overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2334   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
legion242 (2191) - Richardson, Texas, USA - OCT 25, 2001
Bad bottle maybe? Too tart. Bad raisins.

Dogbrick (8141) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 6, 2003
Thanks to Darkover for the trade. I am still a little new to Flemish Sour Ales, Rodenbach Alexander being the only other one I have tried so far. From what I understand both are good examples of the style. That being the case I am fairly certain this is not a style I am a big fan of. Pours a dark amber/brown with a thick multi-colored head (beige with light brown splotches), with thin lacing. Aroma is alternatingly fruity and sour. The flavor actually reminded me of some Ohio Buckeye Brown that I tried not too long ago that had gone way past the "best by" date. Tart and vinegary flavor is tangy throughout. The finish is like an oaky Merlot. I was able to drink most of this in small doses, but I just can't appreciate the style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
walleye (1066) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - AUG 22, 2004
poured reddish brown with a light tan head. aroma sour cherries, citrus, choc. malts. flavor sour fruits, malt vinegar, colawith a hint of sweetness as it warmed. not a fan of this one thought I was dinking a semi sweet wine that was starting to turn bad

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
destroye7 (312) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 3, 2005
Bottle. Dark brown/red color. Vinegar aroma. Sweet taste. Cherries. A bit too sweet for my taste but not bad. The head disappeared fast.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
murrayswine (101) - Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 27, 2006
I think me and any Flanders officially dont get along. It pours a mildly headish ruby brown smelling frankly like sour patch kids, vinegar, and alcohol. The taste is light, lighter than the smell leads you to believe. It’s not my favorite, but it did finish with a saki clean, like a good Flanders. The body is a little light, though from other’s I’ve had.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
paco (527) - Regina, Saskatchewan, CANADA - FEB 18, 2007
Bottle. Pours an off colour maroon. Thin white head. Very sweet, thick. A little too sweet for me. Nice and warming going down. Good with desert.

estoves (41) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - MAR 9, 2007
Bottle.Dark ruby brown body with a large fizzy and creamy lasting head. Sour smell of wineager. Flavor is sour, sweet with som notes of wood and sour berries. Way to sour for me, probably not bad for its style, but i certainly dont like the style now.

estoves2 (98) - SWEDEN - JUL 2, 2007

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
glennmastrange (2255) - hobe sound, Florida, USA - MAY 12, 2010
Bottle. Moderate notes of dark bread and roasted for the malt, light to moderate perfumey hops, light musty leather for the yeast, and background aromas of prune, cherry, oak and red wine. Head is fizzy, off-white with some slippery lacing and is almost fully diminishing. Color is sparkling clear dark mahogany. Flavor starts lightly sweet and moderately acidic, then finishes lightly acidic and bitter and artificially sweet. Palate is medium, oily with fizzy carbonation and a metallic and lightly dry finish. This Sour Ale starts of pretty good with it’s aroma and appearance, but then came the crappy aftertaste and offensive mouthfeel. I think I’m done with Sour Ales.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 6/20
mfroseth (14) - NORWAY - APR 3, 2011
Fruity, sweet and strange, but had a full and even body/taste. Need some tasting before getting used to it I suppose. Very nice brown/reddish color, fruity smell.