overall

RATINGS: 787   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
This dark amber wheat beer features fruity and spicy aromas galore. Significant strength underlies the pleasant citric appeal of this bock beer. Redolent with the flavors of harvest fruit, Moonglow typifies the traditional weizenbock-style so thoroughly enjoyed throughout Bavaria. Left unfiltered, its unique yeast strain gives Moonglow a radiance all its own.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
TAR (2468) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JAN 20, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 1, 2008 Aroma is dominated by fruity notes of apples, musty yeast and hint of caramel malt. Palate is much lighter than I expected. Pours with a cloudy orange-brown color with fast dissipating head that ends up in a whisp of bubbles. Unexpected sour taste (green apples) with undertones of numbing caramel. Not bad.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 17, 2002
A dangerous beer that in no way hints that it is almost 9%. I got a spoiled apple taste that I couldnít get to like. Thanks VENOM!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
heykevin (1275) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - JAN 8, 2002
Iím a little disappointed with this one. All I got was apples, sour apples and lots of them. Maybe I am basing all my expectations on the aventinus standard, but I expected much more of the clove/banana phenolic flavor. I actually held back on rating this beer after my first taste to see if I got the same flavor out of more than one bottle, sadly I did. I will try this beer again, I hope it fares better. One good thing I can say is that it hid its alcohol well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - DEC 16, 2001
Unfiltered, deep copper. Looks like apple cider. Smells of cloves, apples and other spices. Malt,banana, cloves, pears and a citric pop on the palate that is melded together quite impressivley. The citric acidity adds some balance and character. Could use a little more body but im not complaining. Wait, theres alcohol in this? Superb brewing. Nicely done and quite the treat. If comparing to Aventinus, not as thick or creamy but stands on its own quite well. Definitley top shelf and is something to come back to. Thank you Venom!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
fuchebu (146) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 6, 2001
An outstanding interpretation of a wheat bock. Theoís pupils have learned well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
aledrinkerLS (101) - New Brunswick, USA - NOV 28, 2001
This stuff is excellent. Typical wheat beer profile highliting the banana and clove undertones in the taste and aroma. Silky smooth mouthfeel, and dangerously drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
legion242 (2174) - Richardson, Texas, USA - NOV 28, 2001
Cloudy, dirty brown; Head starts thick and dissipates quickly; Lots of apples in the aroma. This one completely reminded me of old-style apple juice in appearance and aroma. Alcohol masked completely until about 3/4 through when you feel it in your head. The palate was maybe the most disappointing aspect of this beer, I really expect more heft in the mouth when I drink this style. Every other weizen-bock that I ever had was full of bananas and I thought it was strange that this one was all apples. I saw pears in other reviews, but I sensed apples. I will definitely need to revisit this one. Thank you VENOM!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Oakes (12361) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 16, 2001
VENOM is giving this one away like it was Big Daddy IPA, but I donít see anyone complaining. Itís been a while I had the opportunity to catapult a beer into the Top Ten, but Iím afraid it wonít happen today. Very nice beer, though - cloudy chestnut appearance; lovely aroma of banana, soft malt (biscuits, soft caramel tones) and pears. The palate is a little less complex, but brings wheat, pears and rounded malt flavours to the table. It is fairly acidic, and that helps balance out the malts, leaving the brew far more drinkable than one would prefer an 8.7%íer to be.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2001
Awesome. Fruity and yeasty aroma, dark cloudy light brown color. Fruity, apple and citrus tastes with a distinct malty finish. A new beer for my top ten.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ssurp (23) - trenton, New Jersey, USA - OCT 17, 2001
This is real nice. Love the yeast notes in this one. Fruit/citrus highlights in the middle, finishes with a great malt character. This is delicious.