overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2391   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
karsten (240) - odense, DENMARK - MAY 31, 2002
A beautiful redbrown appearance. Sour, sweet and very refreshing. This is after drinking rochefort 8 + 10.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Oakes (12789) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 9, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 14, 2005 Well-named, as its burgundy colour would indicate. Mix of woody lactic notes, tomato, pomegranate, apple skins and acetic notes. Sweet maltiness in the palate, alongside icing sugar, caramel apples, and a light acetic note which spoils an otherwise clean lactic undertone. Sweet & sour, quite drinkable, but I do find the acetic notes to be rather off-putting. You have to love acetic acid (vinegar) to love this beer. If you don’t, it’ll go down the drain.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 19, 2003
This is my first flemish sour ale. Very flavorful, full of fruits and spices. A very nice combination of flavors, tart, but not to the level of a lambic. A nice cedar color.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
CapFlu (4616) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 19, 2003
(Bottle) Pours a large, frothy head and a rust coloured body. Strong acidic aroma that borders on vinegar with a slight sour grapes scent of white wine. Flavour: sour, cherry, grape then pastey dry. Ouch! Like sucking on a palmful of Sour Patch Kids when you have a cold sore. Hits a high note of sweetness in mid-sip then translates into a mouth-drying paste. Great stuff... wonderful style. This sour duchess can visit anytime!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Roli (405) - laval, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 17, 2003
I was wondering if I should rate it for the quality of the beer or for i mutch I liked it. I don't really enjoyed that beer, but I could taste the quality in it. Fruits, wine, and spice give it a sour and sweet taste, but a little too sour for me (maybe later..)Ain't my kind.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kane (111) - USA - JAN 13, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2005 This rating is based on a tapped version. Served in its proper glass it was a dark brown with a 1.5 inch off-white head. Aroma was a mild sour fruit. Here is where the similarity between the bottle version and the tap version differ. The bottle version I have tried is sour and effervescent, the tap version is sweet and flat. I prefer the bottle version, which is my response with most Belgians.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GarethYoung (1109) - Glasgow, SCOTLAND - APR 28, 2005
[bottle: snifter]pours a dark red colour, with a large foamy head that quickly diminishes to a film. sweet fruity aroma, apples and a little cherry, there is also a dusty smell of yeast. very sweet upfront and finishes long and sour, reasonable body.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
IMtheOptimator (1161) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - JUN 1, 2005
Hmm... this is an interesting one. Poured brownish-amber with a fizzy tan head which dissipated quickly. Aroma sort of put me off, smelling like toffee and sour meat. I was rather afraid to taste it, but I’m glad I got over it. Flavor is very nice, with dominating tastes of tart black cherries, rounding out to a somewhat dry, nutty finish. Very pleasant. Not something I would seek out again, but I’m glad I tried it. Was also interested to see it listed in Michael Jackson’s Great Beer Guide.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Lunkie (1465) - Glen Iris, AUSTRALIA - JUL 3, 2005
Spicy sweet hop aroma. Clear brown colour with good head. Sweet floral flavour with spice malt and hops. Very complex. Fizzy palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
OldStyleCubFan (77) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUL 7, 2005
Dark amber color... little to no head out of the bottle... looks like a flat coke. Clear sour cherry taste.....very sweat as well...nice smooth mouth feel... at first I thought it was a little too sweet but by the end, I’ve warmed up to it