RATINGS: 2440   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Enchanting and enlightening, this golden, frothy ale boasts an intriguing herbal aroma, warming alcohol esters on the tongue and light, but firm body to finish. Exotic spices add subtle notes to both the aroma and flavor. Strong, sensual and satisfying.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
egajdzis (5699) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2005 Bottled March 03... Poured a cloudy yellow orange color with hardly any head or lacing. Light fruits, oranges, apples, and some alcohol in the aroma. Spice, some honey, spice, some yeast all present in the taste. Very citrusy and only alittle alcoholic. I think I will enjoy this whole 750 by myself.
At 2 yrs old, the characteristics really haven’t changed much. Tastes sweeter, alcohol is still noticed.
At 5 yrs, wow, heres the change! Very fruity aroma, sweet taste, a tart citrus flavor develops. No alcohol. The taste struck me very similar to sweet tarts. Age this 4 - 5 years, I know I will.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Appletart (10) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 17, 2003
Don't you just love when your beer is the color of late afternoon sunshine? Well, I do. Basic fruity beer scent, spicy, and inviting. I'm suddenly craving pie, hmm, interesting. Dude, this beer rocks! Spicy, not sweet. Amazingly smooth & unoffensive for 9.5er. Cheap too. I'm always a sucker for a colorful, psychodelic bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - DEC 14, 2003
Ahh another beautiful Victory.Poured a nice gold color with an aroma of fruits and spice.The alcohol was not hidden at all and warmed your mouth all the way down to my belly.I want more of this stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - DEC 12, 2003
Very light on the Belgian yeast, which sems to be a rather large obstacle for American brewers to overcome. The beer is full of only slightly estery malt (thank you victory for the conservative yeast) and tangy, alchoholic goodness. This is surprisingly smooth with the hot kick (but not offensive) of alchohol, and sublte spice that lends itself to tremendous drinkability.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 12, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2004 We first experienced the Monkey at the 2003 beer exchange. What an introduction into Tripels. It was decided that the next time we should sample in smaller quantities... this monkey bites... hard! Definitely an herbal aroma with some great spiciness although I could not figure out exactly which spices they were. This is a sweet tasting beer and remains that way for the entire bottle. Nice golden color, but not totally clear. This beer is bottle conditioned and leaves a nice bit of yeast on its bottom. Great stinging finish and packs a good wallop. I drank one and enjoyed a nice sweet slumber on my couch!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bu11zeye (12367) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - DEC 8, 2003
(Bottle) Pours a golden color with a medium frothy head. Has a honey and citrus taste with a creamy mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hoppygrrrl (104) - Albion, Michigan, USA - DEC 8, 2003
"Enchanting and enlightening" is quite a claim, but this beer comes nearly as close as any. Very smooth, with a nectar-like, syrupy heaviness which coats your palate, it's right on for a tripel. Sweet, spicy, and certainly warming. Perfect for a winter night (or for any night at all :)

MarkR (68) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 7, 2003
12 oz. Bottle - Bottled on date: Jul 24 03 <P> Effervescent, pale honey with a hint of orange. Good clarity. Thin white cap with fair lacing. The aroma has a hefty amount of barnyard funk, along with some honey and apple fruitiness. A bit of spiciness as well. The flavor has much more tropical fruit complexity than what was hinted at in the nose. Lots of honey, apple, pineapple, and pear. The earthy funkiness that dominated the aroma is subdued here, and is noticeable mostly in it’s dry finish. Coriander, medicinal phenols, grass, and spicy alcohol round out the flavor. It’s lush, creamy mouthfeel is quite nice, but still a step behind the better Belgian examples. Adding the dregs brings another layer of complexity, with some lengthy, bready yeast character. The last bottle of this I had (several months ago) was horribly contaminated…good to see Victory’s QC has improved. Overall, this is a very flavorful domestic tripel, but still not quite as good as those from Southampton or Allgash.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Yankovitch333 (612) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - DEC 6, 2003
I decided to drink this while I put up my Christmas tree. I meant to rate it after I finished, but i decided to drink a 4 pack of Dogfish Head Midas Touch instead, and then I don't remember going to bed. But it pours a murky gold with a thick white head. The aroma is citric, sweet, and fruity. Peaches, lemon, and different spices could be detected. It was slightly bitter and tart, and the finish was a little dry. Overall this was a really enjoyable tripel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
SirTom (89) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 6, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2003 Had this on draft and in bottles. It was very different between the two, but it could have been because it was too cold on draft. The monkey is always a favourite. Beats the pants off of other belgians. FYI, I had this side by side with 5 seasons brune, and the 5 seasons was better. RERATE: pukey monkey. dropped from 16/20 to 12/20. too sour and terrible.