overall

RATINGS: 2860   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Davhgbrew (886) - Coconut Creek, Florida, USA - MAY 14, 2002
UPDATED: APR 2, 2014 Spicy,dark red and a little thicker than the other IPA’s I’ve had, but very smooth. When I have an IPA I want crisp and refreshing and this was more of chill and sip brew, and not your typical IPA. But for what it was I liked it. Re-Rate 5/14/02 This brew is damn hoppy, thus coining the name "Hop Devil," though I don’t know where I came up with the thick idea from. Orig rates 5/14/02...3.5. Amber, spicy floral, with big citrus notes. One of the classic quality craft ipa. Very hoppy citrus bitterness with caramel malt backing it substantialy.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - MAY 13, 2002
As my beer knowledge grows, I have found that I have gone from a newbie a few years ago who would cringe at the taste of hops to a seasoned pro, who craves a hoppy beer. I compared this to my beloved Bell’s Bell’s Two Hearted and found it to be just as good, excellent even. Pours out to a beautiful copper, with a slight head. Taste and smell is that of grapefruit and other citrus. The hop taste is fantastic, but doesn’t overwhelm the beer. I believe this is due to my palate digging hops, someone who is new to beer would probably make a face. I believe this could be a nice session quaffer. It went down that easy. I still give Bell’s a slight nod over Victory ONLY because Victory isn’t available in Michigan and Bell’s cloudy, golden give it just a slight appearance grade higher. But, if this beer were available here...it’d be a tie.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - MAY 11, 2002
Easily my favorite IPA, I wish I could get it in Austin, TX. Nice aroma, spiciness, maybe a hint of dull woodiness that I found downright classy. Hoppy taste but not overpowering. Nice mouthfeel and one of those lasting finishes that makes you wish you had another. Excellent!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
esomara (4) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 6, 2002 does not count
Not for the malt lover, this beer is uniquely hopped and has a satisfactory body. The aroma is second to none in strength. Suprisingly, the high alcohol content is not over-bearing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kathy (241) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 1, 2002
YUM! The aroma is wonderfully sweet. The color is a lovely amber. The flavor is a hoppy kick in the pants, exactly what a hop devil should be! The malt is there, but subtle. The biting hops are nicely balanced. Smooth and wonderfully bitter. A wonderful beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
argo0 (11181) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 1, 2002
Very nice IPA. Start off with a nice amber body that has a minimal head. Next, add in lovely grapefruit aroma. The flavor is solid citrusy hops, though it’s a bit unbalanced. Nice aftertaste. Goes great with chili.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dlclark (73) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - APR 30, 2002
I am a big IPA fan and rate this second only to Stone so far, with Bells two-hearted and Dogfish 90 minute right there as well. This beer is very well balanced, nice aroma and taste. Just a little too much grapefruit flavor which makes it slightly bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - APR 28, 2002
A good beer. Just not quite an IPA. Need to up the malt to be in the higher echelon of IPAs.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
obxdude10 (1971) - Limerick, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 24, 2002
Re-rate: Very hoppy flavor, complex body, very spicy aftertaste, nice hoppy floral aroma, kept a very nice head, great hoppy punch to it, excellent IPA

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TChrome (1399) - Bedford, Texas, USA - APR 21, 2002
This beer is very much about hops. It does have a malt element to it, but the malt, definitely pays second fiddle to the hops. Nicely layered, fairly complex brew. Looks absolutely gorgeous in the glass. Quite good.