overall

RATINGS: 2907   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ida7999 (105) - Milford, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 22, 2003
- cloudy amber color with a short creamy head, aroma is straight hops; flavor is hoppy though not excessive, bitter as one would expect from a well-hopped ale, dry as well as a bit of malty sweetness, smooth with a rich texture

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Silphium (3160) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - FEB 22, 2003
A solid, smooth IPA. It seems like most beers of this style are extremely similar, with little variation between (most) brewers. For a "Hop Devil," this one has decent, but not great, bite. It seems to me Bells Two-Hearted ale has more hops bite. Not as complex as Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, either, but still not a bad choice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Vikingbeau (67) - Albertville, Minnesota, USA - FEB 21, 2003
"Best enjoyed by 2/24/03"...I enjoyed on 2/20/03. That made me a little nervous. This beer was really good but more malt than the bitter and hoppy as I remembered her at a previous tasting. Maybe the age of the bottle. She gave and maintained good head. One last thing she left lace which makes me want to come back for more.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2003
Amber in color, small head. Scent is pine/hops. Taste is more of an amber than an IPA. For a beer that claims to be a Hopdevil/IPA this is unexpectedly subdued in its hop bite. That being said this is a drinkable, refreshing, crisp beer but not what it claims to be. I am not a hop-head but I would be disappointed in this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - FEB 11, 2003
Beautiful nose of spicy fruit, citrus and perfume. This brew pours from the bottle a cloudy orange amber. The large creamy off-white head is mostly lasting with fair lacing. The brisk flavor is much more balanced and complex than most brews of this style that normally just bludgeon you with a giant hop hammer. The brew starts bold with a toasted and spicy malt front. The middle is warm, and slightly sweet and sour with a moderate to heavy acidity. The finish is long and bitter as one would expect from an IPA. The medium dry body is lively and finishes very astringent. This great beer exceeds my expectations for one of my favorite styles. Again it reminds me of Stone Ruination and Sam Smith's IPA in that it is much more than a hop loaded assault on the drinker's taste buds.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nuffield (3657) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - FEB 9, 2003
I think this beer deserves praise as an example of the style, although I don't know what that adds up to in the overall scheme of things. Pours initially hazy, clearing to a copper brown, not much head. After pouring it I could smell the aroma clearly when my nose was still two feet from the glass. What is most impressive is the level of malt backbone to this, making it more than just a hop experience. But a hop experience it remains--one of the better hop flavors I've found in an IPA, very natural and fresh tasting, with a similarly natural bitterness--and it makes me think again what would the "Top 100" list look like if there were real geographic balance among people voting. I felt there was still a lack of interest and complexity of flavors. Nicely warming. Good stuff, overall, if this what excites you.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
slimjim (106) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 30, 2003
Nice color, nice spice, nice bitter beer, but be cautious, this beer will bite you back like the devil it claims to be!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - JAN 27, 2003
The spiciness of the beer was intriguing, but that's about it. Every time I took a sip I felt like I had to scrape my tongue. If you don't like strong hops, don't bother with this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - JAN 27, 2003
This one poured an orange color with hints or red and light brown in it. Absolutely no head to be found with this beast. The aroma was very clean with notes of citrus and malt. The taste confused the crap out of me however as i am used to an all out hopp assault on the palate. Its very well balanced between hops and malt. As i kept telling DaSilky1, this one tastes just like a Stone Pale Ale (try em and tell me they dont!). A good dose of malt upfront leads way to a mild helping of hopping bitterness near the end. Dry ending, very reminscent of an excess malt dry ending. It is indeed very good, but its not deserving of the name Hop Devil, thats for sure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 21, 2003
Good stuff big on hops. Spicy and hoppy flavor. Starts off with great flavor but finishes a little too bitter.