overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2746   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
mixinnixon2000 (226) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 24, 2009
Bottle. pours dark red color with small off-white head. great sour/tart flavors from various fruits. what you expect from a sour ale.
Earlier Rating: 5/1/2008 Total Score: 3
bottle. pours dark brown with thick brown head. very interesting taste. my first sour ale. I didnít know it was retired.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ska (226) - ITALY - NOV 30, 2009
33cl bottle, dark amber/brown color, small tan head, the apple and wood aroma with fruity notes (raisins, cherries) and the sweet/sour flavor makes it similar to ours aceto balsamico (balsamic vinegar), medium body, dry finish with "roasted" apple aftertaste. Itís the first sour ale that I taste so I donít know this style, in Italy we say "I rate it by nose" (means "by istinct")

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
RD400F (226) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - SEP 12, 2011
Aroma: Quite vinous, grapes and citrusy, sour, fruity....hints of fruitcake, figs, vinegar, and baked goods. Very aromatic...interesting malt character and if I didnít know, I wouldíve assumed this was a wine! Fantastic! Appearance: Clear red color, smallish off white head. Taste: Imagine combining a wine, a lambic and a beer. How the hell did they do this with the ABV? Itís amazingly complex. Itís sour, it has an amazing fruity sweetness to balance it all off, and the finish is fruitcake and delicious chocolate. Holy shit! Palate: Fizzy, quirky, complex and perfectly balanced. Overall: I stopped by Brewery Creek and had a nice chat with an employee about beer. This was recommended to me and I have to say this is one of the best recommendations ever. This beer is nothing short of amazing and I wish I bought another.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Phatz (225) - Paradise, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2006
Wow! This beer was definitely the beer of the night! So much thanks to BA, íYBSoberí for this beer was phenomenal! This was my first Flanders Red Ale and I am going to make it a point to seek out much more of this! I thought I was in heaven. I know I am in love with the Duchesse (donít tell me wife;-). Appearance: This Duchesse poured out a beautiful dark caramel color with some golden tan highlights on her elegant body, and then fantastic head made of tight off-white foam. This leads into the sticky circles of off-white lacing, left lining the glass. Smell: The aroma is quite vinous, with a wine grapes aroma, a nice tartness, (those not in the know might think her a port wine) and yet an underlying caramel sweetness. It is spiced and complex; very much like the Holiday Spiced Wine from Mount Hope Winery (with what might be cinnamon and a splash of lemon in the aroma as well). Taste: The taste, like the smell was very complex and pleasing! The front of the palate is mildly tart dry grapes and then there is a nice layer of brown sugar and caramel that sweetens up the palate. Layer upon layer I realized more and more tremendous depth as the fruits began to reveal themselves; first apples and plums, cherries, a prune and then mixed berries. All the while, I couldnít help but to think, this beer must be oak aged because the magnificent flavor of oak, and a subtle hint of leather, kept swatting at my taste buds. This beer has an incredible depth of character and flavor. Her finish is sour (not too much) just the prefect degree (tipping the scales to tart). That tartness carries into the aftertaste as well, balanced with the loving touch of gentle sweet fruits, leaving you with wonderful memories of how she treated your tongue. I could hardly keep my tongue in my mouth. I had to dive in for more. Sheís irresistible! Mouthfeel: Tight little bubbles of carbonation treat your mouth just right. 36-24-36 this sweet lady has a perfect medium body with just enough dryness to force you to pucker up, and enough lingering sweetness that you enjoy it. Drinkability: I want her all to myself all the time. $65 a case and I would pay it too. Are all Flanders like this? I may be in trouble. Now that I have gone Flanders I may never go back! Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
doubleipa (224) - Georgia, USA - JUN 29, 2007
Iím not very familar with this style since Iíve ever had one of these on draft. However, I certainly will try as many of this style after having this one. This was really a spectacular beer. I canít say I wouldíve appreciated this several years ago. Very sour aroma - duh! A little bit of vinegar, cherry, raspberry, and oak. Kind of hard to describe as the sour is so predominant. Taste is really huge. Incredible levels of tartness. Nice frothy head and a light ruby color. Great mouthfeel - very lively. I canít wait to pop open one of these at the next neighborhood party and offer this to someone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
grandridge (224) - Port Clinton, Ohio, USA - JAN 31, 2009
Best Before 03-10-09 Pours a reddish brown with a head that dissipates fast. Aroma is sour, lactic, vinigar dominates, with some wood. Flavor is sweet up front, some then vinigar, with a wood finish and some lingering lactic notes. This one kind of grows on me. At first I thought it wood be drain pour (and I love sours) because of the too much vinigar and sweetness, but the flavors start to blend into something that is more enjoyable as you drink this brew. Mouthfeel lacks significant carbonation but has a decently rich body that compensates.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mikalooch (224) - , New Jersey, USA - FEB 5, 2009
Bottle. Pours deep red with a foamy white head. Aroma, is yeast, sourdough bread, and cherries. Flavor is very tart, chanmpagne, cherry and honey. Thin sticky mouthfeel, very carbonated, tingly. Good beer, very interesting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SimonBlok (223) - GRONINGEN, NETHERLANDS - JUL 22, 2016
25 cl bottle at home. Appearance: red brown with medium off-white head. Aroma: red wine, old hops, grapes, fruity esters, butterscotch and ethyl acetate. Taste: high sweetness with low bitterness. Sourness that slowly degrades toward the finish. Notes of sour cherries, grapes and brown sugar. Palate: medium bodied, slick texture and lively carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
dylan88 (223) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 8, 2011
33 cl bottle. Pours reddish brown with a big head. In aroma there are hints of cherries, raspberry, yeast, roasted malt. Flavor mostly fruit and sugar, with a sour finish. Thin body with medium carbonation,

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
weepingsuds (222) - Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA - JUN 17, 2005
Not sure about the other rave reviews. If you want something very different borderline chemical give this a try. Pours deep brown red. My wife agreed this stuff smells like acetone. I tried to finish the glass, but it felt like it was unhealthy to consume. This beer was part of 50 beers I just brought back from Belgium and this thing was the loser of the bunch.