overall

RATINGS: 3045   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

greghate (10) - Parkesburg, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 23, 2003
My All-Time-Favoritest-Beer-Ever. I just haven't found too many beers that even come close to matching hop-malt-aroma-finish of this beer. If ever in the Downingtown area, visit Victory or the Drafting Room and try the cask-conditioned version of Hop Devil, it's worth the trip. You haven't lived til you've had ribs with Hop Devil barbecue sauce. BEST-BEER-EVER

KingPinHead (390) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - OCT 20, 2003
Fina aroma with whole-hop essence...Color is a rich amber with a very nice head...The flavor is hoppy, as the name implies, but by West Coast standards, is not super-intense---but this really makes for a well-balanced brew, buoyed by a solid malt foundation...Carbonation is restrained, letting the hops speak for themselves, and contributing to a fine smoothness for such an ale with an assertive hoppy edge...This is a really good IPA, perhaps lacking that Nth degree of distinctiveness, but certainly a dandy brew with flavor, nice weight, and excellent balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
scoobyluv (511) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - OCT 18, 2003
where's the hops? not as hoppy as expected. floral bouquet. very smooth ipa with a thin head. dark amber color.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 17, 2003
A very decent Ipa, but I was expecting a little more hop action. Nice fuit flavors with a little spice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
xsketchyx (184) - Oregon, USA - OCT 14, 2003
My first beer from Victory, and I'm going to have to buy everything from them I can find. Almost perfect IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 14, 2003
I actually had this beer right after I drank 3 Floyds Alpha King. I have to say that the hop devil actually seemed to taste much better. It has an extemely high amount of hops. It is tough to balance the hops, but Victory has done an excellent job. I had this beer on tap at McGregors in Rochester, NY.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
chronictonic (473) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 11, 2003
One of my all time favorite IPAs. Great balance between a big malt body and an intense hop profile. Great mix of hops - flavor, bitterness and awesome aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jeffin7 (613) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - OCT 8, 2003
Very drinkable IPA. Strong but not overpowering hop presence with a nice sweet malty backbone to provide very nice balance. Maybe its all the IIPAs I have been having lately but this just seemed remarkably easy to drink while still providing very good flavor

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 6, 2003
A very good example of an American IPA. I love the full hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. Balanced very nicely with a good malt base and the crystal malt sweetness that comes through. A very good clone of the original Sierra Nevada Celebtaion, actually a little better! I get it draft to go at Thirsty's in York, $7.50 a half gallon.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ElGaucho (2278) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - OCT 1, 2003
I was the first one on my block to try Victory Hop Devil. I featured it as one of 12 beers in a beer tasting event I hosted in April 2002. It was in the online research for that event that I stumbled across Ratebeer.com, but all of the Hop Devil from the beer tasting had been consumed before I realized I was about to embark upon rating beers for a hobby. Anyway, I finally got my paws on another 6 pack! Sweet pine aroma, with a distinct piney hop profile. Amber in color with attractive, large off-white head, which is mostly diminishing. Very nice lace. Flavor is unbelievably good. If I could put down 11 points in this category I would. A perfectly balanced palate between hops and malt. The hops are strong and sweet without being overbearing. The closest thing to an IPA session caliber beer I have ever tasted. It tastes so pristinely good that you would think that to brew it that way would be effortless. But scores of IPAs that fall short are clear evidence that it is very difficult indeed.