overall

RATINGS: 1584   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Luxuriously rich in character, this warming winter ale delivers over 10% alcohol in an oh-so-seductive manner. Deliciously fruity flavors lie under a bracing hop nose.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeaverBrown (245) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 28, 2003
Brownish orange color with a desipating tan head. Smells like dog. Tangy bitter and astringent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mribm (458) - Ocala, Florida, USA - NOV 16, 2003
Draught. First let me say that I'm not a big barley wine lover. I am a big fan of Victory beers, so I decided to try it. It looks like syrup, pours like syrup and tastes like a sweet syrup with an alcohol backbone. Very warming, yet too syrupy to drink in any large amounts. I don't think I'd try this again, although it didn't have any offensive flavors in it. It just wasn't my favorite style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kane (111) - USA - FEB 20, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2005 Sometimes I get my barleywines mixed up from the past because I could swear this had some hop character in the past, but I could be wrong. Caramel malts and alcohol are out front with the alcohol being a bit strong for me. A run of the mill barley-wine that I can not figure why it is a top 50 beer. Very average IMO.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
sweetnlow (19) - Hudson, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 13, 2005
I’ve had two bottles from the same six-pack on consecutive days. One poured dark and clear, the other dark and cloudy. Both were pleasantly sweet and mildly hopped. Nice, but I prefer Bigfoot.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Homer321 (2152) - Rock Ridge, Florida, USA - NOV 20, 2008
courtesy of mcbackus. very malty and sweet. very little hop aroma. smells salty like soy sauce as it warms. definite alcohol in the nose. beautiful light caramel color. starts bitter with malt balance. lacks fruitiness and complexity. not a great barley wine.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gethinbeer (2211) - Nova Scotia, CANADA - DEC 21, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2010 From bottle. Very rich fruity aroma. Cherry red in colour with a thin lace. Rich fruity flavour. Spicy and tangy. Nice but not my style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
matthewjk (939) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 5, 2010
UPDATED: AUG 9, 2010 $12 sixer - Finally broke down and took a gamble on this one. Let me clarify, Victory is no gamble, but any barley wine is. Better than the limited number of barley wines that I have tried, but this is still not my thing. Won’t be re-buying, but will be horizontal after I destroy this sixer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
RONCOD (221) - Uledi, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 6, 2011
Dark orange color with almost no head. Bitter, hop flavor with a lot of alcohol. The finish was a slightly sweet caramel. It’s OK, but not something I would try again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
ARMed (613) - Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 9, 2003
Golden colored ale with a high degree of clarity for a barley wine. Frothy head that quickly disspates. Pretty good lacing, but not overly viscous. Very complex with a ton of esters poping out of the lightly carbonated base. Alcohol is very noticeable. Not hidden enough for me. Extremely powerful flavor with a nice warming sensation that helps subdue the the alcohol. Difficult to drink more than 6 oz. Not really my cup of tea though.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Sammy (8947) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 25, 2004
an easy drink. Nice moderate use of hops and head that disipitates. Brown/amber. Unique in It didn't seem like 11%. Malt and alcohol winter warmer. Hint of orange citrus in syrup. Somewhat dry and bitter aftertaste.