overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2290   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BillKismet (3321) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 1, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2010 Yuck Yuck Yuck!!! (and this is not meant as a Stooge laugh) Dark red in appearance, almost incarnadine, and having a noisome vinegary smell--the first indication that the flanders red ale may not strike a favorable note to me. Sour taste with accompanying smell--redolent of vinegar easter egg dying days. The sparkling carbonation adds a champagne quality--that of the cheap, rotten kind. This beer is sour to the taste of causing the salivation antecedent a vomiting episode--which it nearly induced in me. I could not force myself to finish half a bottle. One day I may venture to try this style again--but many hundreds of beers may come before it. Re-rated: 11/3/10: My initial rating of 1.0 over eight years ago, may have sprang from inexperience with sours, and may have also been due to a particularly acidic batch, which is bound to happen with these Brett beers. In any case, the most recent experience was much more pleasant. This brew was more balanced and drinkable than 85% of the sours on the market. Lacks the sweet tart character of the American versions, just a fine, aged sour malt character.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
jaymobrown (1649) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 5, 2002
At first smell I nearly gagged. At first taste I lost all my sense. Someone must have put vinegar in a bottle as a joke. Tasted like something I’d pour over my salad. Very sour. However, after it warmed it did mellow out. Probably best at room temperature.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
larsniclas (5548) - Billdal, SWEDEN - AUG 17, 2003
Ruby/brown colour. A sour vinegar aroma and flavour. Champagnelike sweet palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - MAR 28, 2004
Burgundy in colour. Umm, once again I have discovered a flavour that I am quite fond of (Balsalmic Vinegar this time) that in my opinion has no place in beer. There is a hint of apples and wood in the taste and nose. Finish is sour. Complex, but essentially undrinkable. Against the Grain here I come.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hawkshadow (107) - Rural Retreat, Virginia, USA - JUN 27, 2005
Pours clear amber, virtually no head. Aroma is weak at best, with sweet but also of a wine that is turning to vinegar. Initial flavor is slightly winelike, and reminds me of ducksauce at a chinese restaurant. Finishes slightly bitter, somewhat sweet. Not really one that I would sit back and enjoy. My wife and mother(who tasted it with me) both really enjoyed this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
gnoff (7666) - Mölndal, SWEDEN - AUG 7, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2008 Draught at Den Tatoverede Enke in Copenhagen, Denmark. Shady dark brown color, small tan head. Red wine scent, mixed with butterscotch which is not apparent in the bottled version. Fruity sour taste different from the bottled one. Not very much red wine taste, but it’s still apparent.
Edited info: I’ve had this on 25 cl, 33 cl and big (75 cl?) bottles, also on draught at various occasions and different places. My wife loves the stuff so I taste it every now and then, but I tend to just not like this one too much, though it’s better on bigger bottles than small ones and evern better on draught.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MrBeachtwig (54) - Sandared, SWEDEN - FEB 23, 2007
Bottle. A typical belgium dark beer, not bad but at the same time not special. Not very complex with a bit artificial flavour.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
William (202) - Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - MAR 14, 2007
On tap at Belgie in Utrecht. A bit too sweet for my taste, almost comparable to some Kriek beers. Nice head and beautiful glass.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TechMyst (167) - Fox River Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 5, 2007
Root beer appearance; opaque with garnet as transmitted color. White wine aroma. 4 months after ’best by’ date, but let’s be honest, that shouldn’t matter much here. Apple cider vinegar taste. Sweet/sour dry grapes. No head retension; thick rings which slid back into brew. Bubbles spaced very far apart. Tried this warmer than normal. Thin Mouthfeel. No bloating, which is unique to this style for me. Resinous palate. Oaky with tart cherry undertones. Almost cloyingly sweet. Drinkable though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - DEC 21, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2008 Bottle. Pours rich and full of plumb-red goodness. Aroma is nutty strawberry. Nice lacing around the glass. Flavor is coppery cherry with a faint sweetness that includes a touch of cedar. Watery mouthfeel. Fair, but not worth the price.