overall

RATINGS: 1593   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Luxuriously rich in character, this warming winter ale delivers over 10% alcohol in an oh-so-seductive manner. Deliciously fruity flavors lie under a bracing hop nose.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
rpattinson (84) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - FEB 1, 2007
Dark amber colour with little head; grapefruit, lemon and caramel aromas; sweetish/bitter taste with caramel, dates, citrus and pine aromas; bitter finsih with caramel, toffee and pine aromas. A reasonable beer, but the malt and hop flavours clash in the mouth. Lacking complexity for a beer of its strength.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jthg (84) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 20, 2009
I had this one last night. I didn’t want a barley wine but I figured I needed to taste such a highly valued beer. The Horizontal was amazing. It has a sweetness like from C20. And, if it can be said for a barley wine - well balanced. Not overly bitter.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PolakPorter (83) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 30, 2008
One of my all-time favs. Dark luscious caramel color. The aroma consists of a wild combination of nearly every fruit found in the western hemisphere. Going down, it is seductively sticky. The array of sweet fruits becomes apparent and the alcohol performs its warming effect. At about that time, it becomes obvious that this is an excellent barley wine. Not at all overpowering, but not for the weak. Really glad I stocked up on this one last spring!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
valejo (81) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - JUN 10, 2005
What a yummy beer. The good news is I have four more. The bad news is they sat in my hot car for a week. Do you think they’ll be okay?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jobrewmeister (81) - - MAR 28, 2012
Pours a red amber with a tan head. Very nice lacing. Smell is of toasted malts, cherries, caramel. Came on very strong, candy/malt opening and middle, with a with a hop bite finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
suchen (81) - , Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 16, 2009
UPDATED: APR 7, 2009 The pour was a nice slightly murky copper-brown. I have to first say that I am not a fan of over-hopping. When the lively hop aroma assailed my nostrils, I thought oh great here we go again. Having said that, when I had my first taste it blew me away! One of the thickest and most mouth-filling beers I’ve yet rated. And warming is right! The barely noticeable a.b.v. nevertheless reaches right down to your toes and out to your fingertips. Hops are wonderfully balanced with the thick malty sweetness of the brew, but (unfortunately for me) the beer finishes on a strongly hoppy and modestly bitter note leaving the taste of mellower flowery hops.

seekingup2 (80) - - DEC 12, 2011
Since Im not a huge barleywine fan, i didnt expect to like this...and I was wrong. Great beer!! Huge flavor without having the "wine" kind of flavor to it. For an 11% barleywine I couldnt be more surprised with how good this was!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Merrill (78) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 26, 2009
12oz from Kenwood bottle-shop. Pours dark amber with off white or light brown head that sticks around the edges, spotty lace. Aroma is mild caramel malt and wet socks with slight alcohol zing.Aroma is very light, belying the bold, deep malt pine-sap, turpentine-oak with a delightful hop front and surprisingly mild bittering. "Barley wine-style" is a name I believe denotes a "lite" or "dumbed-down" version of a very old style that few are willing to go all the way with (DFH comes to mind), but this is marvelously bold and terrifically well balanced. you could drink pint after pint of this and fall down very satisfied!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
HoppyScallywag (77) - Butler, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 14, 2013
Pretty sweet, but certainly drinkable. I had a bomber of it. Probably could of had a 12oz bottle after that, but that's it. Then again...the bomber did the trick anyway. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
braudimusprime (75) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - APR 14, 2005
Considering how thick and malty this beer is, it’s also incredibly drinkable. Tangy, fruity aroma follows a dark brown pour with no head. Taste is strong, bright malts, warming honey and alcohol, with a noticable hop finish. This would be solid enough without the hops, but wow. A wonderful, welcoming ale, even when the weather gets warmer.