Victory Hop Wallop

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 1837   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Horace ‘Hop’ Wallop headed West a broken man. For it was a certain Miss LuLubelle Lager that had left him, thirsting for more. Drawn by wild tales of the riches of the gold mines, Hop pressed on westward. His last nickel spent on a prospecting pan, Hop’s hunger and thirst got the best of him. Two fistfuls o’ barley and three of some wild and wayward hops tossed in the pan with some clear water was to be his meal. But sleep overcame him and he woke to a bubbling, cacophonous concoction. Overjoyed with the beautiful ale that he had made, Hop realized the secret of the ’green gold’ he had discovered in those fresh hops. Celebrated far and wide, Hop Wallop lives on in this vivid ale with his words, "hoppiness is happiness." As our annual homage to the fresh hop harvest, Hop Wallop is a fragrant experience that delights the tastebuds. Pure gold of color, this ale offers its heady bounty of hops to the adventurous of taste. Bold, bracing and surprisingly refreshing for a strong (8.5% a.b.v.) ale, Hop Wallop lives up to its name and legacy.

BeeriedEyed (211) - USA - FEB 22, 2011
The aroma of this beer smells different than most IPA that I have tasted. It’s fruittier than most in a good way. It tastes very good and I wouldn’t have this beer any other way.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Jaysus (17) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 11, 2004
Whoa, I love this brew... Very clear, with no visible 'yeasties' and a vicious hop bite - you will feel this one in your cheeks.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
b33pb00p (4) - West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 22, 2009 does not count
This is my first review, and the reason is because I tasted Victory Hop Wallop. I have been a fan of Hop Devil for a long time, and friends told me that Wallop is similar, but stronger. I figured I would give it a go, and it was not a bad choice. Aroma is sensational, sweeter sweeter and mildly spicier than you would expect from an 8.5% beer. Wonderful darker color. Taste was exceptional, better than I could have imagined. Matched aroma nearly exactly. There was no charcoal aftertaste left on the palate as I sometimes get with Hop Devil. Easily may claim the spot as my favorite beer after I try some more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Mlarkus (1) - Dyersburg, Tennessee, USA - SEP 14, 2012 does not count
This beer got me hooked on hoppy beer , being for PA I never heard of Victory until I moved to Texas. The 1. st half of the bottle and I said damn this is bitter, the second half I founf myself saying damn this is good. It gives the feel of a milkshake as you drink it, but finishes clean. This is way better than hop devil, and hop devil is great in itself. This is what I compare most new IPA’s to when I find them. Victory should push this more than hop devil.

Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 14, 2004
This poured a cloudy yellow-gold with a medium sized white head. The flavor was super hoppy and really outstanding. I really enjoyed this beer.

georgekappus (296) - Brookfield, Connecticut, USA - APR 14, 2007
A true spectacle in hopdom. Hop Wollop has a beautiful hoppy aroma straight from the popping of the cap. The hop flavor that follows is just as extraordinary. An excellent hoppy brew from the first scent to the last sip.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
topherbecker (4) - USA - SEP 24, 2007 does not count
One of my all time favorite hoppy beers. If you’re a fan of Bell’s Two Hearted, you’ll like this. Wonderful citrus in the hops. Great hop aroma and flavor with the malt to back it up. Nice thick mouthfeel. Perfect Double IPA.

brosen561 (70) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 2, 2009
From bottle in tulip. One of my favorite beers. Pours and opaque goldenrod with a nice white head that leaves a little lacing. Strong aroma of grapefruit, caramel, cinnamon, and plenty of hops. Abrupt and wonderful taste of grapefruit, caramel, lemon grass, and a bit of bitterness. Finishes sweet and nicely bitter, with little taste of alcohol. Great stuff.

MONSONBYCHOKE (1) - Massachusetts, USA - JAN 29, 2010 does not count
This Beer is the King of Hop...I have nothing but good things to say about it. Leaves my mouth tingling and refreshed. Hint of Pineapple and spice. Very tasty!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
grundsow (83) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 7, 2011
Similar to Vicory’s Prima Pils, except the excellent bitter, hoppy flavor lasts and lasts. No complicating spices. Only negative is the high 8.5% alcohol limits how much can be enjoyed at a sitting.