overall

RATINGS: 1570   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Luxuriously rich in character, this warming winter ale delivers over 10% alcohol in an oh-so-seductive manner. Deliciously fruity flavors lie under a bracing hop nose.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2003
Amber in color with a medium head. By the smell you can tell this was brewed by Victory it has that orange/hops aroma. Taste reminds me of their Hopdevil as for the hops taste. Hides the 11% ABV very well.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 15, 2003
(bottle) This is a hard one to rate. I have enjoyed most of the other Victory beers and liked a bunch of them. And I was looking forward to try this one. I guess I rate this lower than others because it tasted of that 11% alcohol. I felt like I was drinking whiskey instead of beer. The beer did seem to mellow as it warmed and I got used to it. And it has a full range of flavors, so I rate it fairly high.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
eczematic (1319) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - JUN 14, 2003
hit a wall with this one after no dinner and a large array of great beers of accelerating ABV - had a few sips and then decided to call it a night and stumble off into the darkness. strangely enough my handwriting is pretty clear. lovely deep mushroom/earthy/malty aroma. flavour is thick beautiful vanilla-malt stuff ruined by nasty cascade attack - by the end of the night i guess i was pretty bored with the american hops. thanx dufffff

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TimE (3184) - Tokyo, JAPAN - DEC 25, 2003
I sampled a one year old and just couldn't groove on it too much. I just love British Barley wine, but once again I find American BW too hoppy. The nose was beautiful I have to admit with peaches, raspberries and whiffs of chocolate. However, the body was not rounded at all and was a total hopfest while the malt only gave off cloying caramel attributes. Finishing nice and bitter. Not bad, but somewhat overrated in IMO.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Metalhead (628) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - SEP 27, 2004
Bottled on Nov. 10-03. Poured a hazy light amber,slight carbonation.Nose was mild hops with a sweetness to it. Tasted of mild hops,slightly sweet fleshy fruits and hints of white grapes. Could stand to age another year but fairly good now tho not like I had hoped.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JAN 3, 2005
A hoppy barleywine that might fit my "tasty barleywine" profile in a few years, but is too young at the moment (from the fresth batch). Grapefruity, with shades of malts and caramel, as well as an almost too noticable alcohol taste. I am excited for some time to pass though so I can try this one with a little age into it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
wxman (1428) - O’Fallon, Illinois, USA - MAR 21, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 15, 2009 Very good, but not great. Not much of an aroma; kind of like Michelob Amber Bock. An off sweet, citrusy flavor yet quite clean tasting/feeling. Listed as a barleywine, but tastes lagered to me. Enjoyable malty, hoppy aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
frankenkitty (1959) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2005
Not as impressed as I thought I’d be. Looks beautiful, with a mahogany body and large khaki head. Spiderweb lacing. Complex aroma: sour malt, floral perfumed hops and a touch of wet dog. Lots of alcohol up front in the nose. Flavor is moderate malted sweetness along with a vinous sourness. Not great... simply good.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Beverage Depot<font size=-1>

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 11, 2005
Thanks to The_Beer_God for the bottle. Pours a hazy brown orange color. Small white head. Alcohol aroma, with dried fruit notes. Syrupy sweet nose, followed by big malt flavors and a rather estery yeast imprint. Some pine and apricot notes in the finish, braced by a noticable alcohol warmth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
diabel (1607) - Aarschot, BELGIUM - OCT 16, 2005
Bottle at the RBG Low Countries 2005 tasting session
Amber to black, muddy body. Fully, diminishing head. No lace. Nose of molasses, straw, flowers, liquor, ... Heavly sweet initial flavour. Moderately sweet long intense finish. Quite good balanced. Very fully bodied and a little bit astringent. Lively carbonation. A little bit to alcoholic and intense for me, but yeah, that’s what barley wines supposed to be, aren’t they?