RATINGS: 1622   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Luxuriously rich in character, this warming winter ale delivers over 10% alcohol in an oh-so-seductive manner. Deliciously fruity flavors lie under a bracing hop nose.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 19, 2003
A copper color with an off-white diminished head. A nutty aroma with some caramel maltiness and hops. A hoppiness right up front and a few more hops then a few more hops and finally a little citrus. A touch astringent and bitter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 15, 2003
(bottle) This is a hard one to rate. I have enjoyed most of the other Victory beers and liked a bunch of them. And I was looking forward to try this one. I guess I rate this lower than others because it tasted of that 11% alcohol. I felt like I was drinking whiskey instead of beer. The beer did seem to mellow as it warmed and I got used to it. And it has a full range of flavors, so I rate it fairly high.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - APR 14, 2003
I may have to marry the Victory guy--(I hope it is a guy.) A nice, inviting brew from nose to finish...very pleasing.

LilBill66 (9) - Glassboro, New Jersey, USA - APR 11, 2003 does not count
Every year this beer knocks me off my feet. I have yet to find a better Barleywine. Fruity, malty, hoppy, sweet...this beer has it all. I can't say enough about it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Uglyradio (791) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - APR 8, 2003
This one has a clear, dark amber color with a thin, off-white head. The aroma is fruity, slightly hoppy, has a decent bit of malt sweetness and is very tantalizing. The flavor is very smooth and quite malty upfront with a lot of fruity notes. The finish is lingering and slightly bitter from the hops. Nicely balanced between the hops and malts, this is an exceptional brew. The alcohol is well hidden in the flavor but you do get a nice warming sensation. Very nice, smooth, and easy drinking for its strength. Thanks to ConiseurofBeer for the bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kalisto9 (73) - Crafton, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 7, 2003
Nice...on the strong side with the fruity flavor and bitterness (not a bad thing here), but it's a good, heavy sort of brew that should satisfy those looking for something more than fratboy garbage. Well worth the case price, too. A very fine brew, indeed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
KURTO99 (18) - wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 6, 2003
Typically well done brew by Victory. This beer has a nice balance and gets better as it moves to room temperature. Not as hoppy as big foot, but probably a better balanced beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - APR 5, 2003
I'll go along with nstal with this one. It looks, smells, and tastes very much like Lagunitas Olde Gnarly Wine. That is a good thing. Very sweet aroma, apples, pear, maltiness, and some alcohol. The flavor was very sweet as well...very fruity. The alcohol was well hidden until the finish where it showed up as a nice warmth in the throat. Yummy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jsquire (3866) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - APR 4, 2003
Meduim amber in color with a floral, alcohol nose. Very sweet flavor of dark brown sugar, burnt caramel and subtle butterscotch notes. Great balance as the sweet trails into a strong hop bitterness. Great all around barley wine. Many thanks to ConiseurofBeer for this bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - APR 1, 2003
A much smoother barleywine than Bell's Third Coast Old Ale- not as hoppy either. The hop, however is pronounced enough to balance the fruity sweetness nicely. Old Horizontal is top notch. I need to have a barleywine-off between Horizontal, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale and Three Floyd's Behemouth. Based on memory I'd give it to Three Floyds since their crazy hops are the best I've tasted.