overall

RATINGS: 2972   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nlanza (18) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 22, 2002
Honestly, I was prepared for a much hoppier and more aggressive beer. I’m glad I didn’t get that, though -- instead I got a very nice and drinkable IPA with enough malt to make it interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Not quite as hoppy as I expected, but very well balanced and tasty. Nice and dry, but smooth at the same time. Worth trying.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
JerseysBeast (19) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Wow, this one might take a little getting used to. I hope you like your hops if you drink this. The enjoyment of drinking this is ruined by severity of sensation in your mouth, which is probably an epic battle being waged between hops and taste buds.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
WISEGUY572 (1373) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 11, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2007 Balance? We don’t need no stinkin’ balance! Hops, hops, and more I hops. I love it. There is a little sweet malt and a little citrus and a little pine tar in the first parts of the taste, and then the massive dose of North West American hops really takes over. After that everything else just sort of burns off and there is nothing left but the sweetness and the bitterness. It is wonderful. Looks great, too, with a dark golden copper clarity. Yeah, I love it. Some of my European friends think it is soft of like drinking pine scented dish detergent ... but I have assured them this is just what an American IPA should taste like. I did this side by side with another favorite — Stone’s IPA — and this one is the clear winner. // Rerated 25 September. The beer is definitely as good as I remember it. But after hundreds of additional beers to choose from, I think I need to go back and recalibrate some of my earlier ratings. // Had this cask conditioned draft at the brewery this week and it was outstanding. I’m not sure if it is fair to mix the ratings of the cask and the bottled versions as if it were the same beer. The mouth feel of the cask conditioned ale is huge and creamy, more like a best bitter in a London bar than anything I have had in the States. The hoppy bitterness is still present, but the taste is more balanced as well. Just wonderful. // After countless additional bottles and glasses from the tap I realize that my rating the cask conditioned limited release along with the regular beer is misleading. This is a fine beer, but it is no longer on my short list of great American IPAs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fly (1419) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - DEC 9, 2002
while I definitley enjoyed this, I was waiting to get blown away by the hops. Decent ale, not mind blowing, but very well made.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JCW (1275) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 8, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2005 This is an excellent IPA. Its balanced and has a nice favor, hops are ’over the top’.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
document (36) - USA - DEC 7, 2002
UPDATED: APR 13, 2003 Very nice looking, with a creamy white head on the orange gold beer. In the grand scheme of massively hopped beers, not really so hoppy.. The deal breaker for me is that sugary, back of the tongue malt taste. It's present in quite a few beers I've had, and I loathe it. This one was bitter enough, at least, to still be drinkable. Fortunately the bar also has Sierra Nevada Celebration on tap, and all was soon well. [re-rate] Drinkable, but medicore. YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 4, 2002
Beautiful hoppy citrus aroma, gorgeous orange colour. . .the flavour was nice, but I must say I was expecting a little more, there just seemed to be something missing - in the finish. . .still a very nice IPA, but my expectations might have been a bit too high.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - NOV 29, 2002
What a wonderfully well balanced beer. Hoop in the nose, citris and pine, beautiful orange color with a medium lasting head. Flavor is full and long, hoppy throughout but with enough malts to take away the bitterness. Great finisher.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
pivo (2591) - GERMANY - NOV 27, 2002
Big, bold and aggressive - just what a hop-head like me loves. Brilliant hop aroma and taste with a very high resolution. Mono-dimensional - hops a-go-go! - but a full body to support the bitterness.