overall

RATINGS: 1562   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Luxuriously rich in character, this warming winter ale delivers over 10% alcohol in an oh-so-seductive manner. Deliciously fruity flavors lie under a bracing hop nose.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Spliffy (55) - Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA - MAR 11, 2007
I smell victory. They make good beer. Nice aroma, sweet and gooey. Good lacing in the glass and good alcohol covering. Donít realize the strength until you stand up afetr a few. Nice touch of hops and I will have more some day for sure, if I can pull myself away from IPAís

CapnJazz (52) - Binghamton, New York, USA - MAR 7, 2010
07 and 08 bottles after the Gratitude release. Both look chestnut brown in the glass but are red when held to the light. 07 really malty, boozy. Some bitter hops, just dominated by strong malt and fruits like dates and rasins. 08 was great, way better than 07. Malt a bit more subdued, with a perfect balance between malt sugars, dark fruit notes, and some bittering hops. 08 works perfectly at this age. Rating is a combination of the two bottles.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DTB (51) - South Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2006
This beer came in a tulip glass that looked like an orb of dark glowing cherries with a dark tan head that left some slight lace. Smelled of dark fruits, brandy, caramel and a little touch of pineapple and cedar. The taste floored me! I took a sip and just sat back for the ride. Tasted of thick burnt caramel and thick dark prunes and plumbs. There was also spicy yeast mixed with cloves and other spices. The flavors went by so fast, it was hard to pin them all down. Around the edge of my tongue, there were dry hop bubbles that swirled around that didnít interfere with the flavor, but complemented it nicely. The finish was dynamic too! Faded from all of this, to chocolate, and then to cherries and left me with a nice warming. Fantastic! Mouth feel was a few shades shy of chewy, so it was still very drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hoptimus (50) - Grand Island, New York, USA - MAR 27, 2008
growler. Beautiful cloudy reddish-brown appearance, very small white head. Smells of pine, fruit and alcohol. Fruity, but not as sweet as I expected, some alcohol present. Very warming finish that lingers. Nice hop character that is especially apparent in the aftertaste, but this brew is not overly hopped...nice malt balance. Excellent brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dutch70 (48) - USA - MAY 6, 2006
Prunes, raisins, malts, alcohol...not the best Barley Wine I have had but still very nice....nice color, nice flavor

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 2, 2001
What hit me 1st with this beer were the extreme hops! If you like a hoppy beer, which I do. Then how the taste still lingered on the palate long after you finished. I donít think Victory is capable of putting out a bad product. This beer certainly lives up to its reputation, too many of these ..... Unfortunately I only got to try one, and that one only left me wanting more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dwr1962 (47) - Wellsburg, West Virginia, USA - AUG 16, 2004
Heavy malt aroma and taste, followed by a strong hop finish. It adds up to a good balance. Mellows with age- I have some from almost 2 yrs. ago, and itís interesting (age some if interested). A superb brew- one of the very best Iíve had. A great sipper.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
liquidcrack (44) - Ohio, USA - MAR 16, 2005
tap. deep amber color. little head. definite fruity aroma with full flavor of hops, malts, and hint of alcohol that follows. well balance beer on the best of barley list. good social beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
urraca (44) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 7, 2008
My first Barley Wine, and it’s a good one. I wasn’t sure if I’d enjoy it, but I certainly did. Fairly opaque orange pour with a small light brown head. Initial smell test presents a lot of hops. Pretty sweat, with some hops, but smooths over with a good amount of malts. Feels very smooth and almost creamy in my mouth. Finishes with a hint of alcohol, closing out in a very complex taste.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ghostwheel (43) - Hauppauge, New York, USA - APR 26, 2004
Awesome hop flavor, sweet but not too sweet. Extremely smooth and a great taste. I was drunk when I reviewed this, so I don't remember much.