overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2293   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - MAY 11, 2004
Iím rating this with ample leeway to the fact that I just canít learn to appreciate this style nor do I understand what a good Flemish Sour is. It should have a nice balance between sweet and sour flavors. I tasted both, but there is certainly no balance. Balsamic vinegar flavor dominates, brown sugar super-sweetness comes in second then there is a salty aftertaste. Try as I did to enjoy, to look somewhere for some inkling of pleasure, I found only shrieking taste buds and cringing lips. It tasted as though it were made with stagnet, metallic drinking fountain water. While I admire anyone that can enjoy this beverage, as far as Iím concerned the Duchesse wears no clothes (actually, she is kinda hot).

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
mcbeyond (104) - Newport Beach, California, USA - OCT 26, 2009
Fairly sour on the nose, a bit like non-vintage Bollinger, but not as stomach-acidy. Weakish palate with rotting lemon peel. Long finish. Bottle says best before 2/1/10. Has it spent two years in the bottle already? Maybe it needs more age, but Iím not sure.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
chimplechamp (601) - Oslo, NORWAY - OCT 13, 2010
Notes of malt vinegar and cola. There is something really alluring about it. But once you get those two tasting notes in your brain there is no turning back. Malt vinegar. And coca cola.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
crossovert (7019) - Illinois, USA - FEB 9, 2011
A super sweet and syrupy Flemish Red. IT has notes of sugar syrup, horse radish, and vinegar.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
adrosson (148) - California, USA - APR 20, 2012
A little too sweet and syrupy for me. Prefer a drier sour Big bottle for Xmas 2011 ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
BlackHaddock (3514) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - MAY 17, 2012
From a November 2008 review on BA: I didnít like the sour, vingerous aroma mixed in with the old cherry and almonds smells. I know that it is what it should smell like, but this seemed over the top. It looked fine, clear ruby red when held up to the light. The head started as a wisp and didnít change much throughout the drinking, apart from getting less and less of a wisp. The sweet and sour taste was too sickly and it was too fizzy as well, over carbonated for sure. This is a designer beer, Iíve had it on tap and bottled before, it wasnít great then. My wife doesnít like it and I donít either.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
dhunter151 (523) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JUN 6, 2013
Pours brown with a white head. I found this beer to be way too malty and sweet. I didn't think it was balanced. The sourness was actually pretty mellow. Couldn't even finish it. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Renobob (576) - BesanÁon, FRANCE - APR 3, 2014
Bue en bouteille de 75cl. Faut aimer les fruits rouges quoi parce que cíest le seul arŰme ŗ distinguer. Corpulence moyenne. Bof.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
BigBen2120 (688) - Derry, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 13, 2007
11.2oz brown bottle from Florianís. My first Flemish Red. Dark brownish-red body with ruby-red highlights and a half an inch of light tan head. Smells acidic (like vinegar) with hints of fruit. Tastes acidic and fruity, like a raspberry maybe? After a few sips, a yeasty character starts to show too. Medium-bodied. Not sure what to think of this one... Iím sure itís to style and great for what it is, but I just canít get past that vinegar-like quality, which hurts the taste, smell, and drinkability... Call me unsophisticated and inexperienced, and compared to some I may be, but I am just not a fan of this one, sorry. At least I only ot an 11.2oz.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
ukoolaid (576) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - APR 6, 2007
UPDATED: APR 18, 2007 Bottle. Iím afraid I didnít like this one at all. Itís probably my fault, as I "lost" it in my beer cabinet for who knows how long...1 year, 2 years? I didnít mean to age it this long. It was barely sour. Mostly alcohol sweetness with rotten fruit. I owe this one another rating.