overall

RATINGS: 293   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   EST. CALORIES: 111   ABV: 3.7%
The tastiest dark brew since the rollicking days of the infamous Donnybrook Fair, Donnybrook Stout offers unparalleled refreshment for an ale so deep in flavor and intrigue. Fresh, whole flower British and Slovenian hops provide the proper, earthy hint of 'the auld sod' while deep roasted barley and low alcohol keep Donnybrook Stout clean, smooth and flavorful. Served on mixture of 75% nitro and 25% CO2.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
T2Tool (352) - Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA - JAN 4, 2009
Had on tap. Nitro poured into a pint glass a black color with a nice, creamy tan head. Aroma of dark roasted malt with a little nuttiness. Taste of burnt chocolate and coffee along with the roasted malts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
joshwilfong (1200) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 29, 2008
nice looking pitch black brew with creamy-nitrogenated head. little nose. subtle flavor with some hints of roasted malt and some sourness, likely from a lactobacillus blend. i imagined this was supposed to be a guiness-like brew, but doesn’t have the subtleties or mouthfeel. not great, but a reasonable version of the style

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dagimp (799) - Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 26, 2008
On tap in Berwyn, PA, Main Street Pub. Pours a midnight black with one finger of head that stays with it. Beer was very dark with coffee tones to it. Unfortunately it was very sour and thick. Bitter aftertaste that stayed in my mouth for a few minutes. I would not buy this beer again. Go with the storm king stout by Victory, an excellent beer. This has been my only dissapointing beer so far from Victory, an otherwise great brewer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 22, 2008
On tap at Tylers, Durham. Pretty thin looking body, almost like a brown, with a very minimal amount of carbonation. Sure enough, the body is perilously thin, which I think is a surprise for the solid Victory. Faint malts, very little roasts at all, nothing even approaching the pleasures the style can often afford. Not good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
WeeHeavySD (3361) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 22, 2008
Nitro at Rustico in Alexandria. It is listed on tap, not nitro, but when it poured I was pretty sure this was nitro, I was going to walk up to the bar and see for myself, I asked the waiter, who confirmed this for me, and was interested to know how I knew it was nitro, and so I explained. Pours black with a satiny smooth 1 finger tan head. Nose is sweet and malty, taste is light malty and dry, like a slightly better guiness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TURDFERGUSON (4010) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 17, 2008
On nitro at Speakeasy. Pour is exactly like Guinness...black with a thick meringue like white head. Nose is pretty faint, slight roasted malt, a bit of cream. Flavor is pretty similar to Guinness as well. Ick. Bartender told me to have this last because it was a palate killer. Hahaha. He also said it was a coffee stout. Could not smell any coffee in this beer and looking at the description it seems he was wrong there too. Of course the girl sitting at the bar tells me to trust my bartender and since I knew the guy I did not want to seem rude, but he really does not know shit. Surprise. Not a huge fan of Guinness and honestly I would have thought this was Guinness if I had got it blind. Next...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Goodgrief (1844) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - NOV 27, 2008
Sampled at the brewpub. Of course it’s served with e nitrogen pour because, well, if Guinness does it, then everyone else has to as well. Still, this one manages to retain some flavor, which is a plus. Lots of roasted malts…to the point of being burnt tasting malts (which isn’t all bad). Unfortunately, there is a fairly strong milky/lactic flavor that 9 times out of 10 I find distasteful, and this isn’t the exception. I personally wouldn’t go back, but worth a try if you dig this style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
dogfish120love (1028) - Westfield, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 18, 2008
Very similar too a guiness in many qualities. More flavorfull however with a greater malt backing. subtled notes of oats and cofee are present

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
pacaus (49) - Dublin, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 16, 2008
On top at Victory. Wow, the appearence of this beer was amazing and it really went down smooth. I really enjoyed this beer. My only complaint would have been to see it have a little more taste. Overall I really enjoyed this and its to bad its only on tap as I have found any places near me that are not a 1 hour drive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
GuilTTy (728) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - OCT 8, 2008
On tap at Swanky Bubbles in Voorhees, NJ and one of the most challenging beers I’ve reviewed - challenging because it looks amazing and goes down smoother than silk but it lacks flavor and aroma. There you have it - that’s my review (pretty much). Stunningly gorgeous with a wildly rich and creamy tan head. The texture of the head and the body of the beer grab you right away but there isn’t enough flavor to pull your attention away. Mild bittersweet chocolate and burnt coffee with a strong emphasis on *mild*. Very little carbonation in keeping with the style. If it had more flavor this donnybrook would have delivered a knockout but the appearance and texture alone warrant a few more rounds.