overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2524   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MereLikesBeer (195) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - MAY 27, 2009
This beer was mighty tasty! That’s almost all I have to say about it. I tried a bit of it at a bar that was dimly lit, so my guess for appearance is sort of swayed. Taste and aroma, however, were amazing. I almost didn’t know what to think of it. It had a VERY strong smell, fruity, and at first I couldn’t pinpoint it, but it was certainly vinegar. Amazing! Taste was just out of control. It was like candy yet sour too... man, out of this world. I just cant wait to have some more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bigabe (194) - California, USA - JAN 30, 2011
Not my favorite of the sour ales. Nose is a little too funky, even for this style... almost moldy. I tried a few bottles of varying sizes that all I had this problem. The usual sour, tart notes are there. But there is an underlying almost creaminess that dulls out all of the tart, floral flavors and really just ruins the beer for me.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Syfher (194) - Brussels, BELGIUM - OCT 4, 2014
One of my favourite beers. Because of his maturation in oak casks, we got here a beer with great and complex aroma, with a little bit resin taste. For the appearance, we face à reddish-brown beer (as said in the description) but more than that, it’s like a very "brune kriek". I can’t really describe the palate and taste beacause of all the particularities of its. You must try one of our best "Vieille Brune des Flandres".

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
o_Merlin_o (193) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 2, 2014
On tap at Slaters 50/50. Pours a chestnut brown with off-white head. Excellent lacing. Strangest aroma I've ever had in a beer - vinegar. I love vinegar! Excellent palate. Awesome blend of sweetness, sour, and vinegar. This is a strange beer, but I love it! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
collieman (191) - montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 1, 2006
Mtl beer fest. Ok, so I could see how people would love this, but not me. Flavour was dominantly sour, way to sour for me. Cource, I dont like sour beer. Might be great for you, not so great for me. Cheers

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tripelthreat (190) - Soquel, California, USA - MAY 6, 2009
330ml bottle. Another try after a nauseatingly sweet attempt many years ago. Small head on a reddish brown body. Nose is of raspberries and cherry, wood, and apple cider vinegar. Flavor is much of the same with sweetness and oak coming through very strong. Finish is short and fairly clean. While I’d like more acid, it’s a tasty and easy to drink sour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Die_Kapusta (190) - Malmö, SWEDEN - AUG 29, 2010
Pours very intense cherry red. Tiny head. Aroma is very exciting, with notes of balsamico, red apples, lingonberries and a bit of sour dough. Taste is acidic, with a somewhat balanced sweetness. I taste blackberries, raspberries, blood grapefruit and cherries. I haven´t had a lot of sour ales so I´m far from an expert, but I really liked this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chaz01 (190) - Miamisburg, Ohio, USA - NOV 8, 2010
750 ml with a bottle with an expiration date of 6/2012 on the cork, poured into a Belgian tulip glass. Clear, dark brown mahogany color with brilliant ruby highlights held up to the light. Thick tan head leaves some lacing. Slight vinegar, sour smell, but very mellow. Just a mild vinegar tartness, slightly offset by a sweet brown sugar taste with some grape, cherries and even some wine qualities. Medium bodied, soft mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. Very smooth and delicious, one of the most enjoyable sour type beers I’ve had to date. I’m thinking this would pair nicely with a large ceasar salad. But smooth enough that it makes a nice session beer -- enjoyed drinking the entire bomber while watching football.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
bastarda (190) - Freiburg, GERMANY - DEC 23, 2014
shared by bartlebier 10/14, revisited with Konfuzzi, as a long tasting’s precautionary antidote to everything consumed so far - or so it seems, with that soothing aromas of warm, oaky acidity with some honey edges and that benevolent mild, deep, warm tartness throughout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Lanchester (189) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 9, 2011
Pours a cherry amber hue with a prominent and pillowy off-white head, thinning out to leave nice lacing around the glass. Aroma is an enticing blend of caramelized malts and dark fruits, with slightly woody and boozy undertones. Flavor is a very up front sourness that definitely surprised me at first, though it quickly subsides and gives way to a nice cherry/raspberry character. Finishes dry and leaves a lingering fruity and slightly grainy flavor on the tongue. Very lively on the palate, the strong yet smooth carbonation really help to tie the flavors together and balance out the initial sourness. Highly drinkable, and complex beer, the alcohol content is very well masked.