overall

RATINGS: 3006   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Bold, spicy and menacingly delicious, this American-hopped India Pale Ale offers an aromatic punch and then follows through with a lasting, full-bodied finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 26, 2002
Great balance with the malt and the hops with a strong hop flavor and aroma. Beautiful color with nice dry finish that keeps me coming back for more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kyzr (1153) - Belgrade, Montana, USA - DEC 23, 2002
A great blend of malt and hop. Was thinking it would be a lot more hoppy, but was ever so suprised to find a great blend of the two.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
magruffltd (10) - USA - DEC 23, 2002
I agree with the last review. It was one of the best IPAs I ever had, but the quality has seemed to dropped on the last few batches.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dukefan (214) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 23, 2002
This is a strongly hopped yet most pleasantly blended IPA. Have to admit that it has slid down my list the last few months. But the beautiful mix of malts with aggressive hopping still makes this a classic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nlanza (18) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 22, 2002
Honestly, I was prepared for a much hoppier and more aggressive beer. I’m glad I didn’t get that, though -- instead I got a very nice and drinkable IPA with enough malt to make it interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Not quite as hoppy as I expected, but very well balanced and tasty. Nice and dry, but smooth at the same time. Worth trying.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
JerseysBeast (19) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Wow, this one might take a little getting used to. I hope you like your hops if you drink this. The enjoyment of drinking this is ruined by severity of sensation in your mouth, which is probably an epic battle being waged between hops and taste buds.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
WISEGUY572 (1373) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 11, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2007 Balance? We don’t need no stinkin’ balance! Hops, hops, and more I hops. I love it. There is a little sweet malt and a little citrus and a little pine tar in the first parts of the taste, and then the massive dose of North West American hops really takes over. After that everything else just sort of burns off and there is nothing left but the sweetness and the bitterness. It is wonderful. Looks great, too, with a dark golden copper clarity. Yeah, I love it. Some of my European friends think it is soft of like drinking pine scented dish detergent ... but I have assured them this is just what an American IPA should taste like. I did this side by side with another favorite — Stone’s IPA — and this one is the clear winner. // Rerated 25 September. The beer is definitely as good as I remember it. But after hundreds of additional beers to choose from, I think I need to go back and recalibrate some of my earlier ratings. // Had this cask conditioned draft at the brewery this week and it was outstanding. I’m not sure if it is fair to mix the ratings of the cask and the bottled versions as if it were the same beer. The mouth feel of the cask conditioned ale is huge and creamy, more like a best bitter in a London bar than anything I have had in the States. The hoppy bitterness is still present, but the taste is more balanced as well. Just wonderful. // After countless additional bottles and glasses from the tap I realize that my rating the cask conditioned limited release along with the regular beer is misleading. This is a fine beer, but it is no longer on my short list of great American IPAs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fly (1420) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - DEC 9, 2002
while I definitley enjoyed this, I was waiting to get blown away by the hops. Decent ale, not mind blowing, but very well made.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JCW (1275) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 8, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2005 This is an excellent IPA. Its balanced and has a nice favor, hops are ’over the top’.