overall

RATINGS: 3037   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hershiser2 (1313) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 30, 2004
Paid $7.99 for a 6-pack. Nice burnt-orange color, with a decent head. Most of the IPAs I've had recently have had an extreme head, so this one is small in comparrison. Hoppiness in the nose, with a light citrus (grapefruit). Very nice smell, but not strong... I must admit, I love IPAs that smell up the room the moment I open the bottle. This one doesn't, but still has a nice aroma. Not quite as hoppy as I had imagined. I've heard for so long that I needed to try this since I loved IPAs/hops, and I must say, I'm a bit disappointed. I thought it was going to be insanely hoppy. Instead, it's nice hoppy. Anyway, it's still a good brew: slightly malty, pretty hoppy, hints of citrus, hints of pine, hints of pepper.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
auto (163) - California, USA - JAN 28, 2004
very nice aroma, not really sure how to describe it but it's strong. the aroma, however, doesnt make up for the fact that this beer has very little bite to it. i was disappointed with the weak flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
y0cola (361) - fremont, California, USA - JAN 28, 2004
At first I thought I had a bad batch, but after reading a few of the ratings I see the name hop devil doesn't reflect the flavor. It did, however, have quite a nice aroma which was filled with floral and bitter hints. Flavor, even though not hoppy, was not that good. Reminded me of an altbier or an amber or something.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - JAN 25, 2004
Hop bunny rabbit is more like it. Despite the misleading name, this is quite a good well balanced IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JAN 24, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 16, 2005 In the bottle at the Huber Haus IPA tasting. reddish copper in color. A dark white head. Malty hoppy aroma. Not nearly as hoppy in flavor as the name would imply. In fact, seems to be a solid standard IPA. Very good, but not outstanding. I suspect this is slightly over-rated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JAN 21, 2004
Always have been impressed with this one. Figured I had better rate it before hop whallop....Perfect looking red-orange beer with a nice off-white head. Nice Spicy American hop aroma, with a perfect blend of carmel malt there as well. They have this down perfectly. Big flavor of hops and carmel malt, with a nice full body. Easy to drink and very well made.

beerluvindave (194) - Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 21, 2004
NOw this is a good IPA. Very smooth, yet bold, and a nicely sweet, possibly carmel finish that defines the brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
maltdog (621) - Colorado, USA - JAN 9, 2004
Deep amber in color, and the light khaki head leaves mazes of lace in the glass. The nose is an initial assault of pungent, grassy hops, followed by sweet maple-y malt, cantaloupe(!), and another, subtler layer of hops, this one resiny and piney. Flavors: spicy hop with a floral quality, sweetish, fruity (habanero minus the heat, grapefruit). The finish is spicy, slightly overbitter/astringent, and seems to stick to the roof of your mouth. There's also an afterthought of minty-peachy coolness on the tongue. Medium-bodied and silky. I hate to say it, but I think the hops are masking what could be an outstanding beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - JAN 9, 2004
tasty but nothing memorable. expensive. with a name like 'hop devil' you'd think it's the most wickedly hoppy beer ever. but it's not! smells great-- amber in color (one of the darker ipa's i've had). sweet, irony, then dry... not much character, but very pleasant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
HoppyBunny (88) - Temptation, Michigan, USA - JAN 8, 2004
This beer satisfied my beer thirst. I love how light and crisp it tasted. Also, who can deny a great hoppy smell.. woo hoo!