overall

RATINGS: 2863   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - NOV 7, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2004 Update: I have to take this down a notch after noticing a lot of inconsistency. Old :(11/02) Lovely ruby topped by a generous white head. Tremendous piney hop aroma. Complex sweet fruity malt structure with big hops providing relief. Superbly balanced and a comprehensively drinkable IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - NOV 6, 2002
Pours a deep amber color and has a very nice hop aroma. This one is perfectly balanced, with the hop bitterness complimenting the malt sweetness perfectly in the front. The finish is long and full of hops. Nice IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Suttree (4908) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - NOV 4, 2002
Hops dominate the taste, but it has a nice finish as well. Enough maltiness to give it a little backbone. But really, its all about the hops. I wish it were available where I live, I could drink a lot of this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Aubrey (3418) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - NOV 1, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2003 Re-Rate: Great stuff, from a great brewery. Big & tasty malt flavors meld perfectly with the hops. Very well-balanced and tasty. Not overly hoppy, but nevertheless, very enjoyable. A finely made product! Over time, this beer has become a regular item in my refrigerator. Beware, it is very addictive. The malts grow on you like a fungus, and the hops grow on you like a virus. At first, I only thought this beer was 'pretty good.' Now, I see it as a lifeblood staple. Hook, line, and sinker.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Holdwine (1071) - Beertimore, Maryland, USA - OCT 28, 2002
God bless the hops! Who says you canít have an extra bitter beer taste good? This looks like an IPA with a small foamy head that disappears quickly. Almost coppery in color, although it didnít stay in my glass long enough to focus on the color...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 24, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2007 Iíve been waiting a long time for this one... here we go! Head is small, brown and dissipates slowly. Aroma is not as hoppy as I had originally thought it would be but the aroma is overwhelmingly hops. Flavor has a nice balance, probably the best balance Iíve experienced in any IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jaymobrown (1617) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 22, 2002
Smooth hops and extremely understated. Ruby, amber color. Finishes off with a sweet taste. A very enjoyable IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - OCT 21, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 18, 2005 Rerate 5/18/05 This stuff isnít really as great as I recall. I have taken down from 4.4 to current score after drinking a few more. This is, unequivocally, one of the top IPAís available. Absolutely gorgeous to look at and taste. The hops lend a complex spiciness which leaves a spruce residue in the mouth. The malts balance with charming warmth. A must have beer that, unfortunately, is unavailable in Michigan. Two-Hearted finally has found some competition in my IPA ratings.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ungstrup (28458) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - OCT 17, 2002
I have to rate this - even though itís some time since I had it (against my own rule). But this was without comparison my favorite beer from my June visit to the NE US. The hoppy bitterness stands out in a class of itís own - all I can say - try it - if You have the chance.

Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 14, 2002
A nice amber/copper color with a thin lasting head. Aroma is splendidly hoppy. The hops contribute a huge pine element on top of a lovely sweet malt backbone. A nice crisp finish really adds to this experience. Outstanding.