overall

RATINGS: 1562   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Luxuriously rich in character, this warming winter ale delivers over 10% alcohol in an oh-so-seductive manner. Deliciously fruity flavors lie under a bracing hop nose.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
jcwattsrugger (11076) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - JUL 9, 2005
12 oz bottle-pours a tan, rich head. Color is a deep cloudy reddish-orange. A hoppy with citrus aroma. Taste is alcohol, then sweet-malty & hopscome through. Not to my taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
redave (165) - squaw valley, California, USA - JUN 17, 2010
Sorry but meh... Pours a hazy orangish amber, red tint? nice head. Not so lacy, head dissipates. Aroma.. not much there... Kinda boozy tasting... some hops, but ? maybe a different kind? Some fruit prunes? not a good after taste.. Hops gone.... Maybe an old bottle, [NO DATE!] but Barely-wines usually age OK... Hate to compare to Big Foot, but... this was pretty expensive, shipped across the state, and well a 6 pack of Big foot, 9 bucks.. I’ll not have this again, unless....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
geologyguy (650) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - MAR 29, 2014
citrus smell to it, taste is too hoppy for me, especially for a barleywine! I appreciate different takes on the styles but this is too much!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
MERUBADOO (6) - Flossmoor, Illinois, USA - MAR 11, 2003 does not count
I WAS NOT IMPRESSED W/ THIS BARLEYWINE. WHILE I AM A HOP DEVIL ADVOCATE, I WANTED MORE MALTINESS TO BALANCE OUT THE HOPS...TOMORROW AND TOMORROW AND TOMORRW, CREEPS IN THIS PETTY PACE FROM DAY TO DAY....I'M MISSING THE SWEET COMPLEXITY THAT I SO ENJOY IN A STRONG ALE.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - JUN 11, 2003
This beer reached right up and tickled my kidneys. Strong hoppy taste and high alcohol content ... it thoroughly beat me down and made me call it big poppa.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
hiphops (286) - caldwell, New Jersey, USA - FEB 24, 2006
fuck this beer it tastes great for an ipa or pale ale but it doesn’t really taste like a barley wine. so easy on the hops. i love hops just not in my barley wine. nigga

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
BillKismet (3321) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 10, 2002
I have had my share of barley wines and have not been impressed. I specifically sought out this beer because of its stellar rating, yet--invariably, I found again that I do not have an appreciation of this style. Old horizontal has a healthy red-amber hue and pours a nice head. The aroma intimated a cloyingly sweet, winy taste with which I had been familiar. The beer itself had a vinous, cloying body that was quite unpleasantly balanced to my tastes. While it may be a good beer for the style--and possibly a beer to tempt novelty seekers as well as barley wine lovers, I found it a decidely unpleasant drinking experience.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - JUL 17, 2005
Bottle. Sorry but I don’t know why this is top 50 it tasted really bad to me. Normal barleywine color, aroma, and flavor, but too much alcohol killed this for me. Complex but not my style

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
jonwayne4883 (401) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 18, 2007
wow this one packs a punch. quite a bit of alcohol in this one and i didnt like how long that lingered. not very thick for having this much ABV content.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
apazda (13) - New York, USA - FEB 28, 2010
Not a particularly good barley wine. A lot of sediment in the bottle, body is too light, and the aftertaste dissipates quickly.