overall
Formerly brewed at Brouwerij de Horste
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Nederhorst Den Berg, Netherlands

RATINGS: 64   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A full-bodied, copper ale with an enticing aroma and a warm rich finish. Mildly hopped with an abundance of malt in the palate in the finest tradition of the Netherlands.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - APR 5, 2005
Bottle. Rubbery sweet chemical smell-in a good way. Lots of adjuncts-corn, rice, etc (at least that is the impression I got). Medium bitter finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 3, 2010
I love old beer, aka aged beer. Why? Usually because it tastes fanfuckingtastic, but I also would say that itís the novelty of the matter, too. Even more amazing is the novelty is actual reality, especially when I sit with said aged beer in hand, pondering how age has changed her for the better, or for the worse. But I am rambling. Where was I? Ah yes, aged beer, specifically the Bottle Conditioned Traditional Dutch Ale Vermeer from the Brouwerij de Horste in Belgium. The bottle we shared at a recent tasting was many years old, and I must say, she was at the prime of her long proud life. Iíd love to have a go at her again, but the beer is retired so I canít buy a new bottle to age even though I want to. A crying shame, which makes the glass I savored even more special.

Dirty oranges with a miniscule head which scatters rather quickly, lingering as a pathetically thin ringlet. She swirls nicely though, tufting up in proud regalia and tracing lace along her path. Exploding forth from her disturbed depths is a thick, rich nose of orange sherbet, nectarines, mango, kiwi, papaya, guava, and a background essence of green herbs and aloe. Apparently, the tropics have descended unto my glass when I wasnít paying attention, bringing with them the heavy muggy atmosphere they enjoy so much. Itís alright though; I am a tiki bar beach bum after all. Licking greedy lips, my first quaff is as deep as her equally tropical and exotic depths which waste no time opening up to me. Sweet, pulpy, and fruity, guava and honey coats my lips before smothering all porous surfaces within my mouth. Grab the juicer because here come papaya, mango, cucumber, green pepper, and soft ripe bananas ready to be blended into a tropical smoothie paradise. A soothing presence of aloe permeates her whole palate while a touch of toasted meringue offers up gentle support from the background. Not overly complex, but very rich in palate, she satisfies with each subsequent quaff which I savor with time-honored reverence.

Awesome. What was she like back when she was but a fresh babe right off the bottling line? I have no idea, but I can tell you that, years later, time has been generous with her blessings and I am equally blessed to have been able to share in it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - APR 26, 2005
Tap NY evening. I believe Wilblake got this from Matta, so thank you Matt! Hazy golden, creamy white head. Sherried dried fruit aroma. Cardboard. Musty cardboard, dried fruit flavor. Rather old, but still tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 22, 2005
750 mL bottle (unknown vintage) sampled early December 2004: Large fluffy cream dies into large soapy bubble atop a golden, apricot haze. Frantic stream of bubbles throughout the body. A thin white film is left after sitting for several minutes. Yeasty, yellow cake aroma with figs, sugary malt, butter and soft earth. Fairly spicy palate: peppery and herbal qualities. Floral hops are evident along the smooth, creamy mouth feel. Soft, subtle fruits are more noticeable as it opens up and warms: pears, bananas, cherries, plums, and honey suckle. Long, lingering, funky finish with leather, tannins, iron, spicy yeast, malted flowers, dull lemon grass and a bit of candy sugar mix for an interesting end to a truly crazy beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - APR 5, 2005
Pours a hazy golden color, medium sized white head. QUite yeasty with a bit of spice and some apple. Itís a tad oxodized but it did not detract and I expected it a bit due to the age. A little bit of funk on this one. Kind of makes it akin to a saison but a touch sweeter. This held up pretty well, I wasnít really expecting it to.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - APR 5, 2005
Cloudy gold w/ large, rocky white head. Aroma is yeasty, toasty & malty w/ notes of banana, pear, grassy hops, vanilla, & mint. Light, lively, effervescent feel. Flavour is sweet, yeasty, & malty w/ a light acidity & a peppery spiciness in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 21, 2004
Hazy golden body with a light, fluffy white head. The aroma is sweet and fruity with a bit of spice and a moderate hop element. Apple cider, lemongrass, vanilla, honey, biscuit, earthy hops, alcohol and a touch of cobwebs. Strong carbonation gives the tongue a nice prickly sensation. The flavor is mostly sweet with a bit of earthy hop bitterness toward the end. Almost too sweet at times, where the finishing bitterness and funky yeast just canít cut it. Refreshing and pleasant, just not quite as strong as I expected. Perhaps I should have given it a bit more time dry out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
TChrome (1425) - Bedford, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2005
This bottle opened with a much better cork pot than the last bottle I opened at a Dallas gathering. Beer pours clear golden with a fizzy white head that totally dissipates. Aroma is very fruity, estery. Flavor is sweet and sour with some Chardonnay characteristics like its sister beer Beatrix. I am curios how this beer would have been when it was you, however I feel it is definetely past its prime now.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 5, 2005
hazy golf, white head. aroma of spicy yeast, pepper, apple juice and baking bread. flavour is appley with caramel, more yeast and a little sour citrus. light carbonation. past itís prime, but far from bad. nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
WISEGUY572 (1373) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 15, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2006 Cloudy orange gold, with huge off white head. Bready and yeasty, with some fruit. Not a big great Belgian, but a more traditoinal farmhouse style. Exactly what I thought it would be.