overall

RATINGS: 1637   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Luxuriously rich in character, this warming winter ale delivers over 10% alcohol in an oh-so-seductive manner. Deliciously fruity flavors lie under a bracing hop nose.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
dogfishho (669) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - APR 17, 2006
Aroma is of dried fruit and alcohol, primarily. Appearance in my snifter is an unspectacular coudly reddish brown with nearly no head after pouring. Flavor is plentiful and interesting. Vanilla, mixed fruits, and a sweet maple taste. Carbonation is noticeable on the palate and not extremely pleasureable. Moutfeel is syrupy and unpleasant. Overall, the flavor is the saving grace of this beer considering the lack of anything spectacular in the other categories.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
blueduk (118) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Wow, this has some high ratings. What a surprise, it has over 10% alcohol by volume. This beer is good, and it’s good for its style. Maybe my bottle was too young, but I think we need a reality check. The beer poured clear amber with a thin tan fizzy head. The first whiff is an assult of fresh fruity citrus hops, orange and lemon. After recovering, malty notes are dectecable, mainly caramel, oak, and vanilla, which are also present in the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is soft and smooth, carrying fruit beneath bitterness of a magnitude I wasn’t expecting. This bitterness lasted long into the finish, forgetting the nice malty underbelly. The alcohol was very noticeable by mid-bottle. This is a good barleywine, but not the best. I think it’s a step below the examples from Sierra Nevada, AleSmith, and Stone, which are not as rough around the edges.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
oldrtybastrd (4951) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - JUN 8, 2006
Pours a dark amber color, with a off white head that had some lacing power. Aromas of citrus, sweet malts, and some alcohol. Flavor isn’t as sweet as I was led to believe. You can taste the alcohol from the get go, what follows is a nice mellow brown sugar (I Guess) sweetness that finishes with a nice bitter hop.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jonas (6673) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - JUL 12, 2006
Sampled at LCRBM 05. Extreme wooden aroma. Cloudy red brown. Wooden cognac flavors, quite sweet. Wooden dusty aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
gnoff (9496) - Mölndal, SWEDEN - OCT 9, 2006
(Bottle 12 Fl oz) Shady red orange color, tan head. Citrus hoppy scent, some butter. Sweet and some alcohol as well. Thick mouthfeel. Alcohol taste, warming. Sweet and malty. Sweet aftertaste. A little bit grainy. Medium bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
PattyBoy (302) - North Liberty, Iowa, USA - NOV 5, 2006
Pours mahogany, minimal head. Flavor is overly sweet and spicy. Dark fruits, toffee, caramel with spicy hops. Alcohol is barely noticeable. This just isn’t a style I like, but this seems good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - FEB 15, 2003
Amber in color with a medium head. By the smell you can tell this was brewed by Victory it has that orange/hops aroma. Taste reminds me of their Hopdevil as for the hops taste. Hides the 11% ABV very well.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 15, 2003
(bottle) This is a hard one to rate. I have enjoyed most of the other Victory beers and liked a bunch of them. And I was looking forward to try this one. I guess I rate this lower than others because it tasted of that 11% alcohol. I felt like I was drinking whiskey instead of beer. The beer did seem to mellow as it warmed and I got used to it. And it has a full range of flavors, so I rate it fairly high.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
eczematic (1325) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - JUN 14, 2003
hit a wall with this one after no dinner and a large array of great beers of accelerating ABV - had a few sips and then decided to call it a night and stumble off into the darkness. strangely enough my handwriting is pretty clear. lovely deep mushroom/earthy/malty aroma. flavour is thick beautiful vanilla-malt stuff ruined by nasty cascade attack - by the end of the night i guess i was pretty bored with the american hops. thanx dufffff

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TimE (4884) - Tokyo, JAPAN - DEC 25, 2003
I sampled a one year old and just couldn't groove on it too much. I just love British Barley wine, but once again I find American BW too hoppy. The nose was beautiful I have to admit with peaches, raspberries and whiffs of chocolate. However, the body was not rounded at all and was a total hopfest while the malt only gave off cloying caramel attributes. Finishing nice and bitter. Not bad, but somewhat overrated in IMO.