overall

RATINGS: 2312   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

1.1
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
rsans (125) - Pont-Rouge, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 5, 2005
Bottle. I had high expectations but was rather disappointed. Nice color with a good head with some lacing. Good carbonation. Aroma of sour cherry and balsamic vinegar. Strange mouthfeel. Sort of sweet wine like taste. It reminded me of a home made brew of choke cherries wine that my parents use to make a long time ago. Although I respect this beer it is definitely not my type of beer. Could not finish my glass. I guess there is no in-between for this beer. You either like or dislike this style.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rebelbrewer (125) - Lithonia, Georgia, USA - MAR 6, 2006
A 750ml corked and caged bottle. There’s a portrait of a lady on the front, must be the Duchesse. It says Flemish Art of Brewing above the portrait. I pour it into a snifter. Temp was 55 F. It was reddish brown as per its style. It is clear which means there must be no yeast in the bottle. I’ll look and see when the bottle is empty. (No yeast!) There is plenty of carbonation and the beer formed about a finger’s worth of a light tan head. Retention was decent and the head settled down to a rim around the glass with a light coating floating on top of the beer. The smell is SOUR! Then when you bring it back to your nose it is more like sweet tarts. There may well be hops in this brew, but you’ll never know it. Now on to the taste: with the aroma this brew has, of course the sour hits first. But, in a surprise, about mid swallow it gets sweet only to turn around again and finish off sour. There are all sorts of fruit flavors here, nice and complex. The carbonation keeps this light on the palate. I had to really concentrate to get the mouth feel as there is so much going on in the mouth with this beer. It feels bubbly like champagne. You must like Sours to drink this. I love shock tarts and I’m falling in love with this style of beer. This beer just makes you want to have another one. I left bottle out as I drank it and that didn’t change things much. As it got warmer it was not as refreshing and maybe a little sweeter, but not by much!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
grapengrain (125) - Havelock North, NEW ZEALAND - AUG 25, 2011
Slightly sweet with red currant and earthy bramble fruit notes as well as some slight oaky notes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
v8powered (124) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - SEP 30, 2008
Very interesting flavor. Aroma a lot like balsamic vingar and a slight sour fruuit smell. The beer is sour at first but finishes with a great aftertaste. Souress disipates more the warmer the beer gets. Dark brown color, very little head. With my first bottle, I wasn’t to sure. Second bottle I began to appreciate and enjoy this beer. Will never be my favorite but certainly a different beer I can appreciate for what it is. A beer worth appreciating!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
EastCoaster (122) - USA - AUG 3, 2009
strong Vinegar aroma not nearly as strong in the taste, a good balance between the residual sweetness of the malts combining with a bit of sour. Would love to have another.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
TylerPow (122) - Washington, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 31, 2012
Smells of vinegar and soy sauce. Nice medium red color. Tastes of dried fruit, tart, sweet and tangy, makes your taste buds come alive. This one has some zing to it

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mrhopsbeertalk (122) - Massachusetts, USA - JUN 23, 2014
I’m just getting into Flemish Ales, but after trying several I find myself confused by this beers high ratings. Far less tart than Monk’s and considrably less cherry than Petrus, this beer is middle of the road, very average, doesn’t stand out...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
GoldenSpunky (120) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 29, 2005
Guest Draft at the Old Toad. Alittle hesitant to try this sour ale but the risk payed off. The aroma was of sour apples and cherries. I was prepared for a very sour taste but when i took my first sip I was pleasantly surprised. The sour beginning was overtaken by the sweet finish. The flavors were all over the board but all good. The high carbonation of this sour ale brings out the flavors in every sip of this exquist style of ales.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
veronneaupy (120) - Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, CANADA - APR 25, 2014
On sent le baril de chêne et l'acidité perçante. J'adore cette bière. Bien joue qu'on en trouve facilement a la SAQ! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

crazy_cat_lady (120) - - MAY 18, 2014
May 10, 2014. 750mL bottle from citybeer in SF. My favourite sour beer. Lovely dark brown with off-white head. Aromas of malt and balsamic vinegar and sour grapes. Lovely smooth mouthfeel, sweet malty flavour. Just as good as I remember!