overall

RATINGS: 2946   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - OCT 21, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 18, 2005 Rerate 5/18/05 This stuff isnít really as great as I recall. I have taken down from 4.4 to current score after drinking a few more. This is, unequivocally, one of the top IPAís available. Absolutely gorgeous to look at and taste. The hops lend a complex spiciness which leaves a spruce residue in the mouth. The malts balance with charming warmth. A must have beer that, unfortunately, is unavailable in Michigan. Two-Hearted finally has found some competition in my IPA ratings.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ungstrup (29369) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - OCT 17, 2002
I have to rate this - even though itís some time since I had it (against my own rule). But this was without comparison my favorite beer from my June visit to the NE US. The hoppy bitterness stands out in a class of itís own - all I can say - try it - if You have the chance.

Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 14, 2002
A nice amber/copper color with a thin lasting head. Aroma is splendidly hoppy. The hops contribute a huge pine element on top of a lovely sweet malt backbone. A nice crisp finish really adds to this experience. Outstanding.

kaaskop99 (16) - escondido, California, USA - OCT 11, 2002
What a pleasant surprise when I tasted this in a syracuse bar , my first time ever , has a phenomenal malt flavor ( quite like a fullers ESB with a lot of hops) a world class IPA with a smooth aftertaste

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 9, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 12, 2003 Honey copper hue. Large rocky head. Floral hopped up aroma. This is one of my favorite IPA"s for sure. Delicate malt backbone supports medium bodied, giant hopped up lingering bitter finish. Faulkin AWESOME brew. Een better on draught.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
aracauna (3088) - Georgia, USA - OCT 7, 2002
Rerate 9/14/02: Had some great hoppy beers since this and itís sad to say but I have to drop my rating a bit. Not quite as floral as I remembered. More pine aroma and flavor. Nice appeareance, amber with decent head. Nice sweet malt really balances the hops. Just not the great earth-shattering experience I remember after Terrapin Rye PA and Stoneís IPAs. 5/6/02: I have to admit that this beer surprised me. Iím usually kind of iffy on IPAs and other hoppy beers, but I really liked this one. The aroma is very floral/perfumy. The taste is definitely hoppy, but not so bitter as to overwhelm the rest of the flavors in the beer. My fiancee described it as like drinking perfume, and it did have a powerful floral quality to it. I really enjoyed this beer, but Iím not sure if I could drink more than one or two in a sitting.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - OCT 5, 2002
Re-upgrading yet again. My, this is just simply the most spectacular session beer in the world. Improving this one based on the fact that Iím enjoying it more and more with every one I try. Excellent hoppiness balanced with maltiness. Very fruity in the hops in both the nose and flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Reathai (7) - USA - OCT 3, 2002 does not count
This is a nearly perfect beer. All business hopiness with a great color and sturdy head. A fruity start that gets smooth as you take it down. A high quality beer.

papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - OCT 3, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2009 Nice light caramel malt sweetness balanced with a dry, hoppy bitter citrus/ grapefruit taste. Really good, but expensive here in California. One of my top three favorite IPAís.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - SEP 30, 2002
Very clear, reddish amber, medium lasting head. Big fruity nose, citrus but also cherries and apples. Not as bitter as I expected (am I finally getting used to these big hop attacks?), and with a nice smoothness at the front that only gradually gives way to the bite, but not a lot of subtlety here either. Very good, with a great body, but could have more to the finish and flavor.