overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2395   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

jerohen (2032) - Bussum, NETHERLANDS - NOV 29, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2014 This beer really grew on me. This first time i thought it was nothing special, but everytime i went to the shop i took one bottle home with me. I had this beer many times now, and for me this is really as good as it gets. Dark-amber coloured. A bit of vinegar aroma, which is also present in flavor. Sweet and thick, a bit fruity and also some ?oak taste?. Sour finish. Absolutely fantastic.

Pringles68 (28) - Audubon, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 26, 2005
this is my favorite beer... tastes more like fine wine than beer, fruity, tart yet sweet and flavorful. warning - must be chilled properly to avoid nasty nasal "smelling salts" aftertaste but if properly chilled the aftertaste doesn’t show up and it’s just wonderful.

cweekly (1) - USA - MAY 31, 2008 does not count
My all-time favorite! Sweet without being cloying, more complex than many single-malt scotches I enjoy, just... wow. The most interesting, complex, enjoyable, unique beer I’ve tasted in 15 years of drinking and brewing. A must try.

jdunlow49 (2) - , Virginia, USA - SEP 19, 2008 does not count
A favorite since my first tasting... almost champagne-like effervescence and fizz that forces you to sip instead of gulp. best as the first beer of the night b/c it seems almost too sour after anything else. fruity and vinegar-y, it’s one of the most unique beers I’ve had and would def put it on my top 5

coldmeat23 (232) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - NOV 17, 2009
Deep, dark, ruby red liquid. Much like the blood of the Duchesse. One finger head of creamy tan foam. Truly excellent retention and great lacing. Smells amazing! Deep tart fruit smells. Lots of green apple and black cherries. Not quite ripened peaches. Scent of almonds/marzipan. Hints of underlying gingerbread spiciness. Slight touch of vanilla. This is such a phenomenal tasting sour (flemish red). Big cherry taste, sour and sweet, at the same time. Huge notes of green apple. Nice big presence of black currants. Nice woody/earthiness, here, also. Hints of oak and vanilla. Extremely smooth and creamy in body, like a mouthfeel of rolling fine silk. Carbonation is perfect, with tiny, tiny bubbles. This beer is so perfect. If it were Napoleon’s Army invading my mouth, my taste buds would have no choice but to surrender. I could drink this for weeks at a time and be perfectly satisfied, with no other options. Excellent!

Beerenberger (1538) - Fischer, Texas, USA - MAR 2, 2012
Initial sweet taste followed quickly by a very pleasing sour finish. Bery drinkable. WONDERFUL ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

MitchOFY (3) - - MAR 2, 2012 does not count
One of my dear favorites. Pours a dark amber, great head and great lacing. Aroma is pure aged balsamic vinegar. The frontal attack on the palate crushes your salivary glands, making you pine for another sip. I call this the ’beer for wine drinkers’, and I have yet to be wrong!

Jokine (51) - Manitoba, CANADA - FEB 8, 2013
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2013 Colour is a ruby red. Hits you with a sour cherry like flavour that lingers. Excellent beer. One of my favourites.

Crash_the_dog (162) - Fairway, Kansas, USA - APR 10, 2013
As perfect a sour beer as I've ever encountered, the rich ruby color pairs with a gorgeous creamy head, offering a medley of sour fruit flavored to the palette - apples, pears and cherries all make appearances. The taste is crisp, and the aftertaste is a perfect mirror of the initial flavors. This beer was my introduction to Belgian sours, and I've been chasing this dragon ever since. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

gschrade (778) - Collinsville, USA - NOV 5, 2013
I had this at Global Brew. My first sour! Pours reddish brown with tan head. Taste sour, fruity, sweet. I love this. I would definitely drink this again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone