character and flavor. Her finish is sour (not too much) just the prefect degree (tipping the scales to tart). That tartness carries into the aftertaste as well, balanced with the loving touch of gentle sweet fruits, leaving you with wonderful memories of how she treated your tongue. I could hardly keep my tongue in my mouth. I had to dive in for more. She’s irresistible! Mouthfeel: Tight little bubbles of carbonation treat your mouth just right. 36-24-36 this sweet lady has a perfect medium body with just enough dryness to force you to pucker up, and enough lingering sweetness that you enjoy it. Drinkability: I want her all to myself all the time. $65 a case and I would pay it too. Are all Flanders like this? I may be in trouble. Now that I have gone Flanders I may never go back! Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
doubleipa (224) - Georgia, USA - JUN 29, 2007
I’m not very familar with this style since I’ve ever had one of these on draft. However, I certainly will try as many of this style after having this one. This was really a spectacular beer. I can’t say I would’ve appreciated this several years ago. Very sour aroma - duh! A little bit of vinegar, cherry, raspberry, and oak. Kind of hard to describe as the sour is so predominant. Taste is really huge. Incredible levels of tartness. Nice frothy head and a light ruby color. Great mouthfeel - very lively. I can’t wait to pop open one of these at the next neighborhood party and offer this to someone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
grandridge (224) - Port Clinton, Ohio, USA - JAN 31, 2009
Best Before 03-10-09 Pours a reddish brown with a head that dissipates fast. Aroma is sour, lactic, vinigar dominates, with some wood. Flavor is sweet up front, some then vinigar, with a wood finish and some lingering lactic notes. This one kind of grows on me. At first I thought it wood be drain pour (and I love sours) because of the too much vinigar and sweetness, but the flavors start to blend into something that is more enjoyable as you drink this brew. Mouthfeel lacks significant carbonation but has a decently rich body that compensates.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mikalooch (224) - , New Jersey, USA - FEB 5, 2009
Bottle. Pours deep red with a foamy white head. Aroma, is yeast, sourdough bread, and cherries. Flavor is very tart, chanmpagne, cherry and honey. Thin sticky mouthfeel, very carbonated, tingly. Good beer, very interesting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
kindacold (224) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - JUL 14, 2013
Always a solid beer. Can’t believe I’ve never reviewed this. Pours a deep reddish with minimal lacy head. Smells of sweet vinegar. Tastes sweet and sour, with grapes, cinnamon, cloves, and various other spices mingling with sour notes. Perfectly effervescent. Finished very clean with a sweet linger.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
dylan88 (223) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 8, 2011
33 cl bottle. Pours reddish brown with a big head. In aroma there are hints of cherries, raspberry, yeast, roasted malt. Flavor mostly fruit and sugar, with a sour finish. Thin body with medium carbonation,