overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2523   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
daknole (10201) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 15, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 5, 2009 I was a wee infant when I rated this beer the first time. Now that I am a graduating to the world of sours I find that I do enjoy the Duchess very much. Reminds me so much of sweet tarts. Fruity, tart, sweet, woody. Good stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Maria (10192) - Thisted, DENMARK - JAN 9, 2007
Nice, red-brown color and a huge, golden head. The aroma is sour with notes of berries. The flavour is sour, at fist rather like vinegar, but then more mellow sweet/sour, mostly sweet. It has a lot of berry notes, rowan berries, black currant and a little prune. It’s an exciting beer, and I quite like this type, not every day, but once a while...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hopscotch (10075) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 4, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2007 Aroma is of balsamic vinegar and Cabernet. Also, notes of pear and dark fruit. Crystal clear, deep mohogany hue. Small, creamy, off-white head. Quickly diminishing with decent lacing. Extremely fruity and moderately tart flavor. Blasts of cherries, Cabernet, plums, red-delicious apples and other tangy fruits I’m unable to identify. A little white vinegar thrown in for good measure. Medium-bodied with a silky mouthfeel. Lively carbonation. A medium length, very acetic, lightly earthy finish. Being a fan of Sour Patch Kids, I really enjoyed this beer. Be prepared to pucker!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
adnielsen (10037) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 11, 2011
Bottle @ home. Another classic from Belgium that I am glad to taste again for the first time in a few years. Deep red appearance with a fluffy, tan head. Moderately tart, cherry, plum, red fruits, sweet tart aroma. Really a nice raspberry/cherry/blackberry/plum fruitiness, tart, dark malty, somewhat woody flavor. Well carbonated with a mildly tart finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Benzai (9897) - Oirschot, THE NETHERLANDS, NETHERLANDS - JUN 25, 2011
Only thing good about this beer is the great dark brown color with the deep red glare. Smell sour and a little chemical, taste is just not good. Low to medium carbo.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopdog (9713) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 25, 2004
Poured a dark reddish brown with no head. Poured with a very thick, almost syrupy, body. Very strong vinegar aroma and tastes (my wife said it smelled like balsamic vinegar). Slightly sweet with a sour finish. Some cherries mixed in there. Thick, oily body. This beer was different than any I’ve rated yet (but not a bad different - I enjoyed it).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sammy (9437) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 21, 2004
Edgy Belgium. Good lace. Foamy pour, fluffy. Sweet aftertaste. Oak lends a brown to the amber. Some cherry tartness here, maybe sour lemon and unripe fruit, and oud bruin style. And as Monty Python would add, woody.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Meilby (9434) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - NOV 20, 2011
Bottle 330ml @ Patricks Pub og Restaurant, Kristiansand
Pours brown/deep amber with a off-white head. Aroma has notes of malt, sour apples, fruits, balsamic and brown sugar. Taste is medium sweet and medium sour with a long sweet, fruity, light sour and dry finish. Body is medium, texture is thin to oily, carbonation is soft.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Dogbrick (9320) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 6, 2003
Thanks to Darkover for the trade. I am still a little new to Flemish Sour Ales, Rodenbach Alexander being the only other one I have tried so far. From what I understand both are good examples of the style. That being the case I am fairly certain this is not a style I am a big fan of. Pours a dark amber/brown with a thick multi-colored head (beige with light brown splotches), with thin lacing. Aroma is alternatingly fruity and sour. The flavor actually reminded me of some Ohio Buckeye Brown that I tried not too long ago that had gone way past the "best by" date. Tart and vinegary flavor is tangy throughout. The finish is like an oaky Merlot. I was able to drink most of this in small doses, but I just can't appreciate the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GT2 (9272) - San Diego County, California, USA - JAN 28, 2009
330 mL. Pours a clear deep ruby almost brown with a thin tan head that settles down and leaving good lacework. Aromas of apple cider vinegar, sour cherries, and barnyard funk. Taste is at first tangy and fruity like a lambic but then turns more into vinegar with dark fruits (plums, black cherries), brown sugar, and some saltwater taffy. Aftertaste is long with malt vinegar. This is my first sour ale. I guess the vinegar taste will have to grow on me.