overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2387   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cheesemonster99 (14) - Glasgow, - APR 25, 2002
A beer with a very bizarre taste. I can’t say that i’ve tried anything like this before although whether thats a good thing or not...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - APR 26, 2003
It isn't that I don't like sour beers, but the vinegar is just too much. Huge acid and sour character makes this all but undrinkable in my book. I can taste that it is quality beer, but it doesn't taste good to me.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
humulus (339) - Salem, Missouri, USA - MAY 11, 2004
I’m rating this with ample leeway to the fact that I just can’t learn to appreciate this style nor do I understand what a good Flemish Sour is. It should have a nice balance between sweet and sour flavors. I tasted both, but there is certainly no balance. Balsamic vinegar flavor dominates, brown sugar super-sweetness comes in second then there is a salty aftertaste. Try as I did to enjoy, to look somewhere for some inkling of pleasure, I found only shrieking taste buds and cringing lips. It tasted as though it were made with stagnet, metallic drinking fountain water. While I admire anyone that can enjoy this beverage, as far as I’m concerned the Duchesse wears no clothes (actually, she is kinda hot).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
iosonomarco (41) - Milano, ITALY - NOV 29, 2006
All’olfatto si presentano aromi molto fruttati con sentori di aceto. Al palato si presenta una combinazione di dolce (eccessivo) e acido (leggermente astringente). Il gusto è quello dolce della ciliegia e dell’amarena, con sentori di aceto balsamico.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
HOPSHUNTER (742) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 7, 2009
Bottle. Poured a reddish brown nice head. Aroma is very sour. This is my first sour ale so that probably explains the low rating. I thought it was pretty aweful very sweet and at the same time very sour tasted of vinegar. Sweet and sour, like it on my pork not sure if I want it in my beer.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
mcbeyond (104) - Newport Beach, California, USA - OCT 26, 2009
Fairly sour on the nose, a bit like non-vintage Bollinger, but not as stomach-acidy. Weakish palate with rotting lemon peel. Long finish. Bottle says best before 2/1/10. Has it spent two years in the bottle already? Maybe it needs more age, but I’m not sure.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
chimplechamp (601) - Oslo, NORWAY - OCT 13, 2010
Notes of malt vinegar and cola. There is something really alluring about it. But once you get those two tasting notes in your brain there is no turning back. Malt vinegar. And coca cola.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
crossovert (7899) - Illinois, USA - FEB 9, 2011
A super sweet and syrupy Flemish Red. IT has notes of sugar syrup, horse radish, and vinegar.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
adrosson (148) - California, USA - APR 20, 2012
A little too sweet and syrupy for me. Prefer a drier sour Big bottle for Xmas 2011 ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
BlackHaddock (4138) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - MAY 17, 2012
From a November 2008 review on BA: I didn’t like the sour, vingerous aroma mixed in with the old cherry and almonds smells. I know that it is what it should smell like, but this seemed over the top. It looked fine, clear ruby red when held up to the light. The head started as a wisp and didn’t change much throughout the drinking, apart from getting less and less of a wisp. The sweet and sour taste was too sickly and it was too fizzy as well, over carbonated for sure. This is a designer beer, I’ve had it on tap and bottled before, it wasn’t great then. My wife doesn’t like it and I don’t either.